Jack Billings Said...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HighettMan
Club Player

Jack Billings Said...

"Our coaching and support staff are second-to-none"

...after committing to a two year contract.

I've heard it from multiple sources that most of the players dig Big Al.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
portosaint
Club Player

Re: Jack Billings Said...

This would carry more weight had he been involved with other AFL clubs i guess. He has no comparison.

Run of the mill media jargon.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

In other news, after nearly 30 years of marriage Mrs Fantutti says I’m the best husband she’s ever had.
She had to think about it though.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 9:51am In other news, after nearly 30 years of marriage Mrs Fantutti says I’m the best husband she’s ever had.
Glad she's signed on for another year, but I can't imagine her bagging the Kos in public

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 9:51am In other news, after nearly 30 years of marriage Mrs Fantutti says I’m the best husband she’s ever had.
Do you have an extension clause? What's the trigger?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

HighettMan wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 7:41am "Our coaching and support staff are second-to-none"

Everyone is re-signing. Roma. Gresh Prince. JB. 3 young guns. Things can't be too bad down at Moorabbin. The boys are happy obviously. As JB said, he wants to be part of the Saints next flag. Great stuff. Very pleasing.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Special
Club Player

Of course the players love Cho.

He consistently rewards mediocrity

ace
Saintsational Legend

30 years, does that mean you are a cradle snatcher, young man.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Glad he has signed on and repaid the loyalty

Billings is in a very fortunate position in that the club looked after him and gave him time to mature.

If you're not going to be playing finals as a player year after year with the same coach, you may as well enjoy your work. No wonder Rooy stated last year that there was a wiff of mediocrity that had descended and hung over the playing group.

Our senior guys are definitely 'comfortable' with Cho and there's no doubt about that. Billings and a few others were very lucky to retain their spots in the early parts of their careers. JB had 2-3 very poor performances before Cho was forced to act last year. Even senior blokes like Mav, Newnes and others were untouchable. Who would ever thought that Nath Brown would have ever been dropped last year or back in his first year in 2017.

I don't believe that our head coach has been tough enough on his players. We've seen how some players had departed the Bulldogs group and felt the pressure of expectations when they were being asked as young men to consistently push themselves

I'd rather a hardarse like Luke Beveridge who pushes each and every player on the list to their absolute limits. Perhaps you'll get some collateral damage but you'd take that any day if it means you are a step closer to a flag tilt.

I'd rather a bloke who has the highest of standards as long as the leadership players are on board and as long as all players are treated equally as far as senior selection is concerned.

Clarkson apsired to be a premiership coach rather than someone who pumps up young guys before they have ever achieved anything in their career. Same with most of the assistants that have done their apprenticeships under Clarko.

Clarkson schnitzelled his players in 2017 while Richo talked about who he thought was going to be a 'beauty' and a 'ripper' player on the list if they got 10 touches in a game. Richo is pleased when we have a strong effort and on many occasions asked his supporters to park aside a full quarter of footy that cost us a win.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 21 Jun 2019 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 7:41am I've heard it from multiple sources that most of the players dig Big Al.
In times of same sex marriage, gender fluidity and the gay loving AFL, behaviour of players digging the coach is to be expected.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 12:50pm
I think that makes her a cradle snatcher.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Craw
Club Player

satchmo wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 9:56am
Glad she's signed on for another year, but I can't imagine her bagging the Kos in public
Yes but I think she is on a performance based contract .... some kpi's need to be met to get an extension 8-)

Not Craw, CRAW!
HighettMan
Club Player

Do the 1%ers like putting the toilet seat down after use and you will go straight into the hall of fame legends.

HighettMan
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 12:51pm Glad he has signed on and repaid the loyalty

Billings is in a very fortunate position in that the club looked after him and gave him time to mature.

If you're not going to be playing finals as a player year after year with the same coach, you may as well enjoy your work. No wonder Rooy stated last year that there was a wiff of mediocrity that had descended and hung over the playing group.

Our senior guys are definitely 'comfortable' with Cho and there's no doubt about that. Billings and a few others were very lucky to retain their spots in the early parts of their careers. JB had 2-3 very poor performances before Cho was forced to act last year. Even senior blokes like Mav, Newnes and others were untouchable. Who would ever thought that Nath Brown would have ever been dropped last year or back in his first year in 2017.

I don't believe that our head coach has been tough enough on his players. We've seen how some players had departed the Bulldogs group and felt the pressure of expectations when they were being asked as young men to consistently push themselves

I'd rather a hardarse like Luke Beveridge who pushes each and every player on the list to their absolute limits. Perhaps you'll get some collateral damage but you'd take that any day if it means you are a step closer to a flag tilt.

I'd rather a bloke who has the highest of standards as long as the leadership players are on board and as long as all players are treated equally as far as senior selection is concerned.

Clarkson apsired to be a premiership coach rather than someone who pumps up young guys before they have ever achieved anything in their career. Same with most of the assistants that have done their apprenticeships under Clarko.

Clarkson schnitzelled his players in 2017 while Richo talked about who he thought was going to be a 'beauty' and a 'ripper' player on the list if they got 10 touches in a game. Richo is pleased when we have a strong effort and on many occasions asked his supporters to park aside a full quarter of footy that cost us a win.
Have you read the rules for posting in my threads?

Dot points are required for boring crapology and anything new and interesting should be restricted to 3 short paragraphs max with a maximum of 2 to 3 sentencess.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 7:41am "Our coaching and support staff are second-to-none"

Wow! He's committed alright. We're paying him well and truly overs within the industry for where he is at right now and he's still only committed to two years, which takes him nicely into free agency.

Some ppl are getting excited about a great game against the GC - the worst or 2nd worst team in the comp.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. He done absolutely nothing to justify the ridiculous money the club is paying him. We're paying him on potential. At least jack steven has won 4 x B&F's, even if it is in a poor era for the club. If jack was truly repaying us he would sign for 4-5 years. He's keeping a toe dipped in the water.

HighettMan
Club Player

Moods wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 2:47pm

Wow! He's committed alright. We're paying him well and truly overs within the industry for where he is at right now and he's still only committed to two years, which takes him nicely into free agency.

Some ppl are getting excited about a great game against the GC - the worst or 2nd worst team in the comp.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. He done absolutely nothing to justify the ridiculous money the club is paying him. We're paying him on potential. At least jack steven has won 4 x B&F's, even if it is in a poor era for the club. If jack was truly repaying us he would sign for 4-5 years. He's keeping a toe dipped in the water.
If we want to be absolute pricks about it you could mount an argument that Jack Steven won his B&Fs in some pretty ordinary years and probably would be 3 or 4 banana in a top 4 side.

But I'm not a prick.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 3:27pm

If we want to be absolute pricks about it you could mount an argument that Jack Steven won his B&Fs in some pretty ordinary years and probably would be 3 or 4 banana in a top 4 side.

But I'm not a prick.
Who's to say that he could have won a Brownlow, Norm Smith and multiple premierships if he was in a top 4 side. Who's to say if Steven was an even better player if he was at another club during his peak years.

Any player who is nominated multiple times for the All Australian 40 squad (even if Steven just missed the final cut) is more than just 3-4 banana. You have probably at least 1 or 2 mids from each of the top 4 sides plus at least 7-8 more mids from the finalists plus 4-5 outstanding mids in the bottom 8. That's over 20 mids with perhaps only 8-10 making the final cut.

Stating an opinion is not being a prick but painting a 4 x B&F winner in a negative fashion probably earns you a nomination

HighettMan
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 4:57pm

But I'm not a prick.
Who's to say that he could have won a Brownlow, Norm Smith and multiple premierships if he was in a top 4 side. Who's to say if Steven was an even better player if he was at another club during his peak years.

Any player who is nominated multiple times for the All Australian 40 squad (even if Steven just missed the final cut) is more than just 3-4 banana. You have probably at least 1 or 2 mids from each of the top 4 sides plus at least 7-8 more mids from the finalists plus 4-5 outstanding mids in the bottom 8. That's over 20 mids with perhaps only 8-10 making the final cut.

Stating an opinion is not being a prick but painting a 4 x B&F winner in a negative fashion probably earns you a nomination
Getting better, you have compiled with the 3 paragraph max rule but you have grammatically cheated in P2 by making your 3 sentence max too long. Please try harder or I may have to make a max word per paragraph rule.

Now let's consider your whatif logic for Charlies, Normies and flags, what if Alan had a Brownlow medalist, Norm Smith Medalist and numerous premiership players on the list, not only would Jack possibly be a better player, Alan could possibly be a premiership coach.

Tell me again how one person is to blame for our performances. Remember though, summarise all crapology in dot point.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Are you having fun with this new game of yours? You would probably cheat at games and then tell us the rules changed and we're stupid for forgetting.

If Alan wanted to build a capable list, and aspire to be a premiership coach he should have thought about that 6 years ago

I'm reassessing my previous post. I definitely think you are prick

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on a poster>

Moods
Saintsational Legend

But I'm not a prick.
What's your point? I agree. I've pointed out numerous times on here that Jack Steven is probably overrated by us supporters. His disposal is average and he's not great overhead. BUT he's the best we've got and he's proven it over a long period of time so he deserves the big contract.

My point is that Billings is conveniently only signing on until he comes into FA. That's his prerogative but I think some supporters wrapping him up as repaying us with loyalty when we're overpaying him in the first place is a bit misplaced. He's obviously keen to look around in 2 x yrs. It's as much an indictment on us as a club and not something for us to be celebrating once you delve deeper. He doesn't trust us to be a contender and wants to see where we are. Forget the platitudes he feeds the media, he has to say that after signing a contract, analyse his actions which suggest at this stage, he's happy to take the money on a short term contract, but he's not committing to anything....

George27
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 1:11pm
ace wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 12:50pm
I think that makes her a cradle snatcher.
Dangerous comment , Kosi. That may get back to her . Indeed, there is a risk she is already on this forum , reading everything you say..

Anyway, best wishes to you and Mrs F for your Brett Peake anniversary. Mrs G and I just celebrated our Jeff Sarau ( and I readily admit I am the cradle snatcher ! )

HighettMan
Club Player

Moods wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 6:08pm

But I'm not a prick.
What's your point? I agree. I've pointed out numerous times on here that Jack Steven is probably overrated by us supporters. His disposal is average and he's not great overhead. BUT he's the best we've got and he's proven it over a long period of time so he deserves the big contract.

My point is that Billings is conveniently only signing on until he comes into FA. That's his prerogative but I think some supporters wrapping him up as repaying us with loyalty when we're overpaying him in the first place is a bit misplaced. He's obviously keen to look around in 2 x yrs. It's as much an indictment on us as a club and not something for us to be celebrating once you delve deeper. He doesn't trust us to be a contender and wants to see where we are. Forget the platitudes he feeds the media, he has to say that after signing a contract, analyse his actions which suggest at this stage, he's happy to take the money on a short term contract, but he's not committing to anything....
You could mount an argument the risk/reward is balanced fairly on both sides. He might not improved over the next 2 years, his is a still notch or two below the elite level and arguably a B+ grade player on average at present with the occasional A grade performance. The next 2 years gives both sides options if Jack doesn't reach the elite grade and decisions and/or adjustments can be made at that time.

Ageee it would have been silly to have signed him up on eltie wages for 2-5 years based on the potential of him reaching the elite grade, it's a fair and sensible deal for both sides.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2019 6:08pm

But I'm not a prick.

To be fair, good on the kid, shows some smarts. Puts the acid on the club to get things right. Fingers crossed, the club is in a position that he wants to sign for 5 years next time & be part of a threepeat!

Just glad he signed, if we can't attract quality we can't afford to have the quality we have walk out the door.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes, but what does Wayne Carey think about your performance?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Josh Battle
Club Player

I've said it before and I'll say it again. He done absolutely nothing to justify the ridiculous money the club is paying him. We're paying him on potential.
Well done Moods. Sums things up about most of this group under Richo. Not consistent enough

His team mates look for him and trust JB for his elite passing but Billings was just continually fumbling today

Billings was poor at times when it came to winning the contested footy.
Can't stand it when we lose control of the football because a player takes his eyes off the footy.

Also... Wasn't alone in this respect and both Ross and Newnes need a spell if they are going to let down the team with bruise free footy