Battle forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Battle forward

Josh Battle has been quite a success as a back. But I think he'd be a success anywhere so I wasn't suprised that he could adapt to defence.
But key forwards are far rarer to find. He is one in the making.
We are desperate for people who can reliably kick goals. He has shown himself to be an accurate kick. You don't have to be super tall to be a success. Tim Membrey is a great example of a 'tall' who is just 188cm. I think it's more about structure and the ability to be mobile. Brett Ratten has indicated a need for greater accountability with our disposals. And especially with our accuracy in front of goal. With the addition of Ben King we have sufficient height (and marking ability). Josh Battle to the forward line is a no-brainer.

Rocket
Club Player

Re: Battle forward

He was All Australian Under 18 - Centre Half Forward

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

While I'd be inclined to leave him in the backline as he has found his position, I think he could be a weapon that we could use in the forward line on occasion and when the need (eg if permanent key forwards are struggling) or opportunity (eg to exploit a mismatch and/or float down to take advantage of a slack checking forward) arose.

He appears to have the required skills and tools to be able to do this effectively (eg kicking for goal, marking, gut running and tank, ability to read the play and judge the ball etc).

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Needs to go forward- that's where we will see his best

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I'm still amazed that he wasn't picked earlier in the draft,
he was pick #39.
We're incredibly lucky that he was still there when we had our 2nd pick.

He only went to defence to fill a big gap, Robbo being injured and Hugh Goddard not coming on as expected.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I hope Ratts has a look at him up forward over the summer and makes up his own mind.

I do seem to remember him being a bit of a dead eye , and it sure would be nice to convert more of our shots on goal.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we are going to move Marshall from a position he played well in, we may as well do the same with Battle?

While we’re at it, move Jack Steele off the oppositions best, move Dunstan out of the centre square and Billings from the wing to somewhere else?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It depends a bit on what happens with Josh Bruce and also how quickly Max King comes on.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Another reason to offload Bruce... so we can move Battle from a position he has done well at... good logic.

Battle plays forward a lot more like Membrey anyway... a hard leading mid size... not really a pack buster

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 8:01pm Another reason to offload Bruce... so we can move Battle from a position he has done well at... good logic.

Battle plays forward a lot more like Membrey anyway... a hard leading mid size... not really a pack buster
Point is, if Bruce goes we’ll need to revamp the forward line somewhat. If that happens - and it may - I can see a place for Battle up forward.

Personally, I’d keep Bruce as a versatile big guy who can play back, forward and second ruck. I’m not convinced he should be our main target inside 50 though.

Long bombs to Joshy don’t seem to get it done.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Josh Bruce was recruited as a key back.

Josh Battle was recruited as a key forward.

I've got a good idea...

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 7:25pm If we are going to move Marshall from a position he played well in, we may as well do the same with Battle?

While we’re at it, move Jack Steele off the oppositions best, move Dunstan out of the centre square and Billings from the wing to somewhere else?
I'd certainly be loathe to move Marshall away from being an onballer, and agree with your thoughts on 'Iron Grip' Jack.
But I like a side that has flexibility. It can help players break tags, as well as making us less predictable.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

DownAtTheJunction wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 11:08am
B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 7:25pm If we are going to move Marshall from a position he played well in, we may as well do the same with Battle?

I'd certainly be loathe to move Marshall away from being an onballer, and agree with your thoughts on 'Iron Grip' Jack.
But I like a side that has flexibility. It can help players break tags, as well as making us less predictable.
Bump.

Battle’s goals were super important against the Suns

Good call late last year DownAtTheJunction. His goals were clutch at a critical time

Looking forward to your impact scores this week
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 06 Aug 2020 11:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think Battle is the real x-factor of our season. If he can step up a bit more like tonight it adds a whole new layer of unpredictability to our team

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He was one of our better players tonight. I thought the Saints got back into the game when King went off.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I like how Josh took the contested mark and went back and just kicked it.

Impressive.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
johnearljames
Club Player

Flexible player. Just a smart footballer. Need to re-sign as he could forward or back to cover key position players and can be used anywhere every week.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 06 Aug 2020 11:59pm I like how Josh took the contested mark and went back and just kicked it.

Impressive.
Sharp contrast compared to his game against Carlton (I think) where he looked unlikely to hit the side of a barn.

Both goals were under pressure

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He looks like he is ready to take the next step and be consistently dangerous up forward and flexible enough to run from end to end with great impact.
I expect he just earnt a lot of respect from Ratten tonight. It's fantastic to see young players come on and impact when it matters.
Sign him up for 4 years now.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

When Membrey, King and Marshall didn’t really look like taking a mark up forward he was fantastic.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 06 Aug 2020 11:51pm

Bump.

Good call late last year DownAtTheJunction. His goals were clutch at a critical time

Thanks Scollop, I think every Sainter knows who had the impact this week - the guy who slotted four. I’m not sure what he’ll score in the ‘Impact’ ratings but I’ll be in hiding if he is not near the top.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

DownAtTheJunction wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 12:23am

Bump.

Thanks Scollop, I think every Sainter knows who had the impact this week - the guy who slotted four. I’m not sure what he’ll score in the ‘Impact’ ratings but I’ll be in hiding if he is not near the top.
Good little thought there actually DATJ...

Does the significance of the play in the context of the match impact the score? Should it?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 12:29am
DownAtTheJunction wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 12:23am

Bump.

Good little thought there actually DATJ...

Does the significance of the play in the context of the match impact the score? Should it?
Considering Hind's score last week, he should do ok.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Battle is a genuine swingman
Good at both ends and can play on the wing.

Nee!
saintkid
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 12:53am Battle is a genuine swingman
Good at both ends and can play on the wing.
Battle is going to be quite important to the structure of the team and will make it harder for opposition teams to sort out their match ups. Gives us a bit of X factor with the way he can play well both forward and back.