Mr 75%

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Mr 75%

Could be heading for coach of the year.

Considering the considerable injuries Alan's team selections have been spot on this season.

Alan's game day tactics have been inspired. Putting Blake into the ruck really got him going and the team lifted around him. Note to all the haters, if you don't have two quality ruckman dont select VFL standard tall guys just cause that's how they did it in the 80s.

Alan has to be highly commended for his ability to develop players. The improvement in nearly every player this season is amazing.

And finally Alan is doing an amazing job inspiring the players to lift when it's neeeded. The team seem to have developed a collective competitive beast and never say die attitude, and how bloody fit are they, they like to get physical, Hawks were bashed up yesterday.

So many peoeple working hard at the club but none more than Alan, he has really improved this season. We are lucky to have such a hard working professional as our coach.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mr 75%

I love the sentiment Cairnsman and kudos to you, you've stuck by him. I truly hope all that you wrote rings true by year's end & continues through 2020.
However, much like those who believe in climate change and wait for a drought to say how right they are, I will wait for the rain to come and then assess.
Nothing like a small sample to prove a point but am loving the sample all the same. Fingers crossed this is the new norm and not an aberration.
Fingers crossed also that our kids continue to develop and play. Loving the new Jack Billings. Loved Paton's game. Hunter Clark is special, a true team player and hard nut. Marshall exceptional. Battle continues to apply himself & Acres is a quality AFL player. Lonie continues his upward trend.
We are on the right track, time to stop writing off our kids and get behind them, given time and support they will develop and play to a team structure. Richo and his assistants are beginning to instill that belief.
Well done Cairnsman.

Crossy66
Club Player

Great post. We did enough to beat freo, but couldnt kick straight. Really could have been 4 zip and on top of the ladder and richo would be mr 100%
Despite a challenging preseason and with injury to 5 or 6 of our best 22 including our 2 best, we are on equal points with the top side.
But its not the wins and losses that i like, its the way they are going about it and the lift in every player. Cant ask more from a coach.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:08am Note to all the haters, if you don't have two quality ruckman dont select VFL standard tall guys just cause that's how they did it in the 80s.
The reason why they selected VFL standard tall guys in the 80s was because at that time the highest standard of competition was the VFL.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

...the arrival of Brett Ratten and the exit of Adam Kingsley may have something to do with these improvements.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:08am Could be heading for coach of the year.

I think it has a lot more to do with the new Assistants.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Crossy66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:06am

Based on?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:17am

Based on?
All Richo's years at the club vs the games we have had since Ratten arrived.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Alan is getting big wraps in the media from the experts. They reckon he and his assistants are coaching the Saints very well and just getting them to play to their abilities. Nothing special. Just getting the job done based around team effort, pressure and hunger.

We have seen massive improvement in young players like Billings, Gresham, Marshall, Lonie. Older guys like Newnes, Brown and Savage have stepped up. Mature recruits like Wilkie and Parker have blended in beautifully.

The players are playing for each other but are obviously onboard with the coaching staff which includes Alan. The side seems to be mentally tough. My Hawks mate reckons we are tough and beat up the Hawks players in many contests.

It is a long season but Alan has done a good job so far. I'd much prefer your post over the poster who wanted us to lose yesterday so Alan "might" get sacked quicker. What a s*** supporter.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Fair call, I’m not a fan of Richo but have not been calling for his head either as I prefer stability. I still would have been more than happy for him to have finished up at the end of last season.

It is only four games so let’s not get too carried away, but you must hand it to the club to date. Stuck with the coach and brought in support which many including myself were very skeptical and in the short term have turned it around.

The players are playing with passion and belief, and that must come from the coaching group.

They have shown great resilience and losing Robbo, Carslile & Steven in particular and this is a test of character.

Pretty harsh IMO for people not to acknowledge the coach when the club is performing but lambast him when not.

Given the questionable lack of high end talent at the club I’d suggest we have over performed YTD. I’m not sure it is sustainable through the season but you cannot argue they look fit and are running out games, unlike last year.

