Overthrow the board!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shades
Club Player

Overthrow the board!

Remember when GT got the sack?
Everyone freaked out and we got rid of Butters and co. We were sold a dream of “Footy First” I voted for them and I’m sure a lot of you did as well.
The last move from the Butters era was bringing in Ross Lyon who IMO is the best coach we have had since Alan Jeans.

The new board took over and we had a decent amount of success. They took the credit but credit should have been given to Butters and co.

What happened after that shows that we were all blatantly lied to.

They moved us to Seaford.
They let Ross walk out of the club. (They had plenty of opportunities to resign him.)
Signed Watters.
Forced out Goddard and replaced him with Tom Lee.
Let Dal go for nothing
Traded McEvoy for Savage and a pick that I think we used on Dunstan.
Sacked Watters (fair enough)
Signed Richo.
sold us a plan to be top 4 by 2018 (we are 15th with 4wins) and to win a flag by 2020.
Moved back to Moorabbin (what a waste of money)
Resigned Richo when it could have been left for another year.

They did all this to fast forward our rebuild. We choose Billings at pick 3.
Paddy at pick 1 then a bunch of 2nd 3rd and 4th round players in the draft.

When you look at Melbourne who traded heavily to get top end talent. Even Carlton did the same. They are horrible now but they have players that have a bright future. We sat there with no imagination and brought in late picks and players who couldn’t get a game for there previous clubs (Brown and Carlisle are the exceptions)

This board has ruined the club I bleed for.
They have ruined the culture that GT and Ross worked so hard to fix.
They treated our champions with absolutely no respect. Got rid of so much experience and now we have no leaders.
If we had of kept BJ and Dal I’m sure we would be much better placed right now.
We basically did a Melbourne.

All the success we had in the 2000s were because of decisions that the Butters board made.

We sacked Butters because he fired GT
But he was the one that appointed Ross.

It has been failure after failure. It’s time for a clean out from top to bottom. We as members have the power to do so.

Are you with me?

P.S. I apologise in advance if I missed anything or if any of my info is wrong as I wrote this from memory.

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Overthrow the board!

Only corrections :
Melbourne previously traded or let go verterans ( which supports your argument) in James McDonald and 1 other.
Also not all trades they did worked remember trade pick 2 ( Kelly) for a pick ( salem ) and Dom Tyson ( now a fringe player)

Sorry being pedantic but the gist of what you say is correct

BenLong#21
Club Player

It is a shame Butters personal life spiraled out of control because up until then he did a very good job.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:00pm It is a shame Butters personal life spiraled out of control because up until then he did a very good job.
Was he actually doing a bad job when he was rolled?

Face it he was rolled because of GT's sacking and the fact we missed Finals in 2007 playing unattractive footy. I doubt those things had anything to do with Butters' substance issues. Indeed many people with substance issues can still function well in their job.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Butterss hired and sacked Blight within a year, making us a laughing stock.

For a replacement he hired his mate, coach of Warnnambool, making us a laughing stock.

He fell out with his mate and fired him after a creditable performance in an Elimination Final, making us a laughing stock.

He was an IT millionaire and coke snorter. A laughing stock.

The "success" of the club in the Noughties was thanks to shrewd recruiting (albeit missing out on Judd) and the GT/Ross culture change.

BenLong#21
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:58pm Only corrections :
Melbourne previously traded or let go verterans ( which supports your argument) in James McDonald and 1 other.
Also not all trades they did worked remember trade pick 2 ( Kelly) for a pick ( salem ) and Dom Tyson ( now a fringe player)

Sorry being pedantic but the gist of what you say is correct
They infamously got pick 3 compo for James Frawley which they used on Angus Brayshaw.
Brayshaw got 27 disposals, 10 tackles and a goal today.

They also got Petracca in that draft. 20 disposals and 2 goals today.

BenLong#21
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:23pm Butterss hired and sacked Blight within a year, making us a laughing stock.

For a replacement he hired his mate, coach of Warnnambool, making us a laughing stock.

He fell out with his mate and fired him after a creditable performance in an Elimination Final, making us a laughing stock.

He was an IT millionaire and coke snorter. A laughing stock.

The "success" of the club in the Noughties was thanks to shrewd recruiting (albeit missing out on Judd) and the GT/Ross culture change.
Thomas won 52% of his games and won 2 finals.
Hardly a laughing stock.

I agree they became a laughing stock at the end when both lost the plot. But for a few years we were humming along with stars like Harvey, Hayes, Riewoldt, G train etc.

BenLong#21
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:13pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:00pm It is a shame Butters personal life spiraled out of control because up until then he did a very good job.
Was he actually doing a bad job when he was rolled?

