Sinclair and Acres the drifters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Sinclair and Acres the drifters

Watching them on Sunday it could not be clearer

They drift.
They drift up and down the ground but with rarely any urgency

So many times we look to come out of defence and it should be these guys sprinting (yes running fast) to provide a target.

But no they just drift

Can people remember when Harvey or others would arrive at a stoppage , hands on thighs recovering from the last few efforts

When was the last time you saw either of these two do that

They have both played enough games to be impacting the game and leading the club

Having said that I am loving Wilkie Hind Parker all playing with passion and endeavour

Not one to bag our own but 8 and 35 are not the future

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Sinclair and Acres the drifters

I think judge them after they've had a season under a new coach. These two have played their entire careers under Cho. Like Newnes. They know no different.

I will repeat what I've said on here a gazillion times - every organisation is created and operates in the image of it's leaders. Cho, Finnis, Summers (Bassat is too for the record but has a very ruthless streak) are all very nice people whom are boring, bland, vanilla, beige and every other non-positive adjective you want to add in there. Do you really think it's any surprise our players play without any urgency, passion, drive, verve, flair when they hear what they hear in the manner all day every day.

I couldn't imagine wanting to break toilet paper for that lot let alone run through a brick wall for them

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a sad sad post saintmatt.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 11:26am What a sad sad post saintmatt.
Which part?

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 11:23am I think judge them after they've had a season under a new coach. These two have played their entire careers under Cho. Like Newnes. They know no different.
Agree. It may be that Acres has been played out of position his entire career. Not giving up on either of them.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 12:05pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 11:23am I think judge them after they've had a season under a new coach. These two have played their entire careers under Cho. Like Newnes. They know no different.
Agree. It may be that Acres has been played out of position his entire career. Not giving up on either of them.
I don’t care what position you are playing you can still show that you want to impose yourself onto the game

The new 666 has set the game up for wingers. Have a look at how Val Perovic started off as a tall winger.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 12:08pm
I don’t care what position you are playing you can still show that you want to impose yourself onto the game

The new 666 has set the game up for wingers. Have a look at how Val Perovic started off as a tall winger.
Let’s see how they respond to a new coach. In Acres case I sense that he’s never been a particular favourite of Richo’s.

He tends to prefer less creative “strong at the ball types” such as Billy Longer.

I think Richo might be a poor judge of a footballer. Sees talent where it isn’t and doesn’t see it where it is.

Or, even worse, makes football decisions based on who he likes and doesn’t like. I hope not

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 12:19pm

Let’s see how they respond to a new coach. In Acres case I sense that he’s never been a particular favourite of Richo’s.

He tends to prefer less creative “strong at the ball types” such as Billy Longer.

I think Richo might be a poor judge of a footballer. Sees talent where it isn’t and doesn’t see it where it is.

Or, even worse, makes football decisions based on who he likes and doesn’t like. I hope not
I don’t particularly disagree with you. However they may not get a chance with a new coach

A new coach if there is one will no doubt cut around 10 players so you would think that if you were a player you would want to be showing any prospective coach what you’ve got

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 1:11pm

I don’t particularly disagree with you. However they may not get a chance with a new coach

A new coach if there is one will no doubt cut around 10 players so you would think that if you were a player you would want to be showing any prospective coach what you’ve got
We’ll see. But if I was a prospective coach I’d look at both of them, particularly Acres, and think hmmm, I could help make something of this kid.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Playing HF, terrible place to play at StK

Both are wings/mids... Sinclair can play small forward but is better up the ground

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Why sprint forward?
Only further to run back following the inevitable turn over?

“Yeah….nah””
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 2:01pm Playing HF, terrible place to play at StK

Both are wings/mids... Sinclair can play small forward but is better up the ground
They both spend plenty of time on the wing

Josh Battle
Club Player

If the head coach tells his team to look for Gresh, JB, Seb Ross and Shane Savage and get the ball to these guys so that they can distribute, then what the hell do you expect from Acres? Our players don't play well because they lack leadership and lack good decision making.

Wilkie, Shavage and Carlisle should be trying to hit up Blake more. I wish they'd utilise Acres through the centre and take advantage of his overhead marking ability.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sincs and Acres spend 80% time on ground as forwards

Wingman this year have been
Billings, Newnes, Hannebury, Paton and a few other here an there

I agree, they under perform though, even though the average HF get 15-20ppg due to structural positioning, they can’t just ball hunt.

Acres is the classic girl with a curl. And when he get the ball, his decision making goes can be ridiculously good or bad.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 5:08pm Sincs and Acres spend 80% time on ground as forwards

Wingman this year have been
Billings, Newnes, Hannebury, Paton and a few other here an there

I agree, they under perform though, even though the average HF get 15-20ppg due to structural positioning, they can’t just ball hunt.

Acres is the classic girl with a curl. And when he get the ball, his decision making goes can be ridiculously good or bad.
Phillips has played all his games on the wing. Surprised you forgot to mention him.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think you raise a good point TSR. After the game on Sunday we were all wondering what it is that Sinclair does. We couldn't even agree on what position he plays.

Acres is similar, he has never been allowed to settle in a position. Frustrating for us and I'm sure is doing his head in.

