Need For Speed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Need For Speed

Couldn’t be happier with how we have started and the effort alone has been just fantastic to watch compared to last couple of years.

Dees have a lot of genuine ball winners who are contested mids. Goodwin assumed with 6-6-6 this game plan was going to be advantagous... boy was he wrong.

Demands lead the league in contested possessions and have looked abysmal most of the time this year. Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, Viney and Jones all are much of the same bar Harmes with some pace. They win ball inside them usually bomb it long to an extremely out of form McDonald.

Most of their side are extremely one paced eg Petracca, key forwards, mids..

Now, key to beating demons is two things:
- Expose the outside game
- Spread
- Run and gun from half back with their extremely deep entries

We already have shown this year, when we click this is our strength and we now have some speed, but let’s inject more:

Hind - 40 posies and is extremely quick, bring him in
Steven - stints in mid and forward

Speed freaks key to the game: Parker, Long, hind, Steven, Lonie, Savage, Webster

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Need For Speed

I don't think our defenders would agree with you. Their great form has been integral to our wins this year.

McDonald is a serious talent. Dees were happy to offload Hogan because of the development of Tom. You don't usually have these blokes out of form for too long. What if Melbourne play Preuss, Weidemann and McDonald in the forward line?

What are these speedy blokes going to do when the Dees mids kick the ball up high and give it air time? Will Battle and Brown be enough as the tall defenders? McDonald is 194cm, Weidman is 196 and Preuss is a giant. With no Carlisle we are missing a tall in defense.

We have a bloke who can potentially play the role that Seany Dempster used to play and come in to the line up with his main focus to spoil and help out as third man up in the marking contests. Sean is 191cm. Darragh is the same height as Tom McDonald

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:39am I don't think our defenders would agree with you. Their great form has been integral to our wins this year.

McDonald is a serious talent. Dees were happy to offload Hogan because of the development of Tom. You don't usually have these blokes out of form for too long. What if Melbourne play Preuss, Weidemann and McDonald in the forward line?

What are these speedy blokes going to do when the Dees mids kick the ball up high and give it air time? Will Battle and Brown be enough as the tall defenders? McDonald is 194cm, Weidman is 196 and Preuss is a giant. With no Carlisle we are missing a tall in defense.

We have a bloke who can potentially play the role that Seany Dempster used to play and come in to the line up with his main focus to spoil and help out as third man up in the marking contests. Sean is 191cm. Darragh is the same height as Tom McDonald
Wilkie is no midget, and play pretty tall too. Maybe Joyce for Paton, but tough to drop the kid after a decent game. I can't see the team balance being much different this game, as outside of Joyce we don't really have another tall to bring in (unless, for some strange reason, we drop Longer into the mix and Marshall rests in defense). IMO we'll go for speed and make sure it doesn't even get to their forward line.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We have to assume it gets into their forward line equally or more times than us. We can't ignore the stats. Their contested ball winners means they will get heaps of i50s.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:28am We have to assume it gets into their forward line equally or more times than us. We can't ignore the stats. Their contested ball winners means they will get heaps of i50s.
Agreed. In beating the Dees last year - we had Steele containing Oliver (which he mastered until the 15 min mark of the last 1/4) and there's no evidence that can't be acheived again this year. Blistering speed on the outside from Steven also gave us a huge leg-up. I think Geary will come in for Patton and that will be it sadly. From Aisle 38 - I saw us lose absolutely nothing in Patton replacing Gears ... and he was considerably more assured with ball in hand - good decisions well executed.

I feel that if J Steven plays - we're a mighty chance to deal with the Dees as we did last year. As good as we've been - we still need a point of difference and that is just speed (i.e. it's certainly not excellent skills, precise ball movement / retention).

Just praying that Jack S has a great week on the track and that his mind is well enough to give us a great shot of splitting the Dees in two via the wings on the 'G.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Attack them hard and attack the footy equally as ferociously as they do. If we have a mindset that thinks bruise free fruity and speed is going to the difference we will lose. The changes to the line up are going to sort themselves out and we'll play the guys who are 100% ready and injuruy free
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:28am We have to assume it gets into their forward line equally or more times than us. We can't ignore the stats. Their contested ball winners means they will get heaps of i50s.
From memory, their onballers didn't do terribly well last time we played them at the MCG...although Brayshaw had a field day, Jones was okay (don't know who played on him), Steele absolutely blanketed Oliver, Viney was injured (I think) and Longer matched Gawn in the ruck so their midfield supply was reduced anyway. But, we matched them last time, the difference being 3 talls in our forward line for most of the game, which smashed their defense.

spert
Saintsational Legend

What we need against the Demons are big games from Membrey and Bruce- they just didn't get themselves in position very well agains the Hawks and really need to play with a bit more authority next time. I think the Demon backline is a bit ordinary.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:15am
Speed freaks key to the game: Parker, Long, hind, Steven, Lonie, Savage, Webster
While I agree on the advantages of speed (For example in our last game the Dons did not have a speed advantage over us like they have had for years) Lonie is not quick let alone a speed freak.

This week, Geary back for the quicker Paton an so that will make us a touch slower.

I would like Hind (quite possibly our quickest player) in for Kent, but I suspect that will not happen.

DMac who is quick may miss die to concussion.

