Players prepared to wear a tackle?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Players prepared to wear a tackle?

Its something that has been eating away at me for sometime. We are much better at hunting the opposition when they have the ball now, but we have become a team who doesnt liked being tackled ourselves. Particularly in the midfield we always want to seem the pass the tackling pressure onto one of our team mates. The opposition know this and are waiting to pressure the player the ball is delivered to.

Without Steven we lack break away speed so we have to look at other ways to draw the opposition and create space for our team mates. Too often we see blokes like Ross win the ball know the pressure is coming, and rather stand take the tackle draw the opposition and then give it off. Ross would rather give a 2 metre handball to a team mate in as much pressure relaying the pressure. Its not just Ross its 90% of our list who want to play touch football when we have it in close. Dunstan and Steele are the only players prepared to take the tackle.

Its something the the better midfields do well and its something that needs to be addressed on the training track. Its basically move when you receive the ball and if you are about to be tackled dont s*** the bed and handball to a player in a worse position. Take the pressure, create the space then give it off.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Players prepared to wear a tackle?

I have a theory. After Lonie went down with that knee, then Gears had the corkie, our guys have realised
that fierce contact carries much greater risks, and in the back of their minds, they want to minimise the chance of injury.
It's a natural human reaction.
Think back to Jack Newnes, before he got concussed against Shitney competing for a ground ball.
Up until then, he was hard at it, tough, got his body in.
Since then, he's been as bad as Weller was last year. In our wins, we all saw the Newnes of old, getting physical, getting rough and rugged. But now...

It's instinctive, that self-preservation.
Any first responder to car accidents will confirm that most injuries/deaths occur to front seat passengers, because the driver turns away from impact.

Early in our wins, I noticed Ross always riding the tackles and handballing nicely; I was amazed at the change in his
style, as well as the other guys. It's what gave us those wins.

They're NOT scared, they're just human.
Think about it.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:15pm, edited 3 times in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
freely
SS Hall of Fame

WS has a point. Think Eli.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Acres does it when he’s given the limited opportunity to play in the midfield.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Excellent observation Impatient, once a player decides he's going to wear a tackle, all of a sudden two or three opposition players commit to him. We don't do it enough yet we fall for it when they have the ball.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Ross' efforts pre-date any injuries that have happened this season, he's a serial offender over multiple seasons...its a wonder his teammates aren't running away from him when he has the ball!

saintadamski
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:05pm I have a theory. After Lonie went down with that knee, then Gears had the corkie, our guys have realised
that fierce contact carries much greater risks, and in the back of their minds, they want to minimise the chance of injury.
Think back to Jack Newnes, before he got concussed against Shitney competing for a ground ball.
Since then, he's been as bad as Weller was last year. In our wins, we all saw the Newnes of old, getting physical, getting rough and rugged. But now...

Any first responder to car accidents will confirm that most injuries/deaths occur to front seat passengers, because the driver turns away from impact.

Early in our wins, I noticed Ross always riding the tackles and handballing nicely; I was amazed at the change in his

Think about it.
Most ridiculous post I've read in ages...."just human" LMAO

These are professional footballers...if you can't ride a tackle as a player in an AFL game...it is time to find a new job

The real reason that many of our midfielders don't draw tackles, and release panicked hand passes to others under pressure is because they just aren't that good at their craft.

These faults should be pointed out and corrected by our coaches... but to be honest, not sure they are that good at their craft either.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintadamski wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 2:13am
WellardSaint wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:05pm I have a theory. After Lonie went down with that knee, then Gears had the corkie, our guys have realised

Think about it.

These are professional footballers...if you can't ride a tackle as a player in an AFL game...it is time to find a new job

The real reason that many of our midfielders don't draw tackles, and release panicked hand passes to others under pressure is because they just aren't that good at their craft.

These faults should be pointed out and corrected by our coaches... but to be honest, not sure they are that good at their craft either.
I've been thanked 105 times more than you have.
Looks like I'm an A Grade poster and you're languishing somewhere in the EDFL :lol:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Special
Club Player

Lonie’s loss was massive. He was fierce and arsehole to the opposition. His worth was much more than his possession count.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 3:48am

Think about it.