What I do notice is that players stop running when they continue to be ignored. I've noticed St Kilda players as a whole failing to acknowledge those running in support. Is this a sign of selfishness, lack of confidence, confusion or understanding?

What seems a relatively small thing is something done by the very best teams. It probably contributes to bombing the ball in forward of centre & that disconnect from the back half through the middle.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 11:01am Watching them on Sunday it could not be clearer

They drift.

So many times we look to come out of defence and it should be these guys sprinting (yes running fast) to provide a target.

But no they just drift

Can people remember when Harvey or others would arrive at a stoppage , hands on thighs recovering from the last few efforts

They have both played enough games to be impacting the game and leading the club

Having said that I am loving Wilkie Hind Parker all playing with passion and endeavour

Starting to think this myself...

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do we know it’s not Acres fault that he hasn’t commanded a position through sketchy form? Chicken or egg?!

He is definitely a tease, that doesn’t always deliver.

I do know he is not used through the middle much due to his defensive work without the ball, he just hunts the footy without a defensive mindset when the opposition have the ball.

His decision making is a bit unreliable too, no one seems to know what he’s gonna do, least of all himself is the joke.

He also struggles with game plan structure, and finds himself out of position at times.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

We do not appear to be blessed with many great decision makers. Surely we can't be that unlucky to recruit a majority of poor decision makers?

Or is there a common denominator that brings all these poor decision makers together in the one team and allow them to shine?

Josh Battle
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 7:17pm How do we know it’s not Acres fault that he hasn’t commanded a position through sketchy form? Chicken or egg?!

He is definitely a tease, that doesn’t always deliver.

I do know he is not used through the middle much due to his defensive work without the ball, he just hunts the footy without a defensive mindset when the opposition have the ball.

His decision making is a bit unreliable too, no one seems to know what he’s gonna do, least of all himself is the joke.

He also struggles with game plan structure, and finds himself out of position at times.
That's nearly an identical style of post to most of Richo's assessments on individual players and also on how the team functions at times. He likes to wash his hands of responsibility and virtually plays the same line up week in week out with blokes in the same positions regardless of results

Not all footy players need to be rhode scollars. Most coaches will realise this won't they? Really easy to have a good long term plan. Stick to it and be disciplined and give a developing prospect some clear instructions. Has Cho ever done that with Blake?

Cordz2
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 6:58pm
terry smith rules wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 11:01am Watching them on Sunday it could not be clearer

They drift.

But no they just drift

Ditto

Starting to think this myself...

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 7:17pm
Interestingly, I read this earlier in the year from a 'behind the scenes' during the pre-season:

"Richardson takes control again as he heads to the laptop to find 90 seconds of vision of Blake Acres. In a new initiative this summer, each meeting looks at two players' strengths to assist with the gameplan, while a younger member of the playing group talks through the vision.

Hunter Clark steps up to the plate to praise Acres' ability to keep his feet, his defensive run, decision-making and potential to cause a mismatch for opponents.

With the rest of the list asked for insights on Acres, Roberton recognises his influence late in tight games."

So either Clark doesn't know what he's talking about, os blowing smoke up Acres' arse or he can see something that the rest of us can't!

To the top
SS Life Member

Some on here must watch a different game to me

The treatment of Acres by Richardson has been what it has been from game 1 - so obviously not a favourite such as Longer and Geary et al

It is my view that Acres has all the skills - and that includes disposal interestingly off both right and left foot, so one of a few we have with similar skill

My view is that he should be in the guts, not running the wings and/or playing as a forward or rucking

Through the centre of the paddock, hunting the ball

What he can improve on is his overhead marking because that result is not optimal even allowing for contests in the forward line where entry to advantage is not a team strength

In regard Sinclair, he is not in my best 22

Just does not have a presence

There are a number of players in the same boat as Sinclair - but Acres is not one of them

And the Kiwi’s need a wicket to seal this result

The Indian momentum is fragile because they are 6 down and the RRR is about 9 - so wickets are priceless on every variable that applies to 50 over cricket

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

just not accountable

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'd think Acres and Sinlcair, along with Billings and Clark, would be prime candidates to see a big improvement with a new coach. Richo seems determined to get sacked playing Dunstan, Ross and Steele in the middle for most of the game. Sinclair attended 10 centre bounces on the weekend and had the same number of centre clearances as that trio combined. He's better with the ball than any of those three are and I think he's better defensively than what I've seen a lot of people suggest. I'd like to see him get more opportunity, not less.

I apologise if I sound like a broken record here, but, to me, the most baffling thing about Richo's time here is how little he has experimented with a team that has had few elite players and little to no chance of playing finals. I can't believe he's worked himself around to giving Luke Dunstan regular midfield minutes again. We're missing Steven, but North were missing Higgins. Instead of just throwing the same old players into the middle that Brad Scott had ridden to perennial mediocrity, Shaw has put Jy Simpkin in there and he was the game's leading possession and clearance winner on the weekend. They're 4 points and percentage out of the eight now and we're bottom four.

Maybe Acres and Sinclair could have run harder from contest to contest. I don't know. It seems like a very odd and specific complaint to single out those two on a team so bland with so many problems.

Yeah nah pleasing positive