Mav Weller to sign with Richmond

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

diddley
Club Player

Mav Weller to sign with Richmond

AFL.com.au reporting that with the changes to free agency, Mav Weller is to sign with Richmond.
I personally don’t think he was a right fit at St. Kilda, but I wish him all the best. Nice enough bloke though.
Good luck to him.

diddley
Club Player

Re: Mav Weller to sign with Richmond

THREE previously listed AFL footballers have withdrawn their draft nominations and are set to take advantage of new rookie rules to reignite their careers.

Maverick Weller, Corey Wagner and Keegan Brooksby were going to test their luck in the draft, but the AFL's announcement last Thursday about the pre-season supplemental selection period (SPP) changed their situation.

Weller is set to sign with Richmond after touring the club's facilities in recent days.

Players who were previously listed and then cut or who have spent a year out of the game since retirement or delisting themselves no longer have to enter the draft to find their way to a new AFL club.

A club cannot re-sign a player in the SPP in the same year it delisted him unless he is overlooked in the drafts.

More to come

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeez well done Mav

saint6709
Club Player

He did his greatest ever piece of play vs Richmond - looked like a superstar for 30 seconds - I can see why they like him

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 10:27am AFL.com.au reporting that with the changes to free agency, Mav Weller is to sign with Richmond.
I personally don’t think he was a right fit at St. Kilda, but I wish him all the best. Nice enough bloke though.
Good luck to him.
What's with the patronising crap..."nice enough bloke"? Saints are a nice enough team, it's just that we are not the right fit for a guy who can have an impact in a final and we won't be playing any finals in a hurry.

I've always believed that Mav would have been better utilised if he played fresh and was rested every 3-4 weeks. I reckon he'd be like a Clark Ketaing style of player who whould play really well in a handful of games per season, but maybe struggle to be consistent for the whole year. The Brisbane Lions would cotton wool big Clark and he'd have a huge impact with his physical presence during finals.

Mav Weller doesn't take a backward step and he has always been a good kick. Richo just didn't know how to manage him. The reason he isn't the right 'fit' at St Kilda is because we need to do a full rebuild and he'll probably lose his pace and agility in another 5 years time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Keating

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Lol.

Now its Richo's fault Mav couldn't be any good and consistent at St Kilda...even after so many posters couldn't wait to see him delisted because they vehemently stated day after day he was no good as a footballer. Fairdinkum....

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

The man is absolutely blessed if a third club is willing to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars to play football. The only bigger fraud getting around in the game is the cho' himself.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:20am Lol.

Now its Richo's fault Mav couldn't be any good and consistent at St Kilda...even after so many posters couldn't wait to see him delisted because they vehemently stated day after day he was no good as a footballer. Fairdinkum....
So if Mav becomes a top 22 player at Richmond, like he was with us in 2016, would your position change?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

What position?
I don't have one. Good luck to Mav whatever happens.
I just find the hypocrisy and double standards hilarious.

Any reason and excuse to blame "The Cho" hey?
The word is offensive and disgusting in itself and should be banned.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:20am Lol.

Fardinkum...As if we should blame...or credit the head coach for anything.

The review by the Saints and Lethlean did not find that Richo was responsible for the team's poor performance or for the poor form of any individuals or poor development of any of our young players.
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:37am What position?
I don't have one.
Good luck to Mav whatever happens.
I just find the hypocrisy and double standards hilarious.
Checks out, hard to be hypocritical if you have no actual opinions and offer nothing of substance at all.

diddley
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:02am
diddley wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 10:27am AFL.com.au reporting that with the changes to free agency, Mav Weller is to sign with Richmond.
Good luck to him.
What's with the patronising crap..."nice enough bloke"? Saints are a nice enough team, it's just that we are not the right fit for a guy who can have an impact in a final and we won't be playing any finals in a hurry.

I've always believed that Mav would have been better utilised if he played fresh and was rested every 3-4 weeks. I reckon he'd be like a Clark Ketaing style of player who whould play really well in a handful of games per season, but maybe struggle to be consistent for the whole year. The Brisbane Lions would cotton wool big Clark and he'd have a huge impact with his physical presence during finals.