Face it he was rolled because of GT's sacking and the fact we missed Finals in 2007 playing unattractive footy. I doubt those things had anything to do with Butters' substance issues. Indeed many people with substance issues can still function well in their job.
Some can but by his own admission he had lost the plot in 2007. He wasn't functioning at all.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Shades wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:53pm Remember when GT got the sack?
Everyone freaked out and we got rid of Butters and co. We were sold a dream of “Footy First” I voted for them and I’m sure a lot of you did as well.
The last move from the Butters era was bringing in Ross Lyon who IMO is the best coach we have had since Alan Jeans.

The new board took over and we had a decent amount of success. They took the credit but credit should have been given to Butters and co.

What happened after that shows that we were all blatantly lied to.

They moved us to Seaford.
They let Ross walk out of the club. (They had plenty of opportunities to resign him.)
Signed Watters.
Forced out Goddard and replaced him with Tom Lee.
Let Dal go for nothing
Traded McEvoy for Savage and a pick that I think we used on Dunstan.
Sacked Watters (fair enough)
Signed Richo.
sold us a plan to be top 4 by 2018 (we are 15th with 4wins) and to win a flag by 2020.
Moved back to Moorabbin (what a waste of money)
Resigned Richo when it could have been left for another year.

They did all this to fast forward our rebuild. We choose Billings at pick 3.
Paddy at pick 1 then a bunch of 2nd 3rd and 4th round players in the draft.

When you look at Melbourne who traded heavily to get top end talent. Even Carlton did the same. They are horrible now but they have players that have a bright future. We sat there with no imagination and brought in late picks and players who couldn’t get a game for there previous clubs (Brown and Carlisle are the exceptions)

This board has ruined the club I bleed for.
They have ruined the culture that GT and Ross worked so hard to fix.
They treated our champions with absolutely no respect. Got rid of so much experience and now we have no leaders.
If we had of kept BJ and Dal I’m sure we would be much better placed right now.
We basically did a Melbourne.

All the success we had in the 2000s were because of decisions that the Butters board made.

We sacked Butters because he fired GT
But he was the one that appointed Ross.

It has been failure after failure. It’s time for a clean out from top to bottom. We as members have the power to do so.

Are you with me?

P.S. I apologise in advance if I missed anything or if any of my info is wrong as I wrote this from memory.
Didn't Butterss get the arse cause he was a raging drug addict?

Shades
Club Player

I think you are missing the point

BenLong#21
Club Player

Being a laughing stock is actually a step up from where we are now.

Nobody even bothers to waste the energy making fun of us anymore.

We are simply irrelevant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:47pm Being a laughing stock is actually a step up from where we are now.

Nobody even bothers to waste the energy making fun of us anymore.

We are simply irrelevant.
Great post
Yep we are beige saints....
Butters had faults but he did do a lot of good.....also wanted Judd but GT assured him “ Ball was better stock with no shoulder problems...” I believe to this day had we landed Judd with Roo Hayes et al in that side we would have multiple flags now...
Anyhoo back to current day mess....
One thing Butters and Co did have that this current admin don’t: they literally loved the club
I only met butters once and was blown away by just how down to earth and passionate he was about the club - he had his demons, many do, but I think history has overlooked a lot of good he did and I agree - Lyon is the best coach (for his time) we’ve had since Jeans .

“Yeah….nah””
jaxons
Club Player

It’s a pity that advertising crew involved with Chemist Warehouse pulled out.
Would have been the best thing ever for our club.
Tough and uncompromising crew with money and connections and to top it off footy savvy.
We need some serious people to take hold of this club and quickly.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:35pm It’s a pity that advertising crew involved with Chemist Warehouse pulled out.
Tough and uncompromising crew with money and connections and to top it off footy savvy.

It sounds like the subtext to all the public utterings from Finnis, Summers et al is that the board realise Richardson is a lemon but don’t have the nuts to put us another half a million in debt to get rid of him. Is that the case do you reckon or do the board and Finnis really believe Richardson has what it takes?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

jaxons wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:35pm It’s a pity that advertising crew involved with Chemist Warehouse pulled out.
Well who's out there?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I understand there were 2 groups forming, Shostack (Chemist Warehouse Advertising) and another group.

As you've mentioned the Shostack group pulled out. I was told that the other group was made up of people who had run the Club before and members wouldn't be enthused about them, that may just be the opinion of the person who passed on the info. I was advised that Grant Thomas was involved, in what role I don't know.

If there is a change, I agree it must happen quickly, October/November is too late. Would I be optimistic to hope that post Round 23 the Club will make the right decisions and avoid the need for such tumult.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Shades wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:40pm I think you are missing the point
The point becomes somewhat invalid though if it's not based on or supported by facts.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:13pm.... I think history has overlooked a lot of good he did and I agree - Lyon is the best coach (for his time) we’ve had since Jeans .
Our of curiosity, specifically what did that board do?