Looks like I'm an A Grade poster and you're languishing somewhere in the EDFL :lol:
More like the Eden 3rd 18.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Special wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 6:48am Lonie’s loss was massive. He was fierce and arsehole to the opposition. His worth was much more than his possession count.
This. It is a reflection on Lonie just how much difference his absence makes. Our forward pressure has disappeared with the little bloke......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintadamski
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 3:48am

Think about it.

Firstly, you've posted 4949 times since 2012 you idiot, compared to My 200 and something...so being thanked only 100 times more must be quite embarrassing for you.

Secondly, you actually believe that being 'thanked' by some of your matey mates on this forum, is confirmation that the fertilizer you type onto your screen are meaningful insights?

But you wouldn't really know any better, I mean, you're 'just human' right? Lol

HighettMan
Club Player

Think about it.

Most astute pundits of the game know that the Saints list is a little light-on for midefield depth and also needs an instant injection of an A grade midfielder to share the load.

Throw Stuv and Hanners into the gutz and see how it goes then. But yeah makes sense it's the coaches fault.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 8:44am
Special wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 6:48am Lonie’s loss was massive. He was fierce and arsehole to the opposition. His worth was much more than his possession count.
This. It is a reflection on Lonie just how much difference his absence makes. Our forward pressure has disappeared with the little bloke......
:shock:

saintadamski
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 12:04pm

Think about it.

Most astute pundits of the game know that the Saints list is a little light-on for midefield depth and also needs an instant injection of an A grade midfielder to share the load.

Throw Stuv and Hanners into the gutz and see how it goes then. But yeah makes sense it's the coaches fault.
Spot on Highett - so refreshing to read some straight up truth of the matter.

It's really really simple...no midfield depth, and coaches not addressing basics such as drawing tackles to free up outside mids.

It's not rocket science, and it certainly isn't "They're just human' Bullsh#t.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cho's duties include helping to mould and develop midfielders. Head coach was appointed November 2013.

Whether it's tackling, defense at stoppages, or our clearance work, it all falls back on coaching. Especially for a guy who has been the head coach for a number of years. He has run out of excuses and I think the sooner Richo and the club decide together to part ways, the better off the team and the players will be. Just like the Carlton and North recent examples

Year after year when Richo was first appointed we kept hearing that 'Saints will target a big fish'. Finnis and the Saints footy department should've had more focus developing or own. Either you back the list you have or don't bloody well recruit them in the first place. It's ok to try and lure A grade midfielders coming straight in to our team but the only way I've seen teams succedd is if the overall emphasis is on developing your youth.

Richo has had plenty of preseasons to work out the players on his list that could potentially provide midfield support to the Saints engine room. You'd think that he'd understand there is a need to bat deep and get game time into guys that will be needed to play a role.

In 2017 he had Hickey, Longer, Jack Steven, Ross, and Koby Stevens, Armo, Dunstan and Jack Sinclair, Jack Billings, Jade Gresham and Blake Acres all spending time in the middle and even Newnes and Lonie playing important roles at stoppages.

At the end of the home and away rounds in 2017, the Saints as club and as a footy department had fallen short once again and question marks still existed over many of the decisions and tactics of Richo. The talent chosen by Richo to create and provide the engine room for Saints victories was still looking a work in progress even after a tenure of 4 full years.

So what does Cho do in 2018 and who does he line up in the middle and at most stoppages? Yep, you guessed it - the same guys that he was using in 2016/2017 that had that miserable finish to the year and couldn't make finals!! Cho also had Weller performing midfield roles for 2-3 years and in hindsight that also failed but Weller was still one of the first players each week in Cho's line up during 2018.

Has Richo ever played Savage for 3-4 weeks as a mid? I think when we initially recruited him he was touted as a midfielder wasn't he? Did he try to play Gears as a tagger for a whole season the way GWS use DeBoar or the way Carlton use Ed Curnow? I think Ross Lyon used Gears in the midfield didn't he? Has he ever tried Webster as a mid? Has he tried Membrey as a mid? Tim is about the same size as David Mundy so why not try something different?

If you want to use the excuse that some of these blokes can't run all day or that they don't have the tank then that also falls back on the coaching and the lack of demands that he placed on certain personnel within the playing group that held back the team as a whole.

We finished outside the eight 2 years running and yet in 2018, we saw the same ol' same 'ol. What did Richo care? He had a contract secured. He had his boys and his leaders supporting him for the most part. Happy days.