Why Am I A Sainter For Life??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Maxstar22
Club Player

Why Am I A Sainter For Life??

A Dees supporter asked me on the weekend why I loved the Saints, how I kept coming back year after year, heartbreak after heartbreak.....

I actually found it really hard to put my love and passion into real words. All I managed to say with some sense of intelligence was "I am a Sainter For Life".

So why are we Sainters For Life? Why do you keep coming back? Why do we love this Club so bloody much?

PS - Please don't let this thread turn into the usual slanging, negative nelly crapola :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

did you ask them the same question?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Maxstar22
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:did you ask them the same question?
I did. He seemed to think that us Sainters are a "special breed" though.

The analogy of a beaten dog was used. No matter how badly you treat them, they keep coming back and still love you.

Q5
Club Player

Funny Maxstar - I feel the same way as you! As a 3rd generation supporter, all I can say is that it's in the blood. It's like family - you pretty much support them no matter what! And given pretty much my whole extended family supports them, it also becomes a family thing - a common ground, something we can all share when we get together, the good and the bad!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I've been a Saints supporter all of my 50 years.....My old man was a Saints supporter...the rest of the family is Geelong.....

i'm still patiently waiting for a flag......i'm over watching all these other supporters enjoy success whilst StKilda turns relative failure into an art form....

I'm tipping i could be in for an even longer wait........unfortunately...

Not sure what will happen first for me...a Saints flag or a pine box..... :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
asaint
Club Player

I don't bloody know. I just know that when the team runs out,I am overcome with how much I love the club. It's in the family,has been for generations. It's been 30 days since GF2 and I find myself staring at my poster of Lenny Hayes,from GF1,and feel totally despondent. I want a cup so bad it makes me sick. However long it takes,I am stuck with this club forever. In the end it probably comes down to all the brainwashing I had as a kid , which I now inflict on my own.

asaint
Club Player

"there is always next year" is right up there with "it's only a game" Both make me want to scream!!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As another 3rd generation supporter, I just love the club, know that a St.Kilda premiership will be the most emotionally draining moment of my life.
Or as I am a 3rd Generation supporter there is a defective gene in my families DNA.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
St Lenny
Club Player

asaint wrote:"there is always next year" is right up there with "it's only a game" Both make me want to scream!!!
Oh, how I hate those 2 expressions. :evil:

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

My dad loved the saints And took me from the time was 7 years old. We both never missed a game for over 15 years through the really dark 70's and 80's. Saturdays were my favorite days. I loved spending those hours with my dad. He's passed on now, but he instilled the love of the club in me and I, in return, have passed it not to my boys. The saints are like family to me. I will be a sainter for life

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Tell that DEES supporter to go suck on a sauce bottle...

DEES are worse than the Filth and the Scum put together.
They cheated for three years, deliberately losing winnable games to get good draft picks.
They have the most boring coach in history.
They are arrogant, with no reason to be.

Now all the DEES supporters are coming out of the woodwork, their moustaches bristling with the prospect of numerous wins at 'OUR GROUND'...the MCG.

I can't wait to see how easy these b%st%rds find it to lose finals...ideally, some sort of Buckenara 1987 scenario would be good.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I guess most of my pals are aware of how I became a "Sainter for life". As a newcomer to the country, I found the friendship of a good man (who happened to be a Saints man) helped me through a difficult stage in my life. Les was a tiny wee man but with the heart of a lion, and each monday morning (usually after the Saints had been beaten again) he would get all the cracks and jibes thrown at him from the fans of other clubs (armchair supporters for the most part!) and simply smile and say "I'll be there NEXT week too!" I NEVER saw him lower the colours, not ONCE! When Les passed away I decided to pick up the baton and be the Saints man on the shop floor. I know enough about the trials and tribulations of following a club no matter what (I had to be an Evertonian in Liverpool during the seventies and eighties :roll: ) As a newcomer to the city I could have picked any side I wanted to barrack for when I arrived. I think that fate decided that my team would be the Saints; I have never, NOT ONCE ever regretted putting in my lot with this club!
Could I ever change? There's more chance of me becoming 21 again!!!
Love to all (good OP by the way!)
Dave (ready to rock in 2011!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I guess most of my pals are aware of how I became a "Sainter for life". As a newcomer to the country, I found the friendship of a good man (who happened to be a Saints man) helped me through a difficult stage in my life. Les was a tiny wee man but with the heart of a lion, and each monday morning (usually after the Saints had been beaten again) he would get all the cracks and jibes thrown at him from the fans of other clubs (armchair supporters for the most part!) and simply smile and say "I'll be there NEXT week too!" I NEVER saw him lower the colours, not ONCE! When Les passed away I decided to pick up the baton and be the Saints man on the shop floor. I know enough about the trials and tribulations of following a club no matter what (I had to be an Evertonian in Liverpool during the seventies and eighties :roll: ) As a newcomer to the city I could have picked any side I wanted to barrack for when I arrived. I think that fate decided that my team would be the Saints; I have never, NOT ONCE ever regretted putting in my lot with this club!
Could I ever change? There's more chance of me becoming 21 again!!!
Love to all (good OP by the way!)
Dave (ready to rock in 2011!)
Very well said jiggster :D