Am I the only one fed up with 1/2 a forward line?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Am I the only one fed up with 1/2 a forward line?

It's all back to front...

Back in my day...and quite close to the present for St Kilda, forwards were on the ground to kick goals...terrorize the opposition backline, put the opposition under extreme scoreboard pressure...kick a winning score....

Now we have 1/3 of the forward line purely to defend....with little or no attacking potency...EDDY and MCQUALTER....their defending was not good enough in the GF but their attack was worse (OK...Eddy had a busted arm, I know...he does have plenty of courage), but their scoreboard output is woeful. WASTE!

1/6 of the current forward line is a complete waste of both attack and defense in the big games. KOSI just cannot cut it any more up forward...and it is 2nd ruck or the seconds for him. WASTE!

ROO is triple teamed because there are no other tall, damaging, marking forwards to distract the opposition.

SCHNEIDER and MILNE are brilliant but sporadic...but would surely do a much better job with two other key attacking forwards(other than Roo) up there...

Oh for a HAMILL and a GEHRIG in out team today.

Saints forwards 2011 must be more potently attacking first, and then worry about defence when they do not have the pill.

Let the opposition defenders anxiously defend against our goal kicking forwards

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Am I the only one fed up with 1/2 a forward line?

Agree with all of that

degruch
Saintsational Legend

There was certainly the capability to kick bags up there, as we did it a couple times this year...but I can see your point too. By the end of the year it was way to defensive, to counter teams like the Cats, Dogs and Pies.

I'm thinking 2011 we will see more of Steven up there, as an alternative to Eddy, additionally Gilbert has looked too good not to consider, so long as we can pinch someone like Paul Hudson to teach him how to kick. If Luke Miles comes up next year, he may be the guy to release Gilbert.

Add to that, Stanley and Lynch...we'd expect to see them up there.

Who knows where Walsh might pop up? There's certainly some work to do up front, but it's an area we weren't ready to develop this year, and one I can see the most likely improvement.

Apples
Club Player

Could'nt agree more, much too defensive particularly in the first quarter, 4/6 forward line with 2 players there as purely defensive options.
This allowed the Woods to double team Reiwoldt. Eddy was supposed to pick up Maxwell as a defensive forward but allowed him far too much room. Kosi is a shadow of his former self, there is no urgency in his game and I'm not sure what his future is. We need to get a better balance between defence and attack if we are to go one better.

Superboot
SS Life Member

If we can get Raph fit, and with Jimmy Gwilt stepping up to become an excellent defender, it would allow Gilbert to be released to play forward.

Just wish he could kick straight.

saintlee
Club Player

Agree, our lack of firepower up forward is a big problem. Add to that our present forwards are not reliable.....needs a makeover.

FQF
SS Life Member

The bottom line is: We need a Full Forward.

We need a player who is comfortable in occupying that 0-40 metre area from the goal and being a damaging presence.

Jack Riewoldt would be the perfect example.

Barry Hall would do the job too.

Fevola - leaving aside all his bullsh.t - is the ideal player to play alongside Riewoldt.

As well as our desperate need for a Full Forward, that medium sized forward would be handy aswell.

Melbourne are bursting with them:

Dunn Bate Green Pettard Watts Jurrah

A player in that mould would be ideal.

At best, Kosi is just a body, and not much else.

If these two gaping holes were filled it would have several effects on the team balance:

1. Riewoldt would not be easily double teamed since we have two other lead up forwards.

2. We are versatile and backlines would have to change to fit us.

3. The need for Mcqualter or Eddy in the forward line disappears, because the running defenders will be more worried about leaving alone genuine forwards.

4. We are not one dimensional and can kick winning scores.

5. Often the mid sized forward has the ability to play bursts in the midfield and as big body as well as a tackling force in our F50. This gives more versatility as well.

Solutions

Trading for these players would be the obvious ones. I don't know if there are any genuine Full Forwards out on the trade market though. Melbourne might feel alright about trading one of their many mid-sized forwards if we offer them something quality in return.

Coming from within our list. I can see Walsh fitting that Full Forward role. He has the size and versatility and who knows what another preseason will do for him. He looms as an exciting prospect.

The mid sized could be Lynch or Heyne, but as of now, neither of them have proved anything. Gilbert could be that player too, but I think he is too valuable in the backline (even with the return of Clarke).

Some say Stanley can play the role because he is so quick. This is true, if he can develop into a goal kicker. Would be almost impossible to match up on, that's forsure.

But I don't think Stanley can play the Full Forward role. In the long run, he is in the mould of a CHF.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The bottom line is: We need a Full Forward.

We need a player who is comfortable in occupying that 0-40 metre area from the goal and being a damaging presence.

Jack Riewoldt would be the perfect example.

Barry Hall would do the job too.

Fevola - leaving aside all his bullsh.t - is the ideal player to play alongside Riewoldt.

As well as our desperate need for a Full Forward, that medium sized forward would be handy aswell.

Melbourne are bursting with them:

Dunn Bate Green Pettard Watts Jurrah

A player in that mould would be ideal.

At best, Kosi is just a body, and not much else.

If these two gaping holes were filled it would have several effects on the team balance:

1. Riewoldt would not be easily double teamed since we have two other lead up forwards.

2. We are versatile and backlines would have to change to fit us.

3. The need for Mcqualter or Eddy in the forward line disappears, because the running defenders will be more worried about leaving alone genuine forwards.

4. We are not one dimensional and can kick winning scores.

5. Often the mid sized forward has the ability to play bursts in the midfield and as big body as well as a tackling force in our F50. This gives more versatility as well.

Solutions

Trading for these players would be the obvious ones. I don't know if there are any genuine Full Forwards out on the trade market though. Melbourne might feel alright about trading one of their many mid-sized forwards if we offer them something quality in return.

Coming from within our list. I can see Walsh fitting that Full Forward role. He has the size and versatility and who knows what another preseason will do for him. He looms as an exciting prospect.

The mid sized could be Lynch or Heyne, but as of now, neither of them have proved anything. Gilbert could be that player too, but I think he is too valuable in the backline (even with the return of Clarke).

Some say Stanley can play the role because he is so quick. This is true, if he can develop into a goal kicker. Would be almost impossible to match up on, that's forsure.

But I don't think Stanley can play the Full Forward role. In the long run, he is in the mould of a CHF.
A new Full Forward won't help much unless we can get some supply up to him.

Collingwood & Geelong have gone with blokes who kick their one, two or three goals a match. The Bulldogs, Tiges & Lions with their gun FFs fell short.

Kosi may be disappointing to a lot of supporters but he's not gonna turn any games when there's a lack of forward entries, coupled with suspect passing skills.

Saturday's game, to my eyes, was lost in the middle.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Saturday's game, to my eyes, was lost in the middle.
Saturday's game was won by the team playing bold, adventurous football all over the ground and lost by a team that is increasingly unable to apply scoreboard pressure.

We simply do not kick enough goals.

I love Ross as a coach, but he needs to address this ... and I'm sure he will.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We have this guy called Brendan Goddard who does pretty well when he goes forward,

Although he spends more time sweeping out of defence, you'd think that opposition sides would be pretty worried about him starting in the goal square. I mean the guy is the ultimate modern day AFL player. He kicked 3 goals in about 1 quarter of time spent forward over the 2 GF's, and has kicked a bag in a quarter before

forwardline
MILNE GODDARD STEVEN
GILBERT(def) RIEWOLDT SCHNIEDER

I think any forward defensive players still need to be attacking players, like gilbert and steven, they must kick goals (or try) or no-one respects them - MCQ, EDDY.

repta
Club Player

The Saints problem comes from their backline. They need to compensate (for whatever reason) and therefore get drawn into the flood too often. The Saints look good on the "fast break". Realistically this 'fast break' occurs when they dont get dragged to far up the ground and hold their positions. Schnieder is a main offender. He appears to do well, but picking up possessions in the back pocket are completely useless when the opposition are playing a man in front of Riewaldt. Someone (eg forward pockets) needs to hold their position up the ground and not get sucked into the defensive 50.

noob
Club Player

At of the whole list we only have 3 (Riewoldt, Schneider, Milne) as our forwards. They are the only 3 that have kicked goals consistently. Imagine if all those 3 wern't playing.. we'd barely score 6 goals a match

starsign
Club Player

yep it's a big need
And not necessarily a FF we need but another go-to marking target that can kick accurately defend fiercely as well ..... Oh for a Sammy Hamil!
mcQualter I could justify I guess but with Eddy down there Maxwell and the Pies were laughing their sox off in regard to applying that extra pressure on the Roo!
Critical tactical error for mine!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Before I get laughed at what about John myheadssolargeithurts Anthony.

He is a beautiful kick on goal and would be a delisted free agent. Getting him defensively minded could be a handy freebie.

Anyone...hello...

Sainterman
Club Player

I am more fed up with the delivery into the forward line than the forward line itself.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Have a look at the top 50 goal kickers in the comp, and see how many of Collingwood's midfielders are towards the top....

Is our forwardline so bad, or are our mids just still really conservative?

Midfielders goals, I was talking about this at the end of 2009.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

To answer the question in the heading quickly, no.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Before I get laughed at what about John myheadssolargeithurts Anthony.

He is a beautiful kick on goal and would be a delisted free agent. Getting him defensively minded could be a handy freebie.

Anyone...hello...
From rumours flying around from around last Christmas, I can't see this happening.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."