Worst national anthem in the history the Grand Final?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jmac101
Club Player

Worst national anthem in the history the Grand Final?

Anyone else disappointed with those two muppets butchering the national anthem yesterday?

I was looking forward to belting it out then screaming a big 'Go Sainters' at the end but after the pathetic musical tricks they tried to play the whole mood seemed a bit subdued...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Worst national anthem in the history the Grand Final?

jmac101 wrote:Anyone else disappointed with those two muppets butchering the national anthem yesterday?

I was looking forward to belting it out then screaming a big 'Go Sainters' at the end but after the pathetic musical tricks they tried to play the whole mood seemed a bit subdued...
Yep.

Actually, didn't hear clearly most of the pre match entertainment. The speakers at the Saints CS end of the ground leave a lot to be desired......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintDal
Club Player

Not something the players would want to listen to going into the game. Nearly put me to sleep.

saint1974
Club Player

jmac101 wrote:Anyone else disappointed with those two muppets butchering the national anthem yesterday?

+1
And whoever tried to sing our club song....pathetic!
The whole prematch everything was poor!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saint1974 wrote:

+1
And whoever tried to sing our club song....pathetic!
The whole prematch everything was poor!
She sounded OK on the TV on the replay. However, at the ground, she was drowned out by the Saints singing the song in the CS end of the ground. The entire M3 and surrounding bays drowned her out. Sensational effort!

PS: Sining the Saints song through the Pies song was pretty good as well..... :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Yes.

This with a topic of conversation at half time.

FFS just sing it how its meant to be sung. How it should be, like it shoud be.

and IMHO the women who 'jazzed' up Oh When The Saints Go Marchin In.. terrible also..

but I did very much enjoy Inxs .. JD Fortune is a little bit of eye candy.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Last year's entertainment was infintely better than this year's.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
howlinwolf
Club Player

I thought INXS were bloody awful.
The sound system didn't help. Horrible bass distortion.

The best music for the day was just before the game when Kashmir by Led Zep was played !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
golden hawk
Club Player

yes did not like the way they sung it at all

your friendly neighbourhood hawk
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Woeful. They should stick to the Julie Anthony record and leave it at that, or get a couple of kids to sing it; they don't feel any need to be "artistic" about it.

Fortunately, I was able to miss the rest of the pre-game noise fest.

AP Erebus
Club Player

I thought it was just about the best rendition I've heard in a long time.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't that it was sung badly, it's more people want to sing along, and it was unpredictable in it's melody.

I agree, just stick with Julie, purely because it's predictable and everyone know just when to let the roar out :)

Beej
Saintsational Legend

How pathetic was the way they brought in the cup?

Getting a hot air balloon off the ground and then getting Brad Hardie to abseil down with it?

GIVE ME STRENGTH!

They have one year to come up with ideas and that's what they give us?

FFS Why bother

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Hated it, Just as bad as last years national anthem with those 'girls' the Jersey Boys.

Seriously what is with the AFL, we want the powerful version that the 100,000 can sing out proudly.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

National Anthem was the best rendition I've ever heard and the Australian Symphony Orchestra doing the club songs was also great.

INXS were great twenty years ago. Michael is dead, they should not desecrate his memory with a reality show joke. Shame AFL shame.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Beej
Saintsational Legend

oops. wrong thread
Last edited by Beej on Sun 26 Sep 2010 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

afl dont care what we think... the only way theyll listen is by us turning off the tv changing the radio stations.. not going to gameso

but then who are we really hurting???? the footy clubs thats who....

noob
Club Player

I bet if it was a Sydney team playing they would try to get the best entertainment..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I bet if it was a Sydney team playing they would try to get the best entertainment..
Why?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
noob wrote:I bet if it was a Sydney team playing they would try to get the best entertainment..
Why?
Appeal to the theatre-going Sydney market

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
golden hawk
Club Player

SainterK wrote:It wasn't that it was sung badly, it's more people want to sing along, and it was unpredictable in it's melody.

I agree, just stick with Julie, purely because it's predictable and everyone know just when to let the roar out :)
that was my problem with it you could not follow it along cause they did different speeds

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Who WAS that singing the National Anthem?? Was it that McKenna duo from the US?..and if so what happened to them singing that footy song they wrote with Dennis Cometti. Im quite partial to that

Thought Paris Wells and the MSO were terrific. in M10 the sound was far better than it was for INXS and you could belt out the song (and we did!!) and still hear Paris, unlike every week at Etihad when if you sing it louder than a whisper you cant hear the recorded version

Less said about INXS the better....thought they just went through the motions and the staged "cheering crowd" in front of them was just embarassing

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
golden hawk
Club Player

usually players try to sing along i saw one or two try but i think they gave up i like seeing the players sing it it is a good thing

battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It wasn't that it was sung badly, it's more people want to sing along, and it was unpredictable in it's melody.

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure it was the father and son from Australia's Got Talent.

If anything, it was because they sung it with an acoustic backing that made it difficult to get into. The tape they normally play has a full orchestral backing, and the atmosphere (roar) is amazing as that concludes.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Who WAS that singing the National Anthem?? Was it that McKenna duo from the US?..and if so what happened to them singing that footy song they wrote with Dennis Cometti. Im quite partial to that

Thought Paris Wells and the MSO were terrific. in M10 the sound was far better than it was for INXS and you could belt out the song (and we did!!) and still hear Paris, unlike every week at Etihad when if you sing it louder than a whisper you cant hear the recorded version

Less said about INXS the better....thought they just went through the motions and the staged "cheering crowd" in front of them was just embarassing
Cross promotion, won channel 7's Australias got Talent.

The McKenna duo were going to sing 'Last man standing' while the winning team did a lap at the end.