I remember they signed the docklands deal and hired Blight, but I don't recall much else.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone notice this: Grant Thomas tweeted this on last Thursday night (2/8), in response to a question asking how to make the Saints relevent again:

"Complete reboot. From top to bottom. Passive. Predictable. Pedestrian. Nice. Accomodating. Lacking dynamic leadership that can drive cultural change. I’m afraid we are rudderless & in a similar state to early in the millennium".

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:16pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:13pm.... I think history has overlooked a lot of good he did and I agree - Lyon is the best coach (for his time) we’ve had since Jeans .

I remember they signed the docklands deal and hired Blight, but I don't recall much else.
Appointed blight
Got rid of blight
Recruited Thomas
Recruited Gehrig , Hamill etc
Led to numerous finals appearances - including GFs later on
Sacked Thomas
Recruited Lyon

Lead to our most successful period for decades, ensures we were relevant again, feared onfield
Yep it all can crashing down but yeah they did a bit
Now you knew all that so now tell me how you’re confused for some obscure reason...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:26pm Anyone notice this: Grant Thomas tweeted this on last Thursday night (2/8), in response to a question asking how to make the Saints relevent again:

"Complete reboot. From top to bottom. Passive. Predictable. Pedestrian. Nice. Accomodating. Lacking dynamic leadership that can drive cultural change. I’m afraid we are rudderless & in a similar state to early in the millennium".
I never say this often....

He’s right.

“Yeah….nah””
jaxons
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:26pm Anyone notice this: Grant Thomas tweeted this on last Thursday night (2/8), in response to a question asking how to make the Saints relevent again:

A more accurate assessment of where we are at and what we need to do has not been written this year.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:25am

A more accurate assessment of where we are at and what we need to do has not been written this year.
Sadly it would appear we are bereft of outside influential people with the necessary time and connections to fetch change
We really are in trouble and at risk

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:00am

Appointed blight
Got rid of blight
Recruited Thomas
Sacked Thomas
Recruited Lyon

Lead to our most successful period for decades, ensures we were relevant again, feared onfield
Now you knew all that so now tell me how you’re confused for some obscure reason...
Recruited Hamill and Gehrig??

How exactly did they lead the team to the finals?

I remember it was a fun era, and the Saints were up and about but I just didn't recall the actual Board doing anything particularly special, that's all. In fact, looking back, wasn't one of the big criticisms back then that they skimped on football and wouldn't even buy new footies for the team to train with? I vaguely recall the sentiment being that we were good on-field despite the board at the time, not because of it.

My memory isn't that great on these off-field things though, as I don't find it all that relevant personally. So I just wondered if something happened that I'd missed or forgotten about.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The AFL cannot afford three "irrelevant" teams. Carlton have good young players and will probably change coach soon. Suns have the moral high ground a good CEO and feisty president and will get all the support in the world. Suns also have some top line players. But both their climbs will still take a few seasons. AFL will be very annoyed with Saints and while ok with a new list manager and assistants will want more (who doesn't). It may wait until the club is completely on its back rather than knees as it is at present but it will/must intervene sometime in 2019 if Richo continues to weigh the club down. I imagine when Simon L , Hocking and Gillon have quiet old friends drinks Simon gives them the reality of the incompetence and asks wistfully, if only the AFL could do something. It will if Richo is not sacked and/or may find some financing restructure to take sacking = insolvent out of play. But there will be a price. At this stage and with no info from the Board about a magic wand I feel there is no alternative. A new Board and new CEO would seem reasonable points to concede given where they have led us; they are eminently dispensable. In the meantime the booing is likely to get louder. My great fear is that a 17 team competition may suit the AFL and other clubs programming wise.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 8:42am
Teflon wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:00am

Appointed blight
Got rid of blight
Recruited Thomas
Sacked Thomas
Recruited Lyon

Recruited Hamill and Gehrig??

How exactly did they lead the team to the finals?

I remember it was a fun era, and the Saints were up and about but I just didn't recall the actual Board doing anything particularly special, that's all. In fact, looking back, wasn't one of the big criticisms back then that they skimped on football and wouldn't even buy new footies for the team to train with? I vaguely recall the sentiment being that we were good on-field despite the board at the time, not because of it.

My memory isn't that great on these off-field things though, as I don't find it all that relevant personally. So I just wondered if something happened that I'd missed or forgotten about.
Not really your memory is fine but I can’t be assed educating you again
Do a Google - just explore that inquisitive side !!

“Yeah….nah””