Steven will hopefully be in as his dash is important.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:45am What we need against the Demons are big games from Membrey and Bruce- they just didn't get themselves in position very well agains the Hawks and really need to play with a bit more authority next time. I think the Demon backline is a bit ordinary.
I think Membrey is at his best when he is playing as a "third tall role". He is not tall and most struggles I think when he has to actually play as key target.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:45am What we need against the Demons are big games from Membrey and Bruce- they just didn't get themselves in position very well agains the Hawks and really need to play with a bit more authority next time. I think the Demon backline is a bit ordinary.
I think Membrey is at his best when he is playing as a "third tall role". He is not tall and mostly struggles (or at least is not as effective) I think when he has to actually play as a key target.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:39am I don't think our defenders would agree with you. Their great form has been integral to our wins this year.

Last week Hawthorn forward line had the following options:
Gunston (193cm)
Scrimshaw (194cm)
Ceglar (204cm)
Roughead (193cm)
McEvoy (200cm)

Between them they kicked 2 goals (both by Roughead).

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So I'm assiming you are saying we did really well. I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the backline is unchanged. I'm happy with that. I gave Wilkie votes in the vote thread and thought he was crucial to the win. Also didn't realise how tall he is

Anyhow...a bit misleading to say they had the following options when many or all of those mentioned play both ends. I think you'll find Gunston was in defense more times than he was up forward. When he gets a chance to kick a goal he's usually exhausted. Ceglar and Bigboy are ruckmen, so that basically leaves Scrimshaw and Roughhead who we needed to cover for most of the game

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:31pm So I'm assiming you are saying we did really well. I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the backline is unchanged. I'm happy with that. I gave Wilkie votes in the vote thread and thought he was crucial to the win. Also didn't realise how tall he is

Anyhow...a bit misleading to say they had the following options when many or all of those mentioned play both ends. I think you'll find Gunston was in defense more times than he was up forward. When he gets a chance to kick a goal he's usually exhausted. Ceglar and Bigboy are ruckmen, so that basically leaves Scrimshaw and Roughhead who we needed to cover for most of the game
I sit on level 2 in the forward pocket so I get a good look at the forward setups of both sides. Gunston started very centre bounce inside forward 50 along with Scrimshaw, Ceglar and Roughead when he wasn't playing on ball. McEvoy rested in the forward half when Ceglar rucked so there was always 3 talls in their forward half.

Wilkie is a revelation, very athletic, great leap and beautiful kick. Josh Battle is developing nicely as the intercept marking option and is also a beautiful kick and thank God we recruited Nathan Brown, he is just a rock down back and is constantly yelling instructions to the back half, a great leader and super defender.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:31pm ...and thank God we recruited Nathan Brown, he is just a rock down back and is constantly yelling instructions to the back half, a great leader and super defender.
Those of us who claimed he came to the club as an excellent 5 year key position back (as opposed to a one year fill in, too old, too slow, etc) are looking like geniuses at the moment...if I don't say so myself! :lol: Sadly, with Austin now looking to be out for most of the season it looks like Browny will need to be great for some time, and I wouldn't be surprised if another key back is on our shopping list during this year's trade period too...we may not last until the much mooted recruitment of Ben King in 2021! :P

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Clavarino?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 5:41pmClavarino?
About 3 weeks away from resuming training, apparently. So we'll see, but could be anything at this stage, where are requirements should Browny go down are immediate.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 5:43pm should Browny go down are immediate.
Well if Brown got injured depending on the size/speed of the opponents key forward/s then you would imagine it would be:
-Joyce
and as both should be reasonably match fit soon:
-Rowe
-Marsh

Clav after having missed so much would be a long way of seniors you would expect. Has he filled out any over the summer?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brown had a few good one on one wins but he was also involved in plays where at least 2 goals were scored by the opposition due to his direct errors or his inability to impact a marking contest. And I'm not talking about the 50m penalty

Wilkie was the crucial cog in defense and one of the individuals that deserves BOG votes for the win. Take him out of the defensive area and we perhaps lose. He had the most minutes (of all players - both sides) on the ground very late in the game, and still had the speed and jump to make a critical contest against Jack Gunston.

Love the way that Shane Savage and Jimmy Webster worked the footy out of defense. These guys have a lot of experience now and I'm sure they can shout and point fingers as well as N Brown

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Let me jus clarify to people this is not the same Demons as last year.. they have been crap.. absolutely crap. Played three decent quarters of football this year. Key to beating them is speed due to the new rules exposing them and mcdonald looking awful.

Most of the team are shadows of last year, we are a huge chance based off form this year and should be favourite. But we will take underdog card again :mrgreen:

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Speed is good, but I'd still be inclined to bring in Longer to brutalize Max Gawn, it worked last time.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:15am Couldn’t be happier with how we have started and the effort alone has been just fantastic to watch compared to last couple of years.

Dees have a lot of genuine ball winners who are contested mids. Goodwin assumed with 6-6-6 this game plan was going to be advantagous... boy was he wrong.

Demands lead the league in contested possessions and have looked abysmal most of the time this year. Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, Viney and Jones all are much of the same bar Harmes with some pace. They win ball inside them usually bomb it long to an extremely out of form McDonald.

Most of their side are extremely one paced eg Petracca, key forwards, mids..

Now, key to beating demons is two things:
- Expose the outside game
- Spread
- Run and gun from half back with their extremely deep entries

We already have shown this year, when we click this is our strength and we now have some speed, but let’s inject more:

Hind - 40 posies and is extremely quick, bring him in
Steven - stints in mid and forward

Exactly how it played out... smashed them on spread and their defence putrid again. What a win!!!!

Club Player

have to give you that one mightyone! very perspicacious!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike