Goddard - our version of Jack Riewoldt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kilda
Club Player

Goddard - our version of Jack Riewoldt?

All this talk of Kosi and where he is best suited, got me thinking of BJ. Why not play him predominantly at FF? He could easily become our version of Jack Riewoldt. He's got all the attributes that Jack has and probably more. He's quick, got brute strength, a great leap, good pair of hands and with super peripheral vision. He's also probably our most reliable kick in front of goal. BJ has now become the great utility player of the AFL but having him play out of the goal square could be a really offensive weapon.

Calais
Club Player

Re: Goddard - our version of Jack Riewoldt?

As good as it would be we would lose him around the ground
25 quality touches a game > 3-4 goals a game.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Would need to look at Goddards score involvements I guess, and weigh up if we'd lose to much around the ground.

I'd like to see him midfield, pushing forward...our midfielders hardly kick any goals.

FQF
SS Life Member

This Goddard to Full Forward topic is getting damn boring.

The entire idea is split into two schools of thought.

1. Goddard would be an excellent full forward and could kick 80 goals a year as a permanent full forward. He has a beautiful kick at goals and a great contested mark. This would also help out Riewoldt's performance.

2. Goddard is far too valuable playing around the ground and delivering the ball into the forward line because his field kicking is so precise. Yes, he would be a good Full Forward, but he probably sets up more goals through the mid than he would kick in the forward line. Riewoldt is better off having the ball delivered by Goddard rather than him playing up forward together.

That is all there is to it, and we know what the coach thinks.

Move on...?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We could have had Jack Riewoldt as our Jack Riewoldt! All those who keep banging on about taking Ball over Judd (which, with the benefit of hindsight, was a bad call, but was a close call at the time should remember this one ad well.

Like his cousin, Jack already had "future champion" written all over him in 2006. It was no secret.

I'm a big fan of Bevo, but it wasn't his finest hour.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:We could have had Jack Riewoldt as our Jack Riewoldt! All those who keep banging on about taking Ball over Judd (which, with the benefit of hindsight, was a bad call, but was a close call at the time should remember this one ad well.

Like his cousin, Jack already had "future champion" written all over him in 2006. It was no secret.

So you know what was decided in the discussions that took place back then?
Please let us in on it.

You know for a fact that he wasn't instructed to take the best 'mid' available at our pick, rather than a key forward?

Given that we had:-
G-Train,
Hammill,
Kosi,
Roo
running around on the park,
as well as Watts in the recovery room,
you think that without the benefit of hindsight they should have taken a KPP instead of a mid with our first pick?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

If we are to compare BJ with other players then I would suggest that he a similar player to Koutafidis, with better kicking skills !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

FQF
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:If we are to compare BJ with other players then I would suggest that he a similar player to Koutafidis, with better kicking skills !!
Goddard is similar to Pavlich Goodes Kouta (and in the future probably Mundy) as these players were/are all versatile enough to be brilliant in both forward, midfield and back.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm a fan of this idea too,
It's worth a try at any rate…
This year we were flogged by the most attacking sides Carlton, Ess and Collingwood. We need to find ways to kick bigger scores and focus less on restricting our opponents.
Our current forward line structure has only 3 dangerous forwards Roo, Milne and Schneider - I mean who's going to worry about Kosi, McQ and Eddy?
The structure of our backline is so much better these days and if it was bolstered by Clarke, Miles and Geary, I think it would give us the ability to play more GOOD players forward. We'd probably leak a few more goals, but we'd definitely kick more and really give put fear into the opposition backlines.
As it stands, most sides will beat us if they kick more than 12 goals (3/qtr)

Anyway you look at it, we need to trial a few things. If all else fails - we can go back to winning dour games kicking only 10 goals again.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I'd give this a go when he is 32-33 years old, a bit slow for the back line and midfield, and we want a couple more seasons out of him.

For now, in his prime, with the damage he does from the back line and mid field with his superb kicking off both left and right feet, no way in hell!

They walk amongst us...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:We could have had Jack Riewoldt as our Jack Riewoldt! All those who keep banging on about taking Ball over Judd (which, with the benefit of hindsight, was a bad call, but was a close call at the time should remember this one ad well.

No he didn't.

Jack played senior footy for Tassie as an 18 year old but was thought to be a bit undersized and would possibly be a decent 3rd forward.

Future champion gets thrown at a lot of juniors but Jack was never one of the 'can't misses' out of his draft. That's why he lasted until late in the 1st round.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... most of us leading into that draft wanted a quick young midfielder & Jack was only mentioned by some as a possibility because he was Nick's cousin (much like people were talking up taking Kallen Geary).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Eastern wrote:If we are to compare BJ with other players then I would suggest that he a similar player to Koutafidis, with better kicking skills !!
Goddard is similar to Pavlich Goodes Kouta (and in the future probably Mundy) as these players were/are all versatile enough to be brilliant in both forward, midfield and back.
+ 1. goddard is a very rare player like those mentioned above that can play where the coach needs him/feels he can maximise him at the time depending on the way the game is being played and the opposition.
hes a freak.

everyone always think a 100 goal FF is going to solve your problems. if we had plugger and jason dunstall on saturday it would not have changed a thing. we were smashed across midfields, clearances, ball carrying and disposal efficiency. a 100 goal fwd would have just been an expensive spectator.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:I'd give this a go when he is 32-33 years old, a bit slow for the back line and midfield, and we want a couple more seasons out of him.

For now, in his prime, with the damage he does from the back line and mid field with his superb kicking off both left and right feet, no way in hell!
I'd just rather have him damaging the scoreboard, rather than kicking beautiful passes to Roo 60 from goal. We have Fisher, Gram and Gwilt who are nice kicks from the B/L, a couple more would be handy - Raph and Miles?
We are currently falling apart across half-forward despite having the best forward in the game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I thought about it but we need another couple of him elsewhere. I would definitely use him forward for bursts next season but he would really leave us short elsewhere. If we start to go all out attack with a new game plan, it might be on the cards.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:We could have had Jack Riewoldt as our Jack Riewoldt!

THIS!

WHY didn't we take Jack Riewoldt, it was an obvious call to me at the time!

Who was responsible?

I'm not sure you can blame Beveridge, he's not responsible for all of the recruiting decisions!

Who stuffed up this time!

FAIR DINKUM!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: So you know what was decided in the discussions that took place back then?
Please let us in on it.

You know for a fact that he wasn't instructed to take the best 'mid' available at our pick, rather than a key forward?

G-Train,
Hammill,
Kosi,
Roo
you think that without the benefit of hindsight they should have taken a KPP instead of a mid with our first pick?

Well if that's how the list was assessed and why Jack Riewoldt was not selected, then heads should roll!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

chris judd, rob murphy, jack riewoldt - worrying about previous drafts is no good…
after all, we weren't the only ones

Carlton
Essendon
Kangaroos
Brisbane Lions
Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong
Collingwood - twice
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
they all overlooked him, so he obviously wasn't rated highly back then

you win some, you lose some
sam fisher - 55
leigh montagna - 37
sam gilbert - 33
adam schneider - 26

bozza1980
Club Player

dragit wrote:chris judd, rob murphy, jack riewoldt - worrying about previous drafts is no good…
after all, we weren't the only ones

Carlton
Essendon
Kangaroos
Brisbane Lions
Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong
Collingwood - twice
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
they all overlooked him, so he obviously wasn't rated highly back then

you win some, you lose some
sam fisher - 55
leigh montagna - 37
sam gilbert - 33
adam schneider - 26
Beat me to it.

He was picked behind Scott Gumbleton so he wasn't even considered the best tall forward option in the draft let alone a lay down misere to be a champion of the game.

