Tom Mitchell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barneyboyz
Club Player

Tom Mitchell

Was listening to Tom this morning on SEN, and it got me thinking about our development, as compared with the so called best.

Tom went to the Hawks mainly due to a lack of opportunity and maturity, both of which, the move south have benefited him greatly. Now, look at the similar scenario with Tim Membrey

There's been much discussion here about our development, and really, who knows the exact extent of the truth? but for me I reckon stability has been the issue at the Saints in the last two years, and especially through the forward line.

FWIW, my view is that improvement will come from drafting the best young talent available every year. Stop chasing Northern champions, and build our own. Remember too that over the last 20 years, our club has been very good at keeping good players, and generally that's because they played for the jumper. They weren't brought here for the money.

This hasn't been the Hawks strategy, and shouldn't be ours

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Mitchell

As Jason Dunstall said a few years back- I think when asked about the Saints.. recruit the best possible talent available that's what the Hawks try to do, don't just recruit for positions. The Saints for too long have concentrated more on keeping their bigger names happy, but let the rest take care of itself, when we should have been really building a better bottom 6. We made a blue when recruiting Paddy for example- although number one in the draft, the club just went for the replace one big forward with another option(with the eventual retirement of Roo coming up).

The club needs to be really smart in the next rounds of recruiting.,,smarter than they have been in recent history.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

There a few current players out there on the edge or cusp like Membrey and Roberton. They sometimes need a new environment to flourish. The club is looking at them.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 11:34am There a few current players out there on the edge or cusp like Membrey and Roberton. They sometimes need a new environment to flourish. The club is looking at them.
More mystical tidbits implying ITK knowledge without any indication of who the players might be or a source for the info. New username, same posting style......

Next will be that I’m a stalker for calling it out.
Last edited by st.byron on Tue 25 Sep 2018 12:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

barneyboyz
Club Player

spert wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 11:10am As Jason Dunstall said a few years back- I think when asked about the Saints.. recruit the best possible talent available that's what the Hawks try to do, don't just recruit for positions. The Saints for too long have concentrated more on keeping their bigger names happy, but let the rest take care of itself, when we should have been really building a better bottom 6. We made a blue when recruiting Paddy for example- although number one in the draft, the club just went for the replace one big forward with another option(with the eventual retirement of Roo coming up).

The club needs to be really smart in the next rounds of recruiting.,,smarter than they have been in recent history.
Especially when we had no idea of how blokes like Marshall and Pierce were going to develop. One thing I think we need to do better, is admit when we got it wrong and rectify it. We replaced Roo with Paddy, but he was never going to be the same player. We have to keep turning the ground over, we'll get some gems and some misses, but it has to be the way

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

There is no doubt his career at hawthorn has rocketed him to a genuine AA/brownlow medalist in a rapid progression
And while listening to him speak last night I was immediately reminded how similar he sounded to R Harvey - both extremely focused driven and dedicated. Most footballers are but as he said (as dedicated as we all think they are) it took him changing his diet for the better to elevate him to brownlow elite status. The real conclusion there is that all the guidance given via the club accounted for little and it was outside influence and the desire to be better that brought on the change(and maybe a big dollop of male laziness)

AS outsiders looking in we make assumptions - and most probably miss the mark
But in regard to hawthorn and their professionalism (and success) there were many many many here writing that they paid overs for Mitchell and were absolutely crazy to trade as they did for JOM
All clubs make "informed" ( professional) decisions...and in the last 30 years our club has gone both paths of bringing in expensive imports and developing star kids
The better clubs just make fewer mistakes

Seeya
barneyboyz
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 11:41am There is no doubt his career at hawthorn has rocketed him to a genuine AA/brownlow medalist in a rapid progression
And while listening to him speak last night I was immediately reminded how similar he sounded to R Harvey - both extremely focused driven and dedicated. Most footballers are but as he said (as dedicated as we all think they are) it took him changing his diet for the better to elevate him to brownlow elite status. The real conclusion there is that all the guidance given via the club accounted for little and it was outside influence and the desire to be better that brought on the change(and maybe a big dollop of male laziness)

AS outsiders looking in we make assumptions - and most probably miss the mark
But in regard to hawthorn and their professionalism (and success) there were many many many here writing that they paid overs for Mitchell and were absolutely crazy to trade as they did for JOM
All clubs make "informed" ( professional) decisions...and in the last 30 years our club has gone both paths of bringing in expensive imports and developing star kids
The better clubs just make fewer mistakes
JOM was gettable for us, but I think we were spooked by already having Freezer, being that two 'busts' was going to be diabolical. I would have kept Freezer next year btw.

Watching some of Tom's many highlights I can only hope that Seb can learn to take more time and straighten up with his kicking (also lower his eyes). If he can do this, then he could be a beast. Time will tell, and he's already at the club!

barneyboyz
Club Player

Quite often that development takes place by simply changing a players role. Take James Harmes for instance. James built his game on pure desire for the footy from a very early age, he was always with a footy. he's had several roles at the Dees, and even whilst playing in the same position i.e. midfield and now tagger. Early this year he was probably floundering a little, and could have been tempted to move (other than being a Dees supporter too). All of a sudden he's one of the best run with players in the comp (Jack Steele anyone???)

At a guess, there's 6 - 7 players on our list that either aren't playing in their best position, or the penny hasn't quite dropped yet. Kevin Sheedy was either criticised or praised on this theory for many years, but he always knew who could play where, and importantly, when!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

barneyboyz wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 12:04pm Quite often that development takes place by simply changing a players role. Take James Harmes for instance. James built his game on pure desire for the footy from a very early age, he was always with a footy. he's had several roles at the Dees, and even whilst playing in the same position i.e. midfield and now tagger. Early this year he was probably floundering a little, and could have been tempted to move (other than being a Dees supporter too). All of a sudden he's one of the best run with players in the comp (Jack Steele anyone???)

At a guess, there's 6 - 7 players on our list that either aren't playing in their best position, or the penny hasn't quite dropped yet. Kevin Sheedy was either criticised or praised on this theory for many years, but he always knew who could play where, and importantly, when!
Perfect analogy re: Jack Steele. The next most obvious one is Blake Acres. It seems only our complete Dribbler of a coach thinks that his best position is roaming mid/2nd ruck.

Go you red, black & white warriors
barneyboyz
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 12:27pm
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 12:04pm Quite often that development takes place by simply changing a players role. Take James Harmes for instance. James built his game on pure desire for the footy from a very early age, he was always with a footy. he's had several roles at the Dees, and even whilst playing in the same position i.e. midfield and now tagger. Early this year he was probably floundering a little, and could have been tempted to move (other than being a Dees supporter too). All of a sudden he's one of the best run with players in the comp (Jack Steele anyone???)

Perfect analogy re: Jack Steele. The next most obvious one is Blake Acres. It seems only our complete Dribbler of a coach thinks that his best position is roaming mid/2nd ruck.
I fully expect that the 'dribbler' won't have it all his own way next year.

Question for Blake though is, are you not playing in the right position? or has the penny not yet dropped mate?

I guess also that Geelong must be asking the same questions about Danger atm i.e. is he a forward? is he a mid? I reckon West Coast, although they may not win the cup may just have the best balance here

Club Player

from Barneboyz: Watching some of Tom's many highlights I can only hope that Seb can learn to take more time and straighten up with his kicking (also lower his eyes). If he can do this, then he could be a beast. Time will tell, and he's already at the club!
[/quote]

here's hoping. Seb should be working like crazy on his disposal, one amongst many.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Can Sebby juggle?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 4:38pm Can Sebby juggle?
:D :) :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

If I was running the show, I would have Seb under the guidance of a running coach over summer- work on that sprinting!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 10:56am
Tom went to the Hawks mainly due to a lack of opportunity and maturity, both of which, the move south have benefited him greatly. Now, look at the similar scenario with Tim Membrey
Salary cap was the reason (swans couldn't pay him what he wanted ) and was a regular at the swans in 2015 and 2016 (12 Brownlow votes each season) and they got pick 14 for him far froma fringe player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-12/h ... r-mitchell

David-Lee
Club Player

I wonder what would've happened if we gave Sydney our first round pick for Mitchell in 2016? Nope, wait, we got our brownlow medalists in 2016. My bad. We only had pick 23 but Hawks first rounder as well from 2017.
Oh well, hindsight, in 5-10 years our blokes will develop into something.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 11:10am As Jason Dunstall said a few years back- I think when asked about the Saints.. recruit the best possible talent available that's what the Hawks try to do, don't just recruit for positions. The Saints for too long have concentrated more on keeping their bigger names happy, but let the rest take care of itself, when we should have been really building a better bottom 6. We made a blue when recruiting Paddy for example- although number one in the draft, the club just went for the replace one big forward with another option(with the eventual retirement of Roo coming up).

So you are saying the problem with drafting Paddy was we recruited him to replace Roo down the line which we shouldn't have even though he rated top two in the draft by nearly all teams because we should have drafted the best talent ........... which was Paddy? :shock:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
barneyboyz
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 7:12pm
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 10:56am
Salary cap was the reason (swans couldn't pay him what he wanted ) and was a regular at the swans in 2015 and 2016 (12 Brownlow votes each season) and they got pick 14 for him far froma fringe player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-12/h ... r-mitchell
I hear you with that, was just from his conversation with SEN.

Interestingly, I reckon Sydney would most definitely have found the cash, if they'd identified his potential brownlow capabilities. So, of all the hype about their development capabilities, they still miss occasionally.

I just think that our benchmark is a little lower than the best, being that we see GOP as being (potential) AA, sometimes.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 6:27pm If I was running the show, I would have Seb under the guidance of a running coach over summer- work on that sprinting!
I think I once heard Sam Mitchell say though - you work on improving the things you already do well. That's how you become a beast!

barneyboyz
Club Player

freely wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 9:47am
spert wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 6:27pm If I was running the show, I would have Seb under the guidance of a running coach over summer- work on that sprinting!
I think I once heard Sam Mitchell say though - you work on improving the things you already do well. That's how you become a beast!
I reckon you are right there. Seb has clearly worked on his strengths, and I believe that if he can now work hard on his delivery, then a potential brownlow medallist he could be