I wonder if the club is now in hindsight regretting the long term deals to Hannebery & Kent who have had little or no on field impact with the improvement coming from within, but perhaps some off the ground but these contracts may hurt in two to three years time.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Some good points raised but not of all that post is verifiable.
* Yes we are three one but we could of easily been 1-3. Fell arse backwards over the line against suns and just got there yesterday.
* Players have another pre season in them so should be fitter which most are considering it's a young team.
* Recruitment. Take a bow gents. You have copped crap for poor calls IE dan hanneberry really what were you thinking but how good are Parker and Wilkie going. Not saying they are best on ground but gees they make a difference. Parker adds so much pressure to the defenders due to his tackling and actually sticking them and Wilkie is a gem
* Assistants. You don't think Ratten is calling the shots in certain areas now and training the guys Clarkson style. Oh and our general tackling and running thru traffic, billy slatter
* Game plan. Are we still long bombing into fifty. Sure are. Are we taking leads to give kickers options. Not really.
Are we playing on without checking. No we aren't. One out of three is a Start but still needs more work.

Bottom line for me is we are not playing good footy but we are doing enough to win each week with moments of brilliance mixed in to show some real potential. Melbourne will be another odd game as they are off the boil at present so let's see what happens this weekend
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:04am, edited 1 time in total.

The Craw
Club Player

Leo.J wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:05am ...the arrival of Brett Ratten and the exit of Adam Kingsley may have something to do with these improvements.
Yep.

Not Craw, CRAW!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is he even the head coach?

Who would even know on here?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
twirlyhair
Club Player

According to Roo

"They have completely overhauled their game plan in the off-season. They were number one last year in play-on from a mark and they’re number 18 this year.

“They were number 18 last year in the corridor, long kicks down the line, this year they’re number one.

“What they’ve done is they’ve simplified their game plan, they’ve identified that they don’t have great kicks coming out of the back half, particularly without Dylan Roberton and Jake Carlisle

"They have just simplified it. We’re not going to take huge risks coming out of the backline because if we do and we turn it over, which we did a lot last year, we’re going to get exposed."

“They’re defensively playing really strong footy and they’re a good contest team so they’re playing to their strengths and getting results.”

Rather believe the thoughts of our champ than the chumps on SS
Last edited by twirlyhair on Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:37am They have completely overhauled their game plan in the off-season. They were number one last year in play-on from a mark and they’re number 18 this year.

“They were number 18 last year in the corridor, long kicks down the line, this year they’re number one.

“What they’ve done is they’ve simplified their game plan, they’ve identified that they don’t have great kicks coming out of the back half, particularly without Dylan Roberton and Jake Carlisle

They have just simplified it. We’re not going to take huge risks coming out of the backline because if we do and we turn it over, which we did a lot last year, we’re going to get exposed.

“They’re defensively playing really strong footy and they’re a good contest team so they’re playing to their strengths and getting results.”

Rather believe the thoughts of our champ than the chumps on SS
Yep, these stats were highlighted pre-game on Fox Footy.

The more conservative approach to exiting defence has left the group far less exposed to turn overs and one on one contests.

Who is the champ you refer to? Is it Rooey on Fox Footy?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Crossy66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:25am

Based on?
So basically a wild guess then.
Maybe Richo was hampered by the outgoing assistants, maybe the playing group are maturing, i.e. more experience, more games, better game plan. Maybe JB and Gresh have build tanks to run through the midfield. Maybe it was Richos idea to simplify the game plan. Maybe recruiting Wilkie, Parker, maybe (marginally)more accurate goal kicking, maybe the increase in fitness.
I mean why not give all the credit to Billy Slater? After all, they have a 75% winning ratio just because they hired him a day a week.
The coaches main role is to build a cohesive unit, to draw on the resources around him and thats what it looks like to me, so credit where it is due - he is leading well.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Considering the considerable injuries Alan's team selections have been spot on this season.

Alan's game day tactics have been inspired. Putting Blake into the ruck really got him going and the team lifted around him. Note to all the haters, if you don't have two quality ruckman dont select VFL standard tall guys just cause that's how they did it in the 80s.

Alan has to be highly commended for his ability to develop players. The improvement in nearly every player this season is amazing.

And finally Alan is doing an amazing job inspiring the players to lift when it's neeeded. The team seem to have developed a collective competitive beast and never say die attitude, and how bloody fit are they, they like to get physical, Hawks were bashed up yesterday.

So many peoeple working hard at the club but none more than Alan, he has really improved this season. We are lucky to have such a hard working professional as our coach.
The 2019 Saints are indeed a much improved team and winning the close ones is something that they have not been able to accomplish for many years, especially against experienced teams like Hawthorn.

Whilst some will claim that the 3 wins this year have been by slim margins, it should be noted that in all 4 games, including the close loss to Fremantle in Perth last week, the Saints were able to claw back after 4-5 goal deficits during these games to stay in contention - again a characteristic that was lacking in previous years.

