Grant Thomas says...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas says...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas says...

From the above article

"Grant Thomas has urged St Kilda to “get into the game” with an “outrageously brave” $2 million offer for a premiership coach if they sack Alan Richardson in coming months.

The man who took St Kilda to a trio of finals appearances will be passed on 123 games coached at the club by Richardson against Richmond this weekend.

He would take no joy in Richardson’s sacking, but believes St Kilda needs a coaching titan who smacks of leadership and ambition rather than another development coach.

Thomas yesterday said the coaching model that saw an EPL-style general manager with a tactical master underneath him could easily be adopted by St Kilda and Carlton.
Grant Thomas says St Kilda must be bold when it goes hunting for its next coach.

But the Herald Sun the Saints had to find a way to lure one of the AFL’s best coaches at any cost.

“I would love St Kilda to make a statement and get Alastair Clarkson or whoever is in the business, just go out and get him. I don’t care if it cost a million dollars more than it is supposed to,” he said.

“I just hope St Kilda bites the bullet and makes a really outrageously brave decision and stop all this crap and put us on a pathway to where we haven’t been for so long. It’s just been too long. The time is now, we have got to do it.
Thomas says he’d love to see the Saints poach Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson. Picture: AAP

“So if you pay someone two million a year instead of a million a year, you would get that back by way of a premiership and members and fan support. We need to stop wallowing around and trialling people. The formula is wrong and apart from the fact coaches are learning on the job players’ careers are compromised during the learning process.”

Thomas believes Richardson has elite development capabilities but holds firm to the view senior coaches need a mix of corporate CEO and leader of men.

“I have had a couple of meetings with him and I think internally he would be tormenting himself, he would feel under extreme pressure wondering what he can do to turn it around

He would be hoping for another chance,” Thomas said.

“It’s not to discredit Richo because he’s one of the very best development coaches the game has seen but it’s a mismatch of trying to turn assistant coaches into coaches.

“He should still be carving out a career as a development coach, who can be as important as a senior coach.

“If I was in charge of St Kilda I would know what I would do and it’s up to them to make up their mind. He has been there six years and they haven’t played a final and he should be reasonably proud of what they have done but in this brutal environment you need to deliver breakthrough performances and it’s been business as usual.

“Breakthrough performance is only achieved with outstanding individuals and the footy club needs to source one.”

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Easier said than done. Not everyone will take the money and if they are only coming for the money then I'm not sure they are the one we want. Isn't that what we did with Blight?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

remboy wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019 9:48pm Easier said than done. Not everyone will take the money and if they are only coming for the money then I'm not sure they are the one we want. Isn't that what we did with Blight?
Funnily enough, that was the brst move the club has made in my lifetime.

Even with the $1m to Blight, our overall coaching department cost was in the bottom half of the league.

So the outlay was never a problem.

But it drew Gehrig and Hamill to the club, sponsors, and about 10 thousand more members.

I actually think that's the exact type of call GT is referribg to.

HighettMan
Club Player

Clarkson isn't doing so well now he doesn't have a stable full of once in a generation players. He will finish this current contract and then be available. Until then forget it. Does GT think he's the first person to come up with his Eureka moment. If it was that easy the power clubs would move that chess piece well before us.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Clarkson is ready for a change just needs the signal from a club ready to invest in him and prove they will pay the price for a long term game plan. Hawks are still keen and are in the mini rebuild for the next 2 years at least.

I think he is 200% our kind of leader but 0% chance we harden up and refuse to come home without him.
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Wed 26 Jun 2019 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps he is just as frustrated as the rest of us and the point is: for goodness sake do something and make sure its not a plodder you pick, Clarkson's name is just a stalking horse (no pun intended).

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019 9:43pm
“Breakthrough performance is only achieved with outstanding individuals and the footy club needs to source one.”
Thanks for posting Saynta.

Is it just me or does that last paragraph smack of "that was me"?

I agree with HM to a degree in that Thomas makes it sound simplistic. That simply throwing a truckload of money at someone, something will get the desired result.

Arguably a million dollars in 2001 is actually more than two million today, look how that turned out. I agree Blight attracted the players & Watson's failings attracted the picks but Blight was in it only for the money. The only one who got what they wanted from that exercise was GT.

Surely that's a history lesson we should learn from rather than repeat. Invest that money in all areas needed to produce a premiership team; coaching, recruiting & development.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019 10:33pm

I agree with HM to a degree in that Thomas makes it sound simplistic. That simply throwing a truckload of money at someone, something will get the desired result.

Arguably a million dollars in 2001 is actually more than two million today, look how that turned out. I agree Blight attracted the players & Watson's failings attracted the picks but Blight was in it only for the money. The only one who got what they wanted from that exercise was GT.

