Have we now lost our 'burning pain' edge?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Have we now lost our 'burning pain' edge?

One of the major advantages that many people cited going in to yesterday's game was that we would be desperate to atone for the pain of last year.

With Collingwood having blown a few chances yesterday, do they now feel as thought they need to redeem themselves, or are the feelings too dis-similar to warrant such a discussion?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Have we now lost our 'burning pain' edge?

dcstkfc wrote:are the feelings too dis-similar to warrant such a discussion?
this. we've had a year to stew on it. they'll have had just a few days. for them, the pain of feeling of "what might have been" is still fresh.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we would have lost that burning pain what so ever. In fact I think it would have intensified.

Lets be honest, Collingwood missed there chances and the game should have been almost over at half time. I think when the players and coaching staff review the game. That burning feeling would have come back stronger than ever with how close they came to losing another Grand Final.

I think they will be stronger for it, I really don't think they are going to let Collingwood get such a big lead again this Saturday.

That just my opinion thou.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I imagine the pain of letting a lead slip yet still drawing could not compare to the pain of flat-out losing a GF.

There's still next week for them. They didn't go through the finality of a GF loss. That's it. Game over. All that hard work for nothing. See you next year.

They couldn't even contemplate what that would feel like.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:I imagine the pain of letting a lead slip yet still drawing could not compare to the pain of flat-out losing a GF.

There's still next week for them. They didn't go through the finality of a GF loss. That's it. Game over. All that hard work for nothing. See you next year.

Yeah it wouldn't even compare.

This game is only half way through.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
georgie girl
Club Player

They say that fear is the biggest motivator! I think the scare that we got on Saturday - so close to a repeat of last year, should hopefully motivate them even more!!!
Hopefully so much so, that we not only win but have a big win! I don't think I can cope with another stressful game!!

saint3d
Club Player

Beej wrote:I imagine the pain of letting a lead slip yet still drawing could not compare to the pain of flat-out losing a GF.

Every word of this post is exactly right.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I think because we were the ones that came back at them too, it would still be burning deep in our boys for that win.
Its not like we lead all game for them to come back at us in the last quarter. Our boys fought and never gave up to get there.

They had a taste, even for a moment and they will be desperate for that again.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Q5
Club Player

georgie girl wrote:They say that fear is the biggest motivator! I think the scare that we got on Saturday - so close to a repeat of last year, should hopefully motivate them even more!!!
Hopefully so much so, that we not only win but have a big win! I don't think I can cope with another stressful game!!
This is my thought too - and think we have more of a positive psychological edge going into next week. Pies have been pumping up their own tyres all season and we have pricked them - the air is now leaking out! :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Q5 wrote:
georgie girl wrote:They say that fear is the biggest motivator! I think the scare that we got on Saturday - so close to a repeat of last year, should hopefully motivate them even more!!!
This is my thought too - and think we have more of a positive psychological edge going into next week. Pies have been pumping up their own tyres all season and we have pricked them - the air is now leaking out! :wink:
And I don't think Maxwell's comments that they would have lost in extra time, or the media jumping off them (Matthews, Richo & Robbo on Game Day yesterday for example) is gonna make them feel any more positive.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I really thought that Maxwell looked churlish - as if he was "robbed" much like Bomber after the Geelong game - I had to have a laugh.
I thought there was a hidden message - he believed that they would have had a chance if it went another 10 minutes (something he conceded on Sunday was probably incorrect) but he did not want to go another round with the Saints; not a whole game. I just felt that there was some psychological damage that we had done to them in the second half - especially with us having clearly the best two players.
Hopefully this optimism that we brought out of the game will have us jumping at them from the first bounce next week - and grind them into the dirt.
After the game and yesterday all the Saints people I spoke to were truly pleased with our effort to come back and get the draw. Collingwood are thinking about all their lost opportunities - will they get them again at all? Will they nail them this week if they do? What will they do if the Saints pile on the tackles and aggro from the first bounce - having shown what I believe to be better star quality and more guts than them.
Look at it this way too - do you think Collingwood could have come back from 4 goals down? Not me!
I also think it was one of the best games of all time - and most impartial commentators do too - but Collingwood supporters do not.
There is a message in all of this and the message is: BEWARE OF THE SAINTS.
GO SAINTS!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Thomas
Club Player

It is still unfinished buisness that have been posponed one extra week, it is actually burning deeper now that the numbness is slowly dissipating.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.