Alan Richardson undoubtedly deserves full credit for this transformation, he is a collegiate coach who relies on his assistants to perform as a team to achieve success, and so the addition of Brett Ratten and Brendon Lade has helped him to deliver this improvement against all the negative predictions from both supporters and media pundits.

It is quite evident that the players have a new resolve this year and winning the close ones will do a hell of a lot to bolster their belief both as individuals and in each other.

Sure, 3 from 4 is not yet indicative of their prospects in 2019, but for me it is their overall improvement that matters most, the fact that they are playing with much greater determination and intensity, and have been able to get in front in the last quarter and withstand the challenges - that's what I find really really exciting!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I just hope there isn't a trigger vkause that gets him an extension. Basically being carried by Rattens input.
33% over 5 years doesn't just happen by accident.

Nee!
the dome
Club Player

Saintly Joy from the stands made my day

Yesterday was a one of those confidence boosters that encourages us all that this Saintly outfit is heading in the right direction. Tenacious springs to mind. Those last few minutes against the hawks showed what these guys can deliver when they generate such determination & bring their 'one for all & all for one' state of mind into play.
Wonderful to see the fans experiencing the joy. :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:03am

Based on?
Maybe Richo was hampered by the outgoing assistants, maybe the playing group are maturing, i.e. more experience, more games, better game plan. Maybe JB and Gresh have build tanks to run through the midfield. Maybe it was Richos idea to simplify the game plan. Maybe recruiting Wilkie, Parker, maybe (marginally)more accurate goal kicking, maybe the increase in fitness.
I mean why not give all the credit to Billy Slater? After all, they have a 75% winning ratio just because they hired him a day a week.
The coaches main role is to build a cohesive unit, to draw on the resources around him and thats what it looks like to me, so credit where it is due - he is leading well.

Well what you say COULD be true. However I very much doubt that it was Richo that brought in Ratten and Slater.... and lets not forget Gubby Allan. I put that down to Lethlean.

However, I very much doubt very much that Richo built what you say.

IMO and I could be wrong, Richo built a poor team of assistants and this has been rectified not by him, but by others.

Yes, maybe now he is working well in his role that his support has been rebuilt for him, but IMO it was rebuilt for him and not by him.

Crossy66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:43am

Based on?

Well what you say COULD be true. However I very much doubt that it was Richo that brought in Ratten and Slater. I put that down to Lethlean.

I doubt very much that Richo built what you say.

IMO and I could be wrong, Richo built a poor team of assistants and this has been rectified not by him, but by others.
As you say, you could be wrong. What is true is that you dont know and taking a guess only because it supports the narrative that you dont rate the coach.
I think any fair minded person would say that Richo is a far better coach now than when he started, much the same as I would say Buckley is a far better coach than when he started.
Whether Richo iis the best option in the future I dont know, but right now he IS our coach and everyone should be pleased he has started the year well.
Worth remembering that he was 54.5% and 50% in 2016 / 2017 and sits at 75% for 2019. That also doesnt happen by accident.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Loving the fact that we are still full of running at the end of games.

In a season where so far nearly every game is 50/50 - in the whole comp - that fitness will be telling

Great to see the boys so keen and getting around each other it’s infectious to us fans

Shaggy
Club Player

Well what you say COULD be true. However I very much doubt that it was Richo that brought in Ratten and Slater. I put that down to Lethlean.

I read somewhere that Richo and Ratten are good mates. Their kids are friends and I think they played basketball together. Then Ratts brought Richo across to Carlton to assist him.

I have assumed the only reason we have Ratts is because of his strong relationship with Richo.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Strength Through Loyalty

Note to the marketing department: You can't get a more powerful motto.

Simon Lethlean should be applauded for making loyalty important at our club again.

The irony isn't lost on me but it's what he's done by sticking by Alan.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:03pm

I read somewhere that Richo and Ratten are good mates. Their kids are friends and I think they played basketball together. Then Ratts brought Richo across to Carlton to assist him.

I have assumed the only reason we have Ratts is because of his strong relationship with Richo.
Ratts gives the club the tactical nous that was missing last year. We must remember that the role of a head coach is to coordinate the workings of a very large number of people around the club as well as the players. He doesn't have to be the greatest tactician as long as he has the support of good thinkers in the box. That's what assistant coaches are there for. The set up at the club is so much better and is reflected on the field. Just like the team, you need a team effort in the coaches box. This is not U/13s.