Sinclair and Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Sinclair and Acres

2 completely underwhelming years

I thought at the end of last year that Sinclair was going to have a break out year...... well that didn’t happen in any shape or form. I would look to trade him

Acres seems to have many fans on here. Well what happened today. Pretty much a bruise free rolling game he should have taken it apart instead 15 innocuous disposals. Come on fire up. I would look to trade

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Sinclair and Acres

Sinclair’s year was disappointing

Acres missed the best part of 3 months, prior to that he was good

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Sinclair and Acres

Sincs definitely down the last half of the year. But I’d keep him. Huge upside.

Blacres is a worry. He clearly has huge talent. Not sure why we either choose not to or cannot harness it. I’m pretty sure we’ll end up sending him home only to find someone else has the keys.

Always loyal
saintbob
SS Life Member

SemperFidelis wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 12:52am Sincs definitely down the last half of the year. But I’d keep him. Huge upside.

Blacres is a worry. He clearly has huge talent. Not sure why we either choose not to or cannot harness it. I’m pretty sure we’ll end up sending him home only to find someone else has the keys.
Acres needs to be play as a centreman, not as a 3rd tall in the forward line or as second ruckman.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

With the right coach playing him in the right position, Acres will be a gun.

Hopefully it is with us.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Both have a clear future. They are only going to get better. People write off and question players too early imo.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 12:46am 2 completely underwhelming years

I thought at the end of last year that Sinclair was going to have a break out year...... well that didn’t happen in any shape or form. I would look to trade him

Acres seems to have many fans on here. Well what happened today. Pretty much a bruise free rolling game he should have taken it apart instead 15 innocuous disposals. Come on fire up. I would look to trade
Acres 15 were worth a lot more than some dinky passes and kicks straight up in the air which go to an outnumber. Acres run and carry directly created a few goals tonight. Acres also copped a massive hit which winded him very early in the game.

He spent a little while on the bench and then when he came back on, was straight into the action and contesting the hard ball - not receiving cheapies out the back on a half back flank - Sebby style. Acres runs straight at the footy and when he gets it, doesn't just release early like Sebby or JB. If you want to look at guys who play bruise free, there's your 2 most likely.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Keep them both get rid of the ones who can't hit a target 15 metres away.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:33am Both have a clear future. They are only going to get better. People write off and question players too early imo.
in one instance, he won the ball on a HBF, took 2 bounces, then kicked 30m to a guy in the clear, only problem was, it was a Norf guy.
Sad.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Add both to the huge list of players who show heaps of early potential before
devolving into mediocrity.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Two of many that cannot compete for four quarters, or even one really, but marvellous cameos every five games or so. Acres has the excuse he is rusty but he made a few clangers that were worrying if he really is class. Sinclair going would be no loss, gets caught too often, slow reactions or unaware. Has been beaten comprehensively in too many games. But he will stay and be easy prey I imagine. Unfortunately a team is only as strong as weakest link.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Acres does seem half hearted. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a foot out the door.
Richo's selectuon policy and playing him ridiculously out of position would have him looking elsewhere.

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:26am With the right coach playing him in the right position, Acres will be a gun.

Hopefully it is with us.
Part of me agrees.

Part of me worries that Acres just isn't much good. You know, one of those guys that you always think will be good, but gets to the end of.His ccareer and you finally realise that they just weren't actually good footballers.

Sinclair however, would thrive in the right environment IMO.
He has the goods, and has shown it.

Seems a mental thing with him.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Acres was THE closest thing to A grade we had before he got injured.. absolute goldfish some people on this forum... he’s a gun

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Acres IS NOT a gun.

He’s very unco though.

Sinclair looks like his cruising.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Acres is 192cm big bodied mid who is anything but unco... he hits the scoreboard and is a genuine goal kicking mid... he and Steven are out best mids we have.. by a mile

chico2001
Club Player

mightysainters wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 9:02am Acres is 192cm big bodied mid who is anything but unco... he hits the scoreboard and is a genuine goal kicking mid... he and Steven are out best mids we have.. by a mile
Not sure where he has been hitting the scoreboard, same for Sinclair. Both are in their early 20's and have enough games up to get an idea of how good they are and both are over rated. Would not put them in the same class as J.Steele or Seb Ross who can both get the ball and are consistent and reliable. Sinclair and Acres both have to be kept in the side because they are reasonably capable when they want to be.

saintadamski
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 10:14am
mightysainters wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 9:02am Acres is 192cm big bodied mid who is anything but unco... he hits the scoreboard and is a genuine goal kicking mid... he and Steven are out best mids we have.. by a mile
Not sure where he has been hitting the scoreboard, same for Sinclair. Both are in their early 20's and have enough games up to get an idea of how good they are and both are over rated. Would not put them in the same class as J.Steele or Seb Ross who can both get the ball and are consistent and reliable. Sinclair and Acres both have to be kept in the side because they are reasonably capable when they want to be.
Sinclair has to be kept in the side?? Surely this is joke - but not a very funny one.

It always amazes me how Saints fans get more caught up in being Saints fans, rather than standing back objectively and looking at a player based on how they actually play....not just with the ball, but as importantly WITHOUT the ball.

Sinclair wears a Saints jumper. Now imagine him wearing a Carlton one. Do you still want him playing in our team? Need to step back.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: the criticism that Acres should be played in the guts - maybe Acres doesn't have the reflexes, the quick hands etc... to be our best option at centre clearances?
Anyway, he was averaging over 23 possessions per game last year and developing well despite "being played out of position" - this year was an injury interrupted year
and might have otherwise been his breakout year.

He hangs on to the ball and doesn't just dish it off like a hot potato, and is physical - so he does provide something valuable and different.

We reset next year - hopefully with the addition of an A grade midfielder with elite skills - we have too many C grade midfielders to be a serious contender.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 27 Aug 2018 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.

chico2001
Club Player

haha, yes he has dropped off but unfortunately they dont have much better at the minute. If they recruit a few decent players then those mentioned will spend a bit of time in the two's especially Sinclair. A bottom four side with bottom 4 players, both would get a game with Carlton and Gold coast. I think they have 1 more year to play a lot better, there has to be improvement of at least 100% win/loss ratio in 2019 and these types of players have to drive it. Otherwise it is going to be a tough year again.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Acres was one of our top 3 players before he got injured... his reflexes are very good, maybe he can be slow to dispose but that is experience.. not a reflex. Goddard was very similar until he got games in. Unfortunately when he was hitting his straps he got injured. Acres is quality.. his last couple of games have been ordinary but he’s been out for a long time and lacks match fitness

portosaint
Club Player

Very hard to get a gauge on someone who has played 90% of their games out of position. Blake's development has been stifled and its not his fault IMO.

He is a true centreman... A big one at that. He is actually our point of difference. He's not this utility that AR is trying to make him out to be. Put him in the guts, leave him there to develop, and watch his game grow. The kid doesn't know if he is Arthur or Martha!

He plays in a different position every 5 bloody minutes. Do any of you understand how hard that would be in a team such as the Saints. Players who have one position to worry about struggle with our "structure and systems", let alone having to try and fit into multiple roles.

Part of me wants to see him go elsewhere.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:57am Very hard to get a gauge on someone who has played 90% of their games out of position. Blake's development has been stifled and its not his fault IMO.

He is a true centreman... A big one at that. He is actually our point of difference. He's not this utility that AR is trying to make him out to be. Put him in the guts, leave him there to develop, and watch his game grow. The kid doesn't know if he is Arthur or Martha!

He plays in a different position every 5 bloody minutes. Do any of you understand how hard that would be in a team such as the Saints. Players who have one position to worry about struggle with our "structure and systems", let alone having to try and fit into multiple roles.

His decision making is appalling. His instinct is non-existent.

Therefore, I don't think he'll be a genuinely good on-baller.

His best chance is as a Tom Lynch (Adelaide version) type forward.
But he can't kick, which is a problem.

portosaint
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 12:00pm
portosaint wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:57am Very hard to get a gauge on someone who has played 90% of their games out of position. Blake's development has been stifled and its not his fault IMO.

His decision making is appalling. His instinct is non-existent.

Therefore, I don't think he'll be a genuinely good on-baller.

His best chance is as a Tom Lynch (Adelaide version) type forward.
But he can't kick, which is a problem.
He is not a Tom Lynch type. This is the problem. He is not a half forward and never will be. By the way, how did we go with him?? A perfect example of this clubs shitty development.

Decision making?? Let's not single him out. Have you watched the Saints this year?? I'll give more leeway to a poor decision if the player in question is trying to actually DO something. Some of our best passages of football over the last couple of weeks have involved Acres taking the game on. A solid stint on the ball would do him wonders. But obviously with our star studded midfield we have no room to develop guys in there :roll:

Oh, and instinct? Do you know what instinct is?? Its not a slow, calculated chip around the backline. He plays on instinct. Hence the brain farts. Harness it.
Last edited by portosaint on Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

chico2001
Club Player

There is a massive difference in what the coaches think and the supporters think on Acres. Why is this? If he was as good as people make out then he would be playing in the centre then every game..no questions asked. The excuses seem to include injuries, played in the wrong position etc. If you are worth your salt you get the ball dont you? regardless of position. Keep hearing big bodied etc well use that big body to smash some small forwards out of the way or small backmen for that matter.