Tim Watson era of coaching

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Tim Watson era of coaching

Hi everyone.

I was thinking a bit about this gloomy time in our history with all the criticism of Richo’s coaching, talk about worst of all time etc.

Now for some context... I was about 14-16 over this period of time so whilst I remember reasonably vividly, obviously my peak understanding of football, recollections etc occurs/ed later (allegedly). And for the life of me, I’m struggling.

What was so bad about Tim Watson as coach..?

From where I sit, Timid TIm made the cardinal sin that coaches don’t recover from and he compounded with his second mistake...
He overrated a downward trending list as a legitimate finals contender and topped up with the nail in his coffin being that his recycled recruits in Fred Campbell, Sean Charles, Damian Monkhorst etc were all extremely terrible.

If you make that mistake, you seldom ever get to recover, unless you do the Brad Scott, realise it right away and immediately take steps to rectify it.

But what else?

Was Timid such a horrible match day coach?
WHat did he do that was so bad?

Was he the guy that tried Hall in the backline?

I really can’t remember

The one thing that stands out for me... and I still have the article at home (kept a scrap book at the time) was that after he resigned, the Herald Sun wrote this list up of our needed turnover. Players that were young with potential and should be kept, players that were unable to perform and needed to be cut (the Saints who sin), and those treading thin ice.
All of those in the middle category were guys that had played at least 60-100 games and were really inconsistent... none of this, he’s played 4 games in three years crap.

Thoughts?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim Watson era of coaching

seemed to going okay. even good. then came that hawks game and we never recovered.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
older saint
SS Life Member

Biggest mistake was had no experience coaching , even Assistant coaching - straight from media.

Lacked experience to handle situations (post Hawthorn game ) and from there it snowballed.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Blight got rid of the Wanklen twins and put Hall down back. It worked for about 2 weeks.

Blight had NFI.

Tim might have been a better coach if he took a long term view and served an apprenticeship but he was very naive.

Plympton stuffed up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I remember the Hawthorn game and subsequent, “boarding house pudding” comment, and, I remember Tim saying he didn’t realize, “being an a-hole” was part of a coache’s remit. That’s about all. I was so shocked at the Stan Alves firing, the disappointment of ‘97 and the Sydney loss in ‘98, when the honeymoon finished after that Hawthorn game, I smelt the heavy rain in the horizon and checked out. Patchy supporter - guilty!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 9:55pm I remember the Hawthorn game and subsequent, “boarding house pudding” comment, and, I remember Tim saying he didn’t realize, “being an a-hole” was part of a coache’s remit. That’s about all. I was so shocked at the Stan Alves firing, the disappointment of ‘97 and the Sydney loss in ‘98, when the honeymoon finished after that Hawthorn game, I smelt the heavy rain in the horizon and checked out. Patchy supporter - guilty!
Smart and who would can really blame you!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I have this strange feeling in that whilst I’ve always considered Tim the worst coach of my time (Blight doesn’t count because he outright didn’t care)... I’m struggling to find the reasons as to why beyond results.

Richo on the other hand... how long do you have!!?? Let me get a pencil

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The Hawks game.

Spida Everitt gave away three successive 50m penalties (and a goal, obviously) and Watson dragged him

As he was coming off the ground, Everitt glared defiantly at the coaching box.

Watson was too timid to nip such impudence in the bud. The cancer metastasized very quickly.

Watson disapproved of Sheedy's tough-love style and wanted to believe that footballers are smart enough to be treated as equals.

They're not.

one point
Club Player

He told me prior to his second season that he believed in attacking football. ‘The team that scores the most wins’,he said in a thoughtful review of his football philosophy. When I suggested that many successful teams develop a core effective defensive unit he dismissed that as being unnecessary if you focus on attack

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 5:36am He told me prior to his second season that he believed in attacking football. ‘The team that scores the most wins’,he said in a thoughtful review of his football philosophy. When I suggested that many successful teams develop a core effective defensive unit he dismissed that as being unnecessary if you focus on attack
Seems like Tim was really up with where the game was going.

:D

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Geez...and we consider Richo a lousy game day coach! Poor ol' Timmy, loved him as a player, and so did our admin...they took their adoration a bit too far.

wally
Club Player

Tim had a game plan/vision unfortunately didn't have the cattle to execute that that style.
I think it relied on foot skills which we lacked, plus lack of experience managing people.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 9:37am Tim had a game plan/vision unfortunately didn't have the cattle to execute that that style.
I think it relied on foot skills which we lacked, plus lack of experience managing people.
So he blamed the players too did he?

He was unprepared and unsuitable for the task of head coach

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 10:54am
wally wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 9:37am Tim had a game plan/vision unfortunately didn't have the cattle to execute that that style.

According to Plymo, Tim "lost his way". He said the same thing about Stan.

spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 11:00am

I think Plymo might have lost his way too..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 11:14am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 11:00am

I think Plymo might have lost his way too..
Everyone loses their way eventually, one way or another, but yes, it appears so.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

That Hawthorn game wasn't the first of those second half fade outs and us not being able to stop the onslaught. There were a couple of games leading up to this where it was too late for the opposition but it was raining goals. One was against Melbourne only a few weeks before, for memory they kicked about 8 goals in the last 15 minutes. We were up by about 90.... But the warnings signs were there. There were other games similarly in the lead up to that Hawthorn game. I'd have to go back and check to refresh the memory.

The thing about Tim is he admitted he was no good and left. This current train wreck, who in my opinion is a top 3 worst coach of any club in my lifetime, really needs to walk if he has any decency

Edit- my memory is shot, Melbourne game was round 2....

Bring back the Lockett era
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Honest, you are right, now I remember we were sliding. One thing I now recall-and I could be wrong- didn’t Watson seem to suddenly want. Nathan Burke to become a stay-at-home backpocket defender instead of pack-borer he was renowned for? - and Burkey was sorely exposed in that role?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 3:10pm Honest, you are right, now I remember we were sliding. One thing I now recall-and I could be wrong- didn’t Watson seem to suddenly want. Nathan Burke to become a stay-at-home backpocket defender instead of pack-borer he was renowned for? - and Burkey was sorely exposed in that role?
now if my memory serves me correctly wasnt N Burkes move to the back pocket roll in conjunction with his helmet due to repeated head whacks in the middle?

Seeya
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

One of Tim's big issues was his complete mistrust in the younger parts of our list. Instead of re-generating Stan's team with the younger guys that Stan's era had recruited - he much preferred to bring in older, experienced hacks (Fred Campbell, Gavin Mitchell, Tony Francis, Sean Charles, Tony Delaney et al).

Sounds somewhat like someone else currently in the seat (Mav, Gilbert, Geary etc)

Go you red, black & white warriors
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 4:03pm One of Tim's big issues was his complete mistrust in the younger parts of our list. Instead of re-generating Stan's team with the younger guys that Stan's era had recruited - he much preferred to bring in older, experienced hacks (Fred Campbell, Gavin Mitchell, Tony Francis, Sean Charles, Tony Delaney et al).

Sounds somewhat like someone else currently in the seat (Mav, Gilbert, Geary etc)
Also sounds like Lyon and Watters.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

From memory, we started well under Timmy. Then, everyone else worked out what he was doing. (Switching play to loose blokes lined up on the other side of the ground.)

Tim had no plan B... :oops:

However, to Tim's credit, plan C was a good one.

I'm hoping Richo' also adopts Tim's plan C at the end of this season.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 3:43pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 3:10pm Honest, you are right, now I remember we were sliding. One thing I now recall-and I could be wrong- didn’t Watson seem to suddenly want. Nathan Burke to become a stay-at-home backpocket defender instead of pack-borer he was renowned for? - and Burkey was sorely exposed in that role?
now if my memory serves me correctly wasnt N Burkes move to the back pocket roll in conjunction with his helmet due to repeated head whacks in the middle?
I think Burkey donned the helmet way before Watson arrived but I just saw that he won the best-and-fairest in '99, so I guess the backpocket thing didn't last