Mav Weller doesn't take a backward step and he has always been a good kick. Richo just didn't know how to manage him. The reason he isn't the right 'fit' at St Kilda is because we need to do a full rebuild and he'll probably lose his pace and agility in another 5 years time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Keating
Wow. Good way to take a nice comment about a guy, and turn it into something terrible. Don’t turn it into something that it isn’t. No lines to read between here.
Simple comments of
A - he is a nice bloke.
B - wish him the best in his future with a new club
C - he obviously wasn’t a right fit for the club, otherwise he would have had more of an impact. What you have asked here is to change the whole team and the team plan to fit around 1 player. No 1 player is greater than the team. If he is lucky enough to fit in with Richmond, then good on him, and I wish him the best.
Pull your head out for long enough to see that not everything on SS is a shot at someone.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Good post Diddley. Any reason or excuse to pot someone at the Saints for some on here. Keyboard heroes.

Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Diddley;

I agree with you, about the fact that he wasn't the right fit but I still think your reference about his character was patronising. As a fan I am interested in our players footy abilities and not whether they have good manners and clean their rooms. It was unintentional but also unnecessary and that was my perception.

This is not a forum for discussing players personalities and family and their hobbies and whether they are nice blokes

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:37am
Any reason and excuse to blame "The Cho" hey?
???

I assumed Cho is "Ri -Cho"

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:37am Any reason and excuse to blame "The Cho" hey?
:lol:

Says the far quit getting around calling people a drag queen.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

You all know exactly what "The Cho" means and it has nothing to do with his name.

Its funny how the little gang on here all miraculously turns up at the same time and likes and congratulates each others posts. Are you guys playing World of Warcraft at the library together or something? 🙄

Total = 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 12:04pm You all know exactly what "The Cho" means and it has nothing to do with his name.

Its funny how the little gang on here all miraculously turns up at the same time and likes and congratulates each others posts. Are you guys playing World of Warcraft at the library together or something? 🙄
Can't see any posts liked above… is that persecution complex kicking in again mate?

Why don't you extrapolate what is so disgusting about 'the cho'? apart from his coaching record.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Read through the forum. A blind bat can see it.

And try a google search to see what the Cho means. Don't play dumb but you are a probably a Level 10 Elf Wizard on World Of Warcraft I guess. 🙄

Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Distractions and deflections for a nice guy who is clearly...not the right fit. I wish him all the best but FFS, he is the head coach and he has been here for more than 5 years. How long does it take to figure out that he isn't the right fit?

There is nothing...repeat nothing more disgusting than having the head coach of a professional AFL footy team running at 33% win loss and your footy club does not have the balls to admit that they stuffed up by extending his time in the top job

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:51am Diddley;

I agree with you, about the fact that he wasn't the right fit but I still think your reference about his character was patronising. As a fan I am interested in our players footy abilities and not whether they have good manners and clean their rooms. It was unintentional but also unnecessary and that was my perception.

This is not a forum for discussing players personalities and family and their hobbies and whether they are nice blokes
I don't see why not. Paddy's a nice bloke, as is Newnsey. Mav's a bit unusual but really a good bloke. Hick when he was here was good fun.

All the best to Mav, a few on here will have to find another whipping boy.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You must also be a fan of Caro and also the gossip pages in the Hun

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 12:31pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:51am Diddley;

I don't see why not. Paddy's a nice bloke, as is Newnsey. Mav's a bit unusual but really a good bloke. Hick when he was here was good fun.

All the best to Mav, a few on here will have to find another whipping boy.
Don't worry Takeaway.

The fingers will be primed, oiled and at the ready for those keyboards in regards to Hannerbrey, Kent, Max King or Richo come the first game! 😊🙌🙄

Total = 1.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mav's parting words about his role at the club seem to indicate even he believed he wasn't a good fit. Good luck to him at the Tiges.

I have a mate who's last name is Richardson...he's been The Cho for decades, and doesn't seem too stressed.

realdeal
Club Player

Gee wiz...

Correct, Mav doesnt take a backwards step. He also doesn't stick tackles, doesnt create run, and can't kick set shots or any shot on goal.

He was really promising in what.. 2016? With some strong marking and goal kicking but he's been found wanting unfortunately.

The only blame we can take is that he shouldnt have been selected in the Seniors as often and be made to earn recalls.

Now watch him kick 4 against us next season.. 🙄🤪🤬