Surely that's a history lesson we should learn from rather than repeat. Invest that money in all areas needed to produce a premiership team; coaching, recruiting & development.
Great post - Thomas’s crap just smacks of 80s corporate management (where he belongs) , simplistic nonseninsical dribble.
We ain’t getting Clarkson......I’m more worried that Lethlean is doing a mates rates deal for Scott who IMO is an abject failure and proven squat as a senior coach.

“Yeah….nah””
Rubyjo
Club Player

Grant being a little generous to Richo I'd would say.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Does that mean Lethlean will be the next coach? :shock:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Ape_Man
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote:Grant being a little generous to Richo I'd would say.
Calling Richo a ‘development’ coach.
That tickled my funny bone.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

We can't just bring in a special guy and improve a lot.
We have serious flaws in our list-
no back up ruck
no genuine marking options in F50 (King is a year away from being starting 22)
substandard mids like Seb, who is crap, and Dunstan, who is slow
We'd need patience while coach decides who to draft, and then develop them properly.
I don't think we'll get 4 great FAs in, regardless of who the new coach is.

So improvement will happen in 2021.
2020 is learning new style

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ape_Man
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:We can't just bring in a special guy and improve a lot.
We have serious flaws in our list-
no back up ruck
no genuine marking options in F50 (King is a year away from being starting 22)
substandard mids like Seb, who is crap, and Dunstan, who is slow
We'd need patience while coach decides who to draft, and then develop them properly.
I don't think we'll get 4 great FAs in, regardless of who the new coach is.

So improvement will happen in 2021.
2020 is learning new style
I genuinely believe the last 2 issues can be worked on, or around.

No marking options, maybe don’t bomb to the square. How about hitting up someone a little farther out but in range?

Hanner’s will be more than serviceable in the middle. Get Stuv back with Steele and we have an above average starting midfield.

Second ruck is a pressing concern, hopefully one that can be rectified during the trade period.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I miss GT, his brutal honesty. Tells it like it is. I agree wholeheartedly re Clarkson. Throw the bank at him, and when we're playing attractive footy and winning finals again, that investment will pay for itself.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019 10:05pm

Even with the $1m to Blight, ....

Surely you dont think GT thought the Blight move was a good one?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
BarryGrogan
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 2:19am
BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019 10:05pm

Even with the $1m to Blight, ....

Surely you dont think GT thought the Blight move was a good one?
It was.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I don’t think GT is saying that dumping a truckload of cash onto a coach of Clarko’s calibre will be the magic bullet, more that the club may need to be extremely bold in trying to attract a high quality coach.

Yes, the Blight saga ended in tears, but the justification for keeping Richo was how the sackings of ex-coaches has been a proven failure. But after six years, the longer they stick by Richo, the longer it looks like they’ve been naively backing the wrong horse.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

It was good for GT. But who's our GT in waiting?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 7:27am It was good for GT. But who's our GT in waiting?
It was good for the club.

Coaching department soending remained in the bottom half of the comp.

Thousands of new members.

Gehrig and Hamill joined the club.

It was a turning point in our history. We were in a Prelim within 3 years of it.
We went from last to 3rd from that decision.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 7:26am

Yes, the Blight saga ended in tears
Why?

16th to 3rd within 3 years.

Centurion goal kicker.

Record membership.

Club captain.

It wasn't a great ending for Blight obviously, but the whole thing was just brilliant for the club.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 7:49am

Why?

Centurion goal kicker.

Record membership.

Club captain.

It wasn't a great ending for Blight obviously, but the whole thing was just brilliant for the club.
I'm not sure brilliant for the club is the best description. It was fantastic the purchasing of the Blight name secured Gehrig, Hamill and others. Brilliance would have been a due process to secure the best possible candidate to coach. Utilising the money on the entire coaching, development and fitness structures.
It would have been highly likely St Kilda would have secured their 2nd and 3rd flags, possibly more by the end of 2012.
That would have been brilliant.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 8:20am

Why?

Centurion goal kicker.

Record membership.

Club captain.

I'm not sure brilliant for the club is the best description. It was fantastic the purchasing of the Blight name secured Gehrig, Hamill and others. Brilliance would have been a due process to secure the best possible candidate to coach. Utilising the money on the entire coaching, development and fitness structures.
It would have been highly likely St Kilda would have secured their 2nd and 3rd flags, possibly more by the end of 2012.
The challenge however was that the allure of Blight was required to get the names

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 7:27am It was good for GT. But who's our GT in waiting?
Lethlean

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 8:44am
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 8:20am

Why?

Centurion goal kicker.

Record membership.

Club captain.

The challenge however was that the allure of Blight was required to get the names
Precisely Skeptic, the million dollars should have been written off by the recruiting department , not the coaching department. The only good thing about the Blight fiasco was the players he attracted.

The club need to get so much else right to coincide with our next coach, regardless of who it is & how much they splash on them.