Summers being replaced as president

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Summers being replaced as president

Surprised this hasn't been discussed on here and sorry if I missed it, but on the Monday night footy show one of the reporters indicated Basset (SEEK founder I believe) might become the new pres for 2019.

Is this fella any good? Anyone know?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Summers being replaced as president

parkeysainter wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 12:55pm Surprised this hasn't been discussed on here and sorry if I missed it, but on the Monday night footy show one of the reporters indicated Basset (SEEK founder I believe) might become the new pres for 2019.

It was mentioned in another post parkeysainter, yesterday I think. I can’t recall who posted it or what thread it was in. I had to google who Bassett was, I’ve never heard of him, but then I’m no longer looking for employment. Retirement and travels just suit me fine :P

Posters at the time didn’t comment on the post, so not much interest shown then.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 1:26pm
parkeysainter wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 12:55pm Surprised this hasn't been discussed on here and sorry if I missed it, but on the Monday night footy show one of the reporters indicated Basset (SEEK founder I believe) might become the new pres for 2019.

It was mentioned in another post parkeysainter, yesterday I think. I can’t recall who posted it or what thread it was in. I had to google who Bassett was, I’ve never heard of him, but then I’m no longer looking for employment. Retirement and travels just suit me fine :P

Posters at the time didn’t comment on the post, so not much interest shown then.

Snap.I did the same. Never heard of the guy before yesterday.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Found it parkeysainter. Saintbob posted it in the thread ‘This Management, Coach and ????? are killing this Club.’ Or a title to that effect. Teflon was the only one who responded to it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think that Summers has to step down as there is a max term?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergsone
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 1:46pm I think that Summers has to step down as there is a max term?
From memory its end of next season,could be wrong but

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Think it is a 5 year term.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 1:46pm I think that Summers has to step down as there is a max term?
How long is it sR? If this is his final term, that puts paid to rumour then doesn’t it? Possibly Bassett is one on the Board that has said he might run for President.......... so it makes the journos scoop not so earth shattering.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Thanks guys. I will gave to do some research into this fella.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No idea...but someone said that he was worth $300 million.

If you believe in omens, last time we had an IT Business Related President it lead to the Saints becoming a power.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 1:50pm
How long is it sR? If this is his final term, that puts paid to rumour then doesn’t it? Possibly Bassett is one on the Board that has said he might run for President.......... so it makes the journos scoop not so earth shattering.
Not sure. 5/6 years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 1:52pm

No idea...but someone said that he was worth $300 million.

If you believe in omens, last time we had an IT Business Related President it lead to the Saints becoming a power.

From saints.com.

A current board member.

"Andrew Bassat

Andrew is the CEO of SEEK Limited and an Executive Director, having co-founded the company with his brother Paul.

Launched in 1997 and listed in 2005, SEEK is the world’s largest employment marketplace by revenue, profit and market capitalisation.

Since its inception, Andrew has driven strategy for the online employment marketplace and led the creation and development of the international and education businesses.

In 2013, Andrew was named the Australian EY Entrepreneur Of The Year.

Prior to co-founding SEEK, Andrew was a management consultant with Booz Allen & Hamilton and before that he worked as a solicitor at Corrs Chamber Westgarth."

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

s*** Saynta. This guy is obviously a gun. If he co-founded SEEK then he is a big mover and shaker in the business world. The bloke would be filthy rich. Hopefully he slips a few coins the Saints way. I guess he is a Saints supporter too.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

His Dad was Egyptian and his Mum was Polish. Good success story.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I believe he’s a keen Sainter. SEEK were well backed financially at the start and very shrewd. An internet pioneer story that has destroyed The Age classifieds along with realestate.com.au

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 1:51pm Thanks guys. I will gave to do some research into this fella.
Seek and ye shall find.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 2:39pm I believe he’s a keen Sainter. SEEK were well backed financially at the start and very shrewd. An internet pioneer story that has destroyed The Age classifieds along with realestate.com.au

Though he did not invent the idea of online jobs boards, but pounced onto it in Australia at the perfect time.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Andrew is a jet. He founded SEEK with his Brother (Paul - also a lawyer now a venture capitalist and whom now sits on the AFL Commission) and Matt Rockman (Son of former Melbourne Lord Mayor - Irvin). Andrew and Paul were co-CEO's at outset and up until Paul's departure. They had bugger all seed capital and busted their guts as a tiny start-up to make it work. Andrew and his co-founders were/are nothing if not tenacious. They effectively bought the idea of an on-line job board from the US where Monster.com was first to market. They then progressively decimated Fairfax's job advertising revenue over the next 10 years.

Back in the 90's/00's in corporate Australia, there was no bigger commendation for a start-up's management team than to have the Packers come knocking. And a come a knockin' they did. The Packer family made a significant investment into SEEK and still invests in Bassat-family endeavors (James is a seed investor in Paul's venture capital firm).

Peter Summers' term as President expires at the end of 2019 and Andrew - IMO - would make a fine President (I suspect in the Andrew Newbold manner - ex. of Hawthorn). He's young-ish, very astute, very experienced, makes good decisions (both as a safe set of hands and as a risk taker), can build from the ground-up and knows how to scrap. Plus Andrew is incredibly well-connected.

Him and his Brother Paul are both mad Sainters and even before SEEK were regular game-day attendees.

Go you red, black & white warriors
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Seek co-founder...Geezus this is the biggest news of the decade, bar none.

I reckon he got to where he is now, through getting the best advice, getting the right processes in place in his company, etc, thinking of ways to improve and grow...

this is exactly what we need, and it is downright exciting where he could take the club.

He will hopefully make Eddie Fathead Maguire look like an amateur, and be the king of the hill in a few short years.

I hope and pray that he will drag the club into an era of relevance
and make us one to be both admired and feared.
But he is currently a board member, why hasn't he made any impact (or has he?)
maybe if he becomes Emperor, he won't have to contend with others voting against him,
he can drive the agenda

Finnis was full of big ideas like Top 4, etc but didn't have the support or the brains or the nouse to achieve this,
I imagine someone like Fred Bassett can, a man who built himself a massive empire from his back bedroom,
like Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg- a rags to riches story writ large.

Bassett Bassett Bassett we need you to lead your flock to the Promised Land of Milk and Honey.
Finnis and Summers have been the False Prophets, selling us a dream that faded like a morning mist

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Barometer
Club Player

Commercially savvy, well connected, successful, wealthy businessman who is definitely passionate about the saints.

I believe his name has previously come up but the query was on how much time he could dedicate to the role, if he has the time now he has attributes to be a great leader for us

Source - two people very close to me who have worked very closely with him.

saint6709
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 4:26pm Andrew is a jet. He founded SEEK with his Brother (Paul - also a lawyer now a venture capitalist and whom now sits on the AFL Commission) and Matt Rockman (Son of former Melbourne Lord Mayor - Irvin). Andrew and Paul were co-CEO's at outset and up until Paul's departure. They had bugger all seed capital and busted their guts as a tiny start-up to make it work. Andrew and his co-founders were/are nothing if not tenacious. They effectively bought the idea of an on-line job board from the US where Monster.com was first to market. They then progressively decimated Fairfax's job advertising revenue over the next 10 years.

Back in the 90's/00's in corporate Australia, there was no bigger commendation for a start-up's management team than to have the Packers come knocking. And a come a knockin' they did. The Packer family made a significant investment into SEEK and still invests in Bassat-family endeavors (James is a seed investor in Paul's venture capital firm).

Peter Summers' term as President expires at the end of 2019 and Andrew - IMO - would make a fine President (I suspect in the Andrew Newbold manner - ex. of Hawthorn). He's young-ish, very astute, very experienced, makes good decisions (both as a safe set of hands and as a risk taker), can build from the ground-up and knows how to scrap. Plus Andrew is incredibly well-connected.

Him and his Brother Paul are both mad Sainters and even before SEEK were regular game-day attendees.
Can confirm all of the above - saw Paul recently ( recently for me anyway I moved out of Melb 8 years ago so just before then) in the outer with his kids - saints scarves etc etc - I knew him in the school days

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyone worth their salt is headhunted these days via LinkedIn which is making the Seek business model a little obsolete.

Still, Bassett is better than numpty.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
loris
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 6:27pm Anyone worth their salt is headhunted these days via LinkedIn which is making the Seek business model a little obsolete.

Still, Bassett is better than numpty.
Yes Bassett says LinkedIn has become a major threat. I’ve been doing a little reading up on Bassett today. There was an interesting article in a Fin Review, where he said he nearly lost what he had built up. Took his eye off the ball, started to focus on other areas and Lo & behold LinkedIn and another employment hire company had stolen much ground from SEEK, so he had to rejig the business model. I’ll try and find the article again, there have been a number in the FR on Bassett & his brother. it was interesting to read in relation to similarities in managing and developing a football team, and how it can nearly go horribly wrong if right people and focus not there.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Sounds good to me

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Pleasing

“Yeah….nah””