A decision made in hindsight has a lot better chance of being correct, but you are applying information and assumptions that were not available at the time.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Anthony Harvey, Brett Voss, Nathan Ablett…

Famous names… Ordinary footballers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Anthony Harvey, Brett Voss, Nathan Ablett…

Very harsh on Brett Voss.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Anthony Harvey, Brett Voss, Nathan Ablett…

Very harsh on Brett Voss.
170 AFL games says you are probably right,
I loved him, but mainly cause he was a saint,
He was a bit of a battler' though,
His brother of course, was one of the greats of all time

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: So you know what was decided in the discussions that took place back then?
Please let us in on it.

G-Train,
Hammill,
Kosi,
Roo

Well if that's how the list was assessed and why Jack Riewoldt was not selected, then heads should roll!
Well Barks, I'm honest enough to admit that I don't have any inkling as to what was/wasn't discussed by the List Management people at the time.
And given that MB has chosen not to respond, I'm pretty certain he doesn't either.
The point I was making is that why would you 'lay the blame' at Beveridge's feet (in hindsight) when you don't know what transpired.
It may have been his choice, it may not.

But once again, with little/no knowledge on what actually transpired, a poster has levelled an accusation without merit (IMO).

Unfortunately there's been far too much of that these last few days.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

Why did the other Clubs pass on him too then?

Apart from you, I think few others would have had Jack turning out as well as he has.

My recollections was that jack was taken about where he was rated...some had him earlier...some later. some on this forum where keen on him.

I do no recall him be labeled as a future champion though.

However I do agree in that I think Bevo stayed on a few years too long.

Not sure you could genuinely label this a Bevo mistake that other recruiters would not have made, for the next several recruiters did not grab him either.

The Howard selection...now there was a mistake.

But Armo was a pretty fair and reasonable pick even if he does not work out.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 06 Oct 2010 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Why did the other Clubs pass on him too then?

Apart from you, I think few others would have had Jack turning out as well as he has.

My recollections was that jack was taken about where he was rated...some had him earlier...some later. some on this forum where keen on him.

I do no recall him be labelled as a future champion though.

However I do agree in that I think Bevo stayed on a few years too long. Not sure you could genuinely lable this a Bevo mistake that other recruiters would not have made, gfor the next several recruiters did not grab him either.
Totally agree. A guy who was drafted by melbourne the year before and played with jack at Clarance said he was a good mark but was very slow. He said he doubted he would make it which he was obviously wrong but I think it proved most didnt rate him a future champion.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Fair comment by MM, P66 and others.

I recognise that, in October 2006, we still would have felt that Watts was a chance to come good and that Hamill and Gehrig had a fair bit more to offer. None of this turned out to be right, but we weren't to know back then.

I'm also sure that Bevo was instructed by someone (not quite sure who: Bundy? Archie?) to go after a quality midfielder.

I recognise that reports on Jack Riewoldt in Melbourne in 2006 weren't all that glowing, but I can assure you that down here in Tassie it was strongly believed by most people in the AFL world that (bar injury or an attitude problem) he had what it takes to make it big time. And the Tassie folks proved to be right.

I also understand that there was a strong expectation round the traps that he would want to come to the Saints and that we would want him. Clearly that was wrong.

Anyway, we didn't take him then, and boy could we have used him on Saturday. Still, Stanley might develop into a good forward target, and he's certainly must faster than Jack Riewoldt.

I also accept that drafting is not an exact science and that it's unfair to criticise clubs on the basis of hindsight for having chosen one player over another.

But I have also read literally thousands of posts whingeing about all sorts of drafting decisions made in the GT/Bevo era, when apparently all the decisions that turned out bad;u were all GT's fault and all the decisions that turned out well were someone else's responsibility. Including quite a few in the last few days vis-a-vis Ball and Judd. And yet I still think that missing out on Jack Riewoldt will probably turn out to be our biggest lost opportunity of the last decade.

But it's all spilt milk now.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift