I choose integrity!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I choose integrity!

There are some posters on here who, in light of the Bomber Thompson defection to Essendon, have declared that "if it wins a flag any tactic is justified" Well Folks, I'm a wee bit old fashioned but I want not a bar of ANY flag that has been won by anything other than by HONEST ENDEAVOUR!
As the prophet said "what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but suffers the loss of his own soul?"
If we can't win the damn thing fair and square then I dont want it!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: I choose integrity!

thejiggingsaint wrote:There are some posters on here who, in light of the Bomber Thompson defection to Essendon, have declared that "if it wins a flag any tactic is justified" Well Folks, I'm a wee bit old fashioned but I want not a bar of ANY flag that has been won by anything other than by HONEST ENDEAVOUR!
As the prophet said "what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but suffers the loss of his own soul?"
If we can't win the damn thing fair and square then I dont want it!!!!!!
I don't think you need to worry about us winning "it".....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I choose winning it anyway we can as long as it is legel in the AFL"S eyes. Anyway who says we always take the high and mighty ground. If the siren rings and we are in front in the GF I would get no lesser satifaction if we had done as the Dons had done.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I choose winning it anyway we can as long as it is legel in the AFL"S eyes.
Integrity and the AFL. Interesting concept.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I choose winning it anyway we can as long as it is legel in the AFL"S eyes.
Integrity and the AFL. Interesting concept.
Legal before or after the event? :)

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Re: I choose integrity!

bobmurray wrote:
I don't think you need to worry about us winning "it".....
True that :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The afl has no integrity so why expect the clubs to have it. Malthouse and his recruiters have systematically stretched the boundries of the rules. And the interchange, TV coverage and scheduling of games show the AFL are not that interested in keeping the integrity of the game.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to win a flag through a lack of integrity.

But I don't want to lose one through too much integrity either!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The afl has no integrity so why expect the clubs to have it. Malthouse and his recruiters have systematically stretched the boundries of the rules. And the interchange, TV coverage and scheduling of games show the AFL are not that interested in keeping the integrity of the game.
Yes it was much better when clubs were going broke and the AFL were trying to get rid of them. It was also much better back in ..... sorry it has never been better. My mistake.

older saint
SS Life Member

I don't think Essendon did anything worng. Their job for their supporters was to get the best available intheir eyes for the team. I would hope our club would do the same.

Bomber Thomspn the individual however has shown all and sundry the level of integrity and honesty he has. As has been revealed in the paper and i knew from late august the wheels have been in motion with this since late July. Just say i want to leave as i have done all i can, but to say i am tired ya ya ya shows the person he is.

Lots of leaks at essendon!

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

gringo wrote:The afl has no integrity so why expect the clubs to have it. Malthouse and his recruiters have systematically stretched the boundries of the rules. And the interchange, TV coverage and scheduling of games show the AFL are not that interested in keeping the integrity of the game.
Could not agree more. AFl getting ever closer to WWE into the level of how contrived their respective sports are.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Are you four years old?

OMG an organisation that makes money. Damn them and their unscrupulous profit motive.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Some interesting points made here. I addressed my original post to the issue of Hird, Thompson and Essendon and the manner in which they have conducted their business, and the response from some who say "who cares if it wins a flag?"
Its not a matter of "taking the high and mighty ground" Plugger, but of winning fair and square. (Only my personal opinion of course) I can well understand and sympathise with those who through years of bitter disappointment and frustration believe that "the end can justify any means" I believe that to conduct ourselves as Essendon and Thompson have done, and the way Carlton have done in the past to win glory, robs us of the true value of success.
I realise that the world is a much more cynical place now, and the old adage of "winners are grinners etc" holds sway. However, this should not deter us from TRYING to lift standards and win honestly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Some interesting points made here. I addressed my original post to the issue of Hird, Thompson and Essendon and the manner in which they have conducted their business, and the response from some who say "who caresif it wins a flag?"
Its not a matter of "taking the high and mighty ground" Plugger, but of winning fair and square. (Only my personal opinion of course) I can well understand and sympathise with those who through years of bitter disappointment and frustration believe that "the end can justify any means" I believe that to conduct ourselves as Essendon and Thompson have done, and the way Carlton have done in the past to win glory, robs us of the true value of success.
I realise that the world is a much more cynical place now, and the old adage of "winners are grinners etc" holds sway. However, this should not deter us from TRYING to lift standards and win honestly.
I actually dont see what Hird and Essendon have done wrong. MT should have probably been more honest but see as winning a flag is about the side and not individuals all Essendon have done is give themselves a better chance. I think we are living in fantasy land if we dont think has club has tried to do things that may help but are morally wrong. Well I certainly hope we have.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hi Plugger What have Hird and Essendon done wrong? Well mate, they were in discussions with the coach of another club (still under contract) during the season, and have acted in a deceitful and shabby manner.
In the same way that Hird "denied" taking on the coaching role at the Bombers...before taking on the coaching role at the Bombers!!
As I say, I'm a wee bit naive/old fashioned and I guess we agree to disagree on the issue.
regards

Dave

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hi Plugger What have Hird and Essendon done wrong? Well mate, they were in discussions with the coach of another club (still under contract) during the season, and have acted in a deceitful and shabby manner.
In the same way that Hird "denied" taking on the coaching role at the Bombers...before taking on the coaching role at the Bombers!!
As I say, I'm a wee bit naive/old fashioned and I guess we agree to disagree on the issue.
regards

Dave
Do you honestly think our club has never spoken to players and coaches when in contract with other clubs. I'd be 100% sure we have and if we havent we are not 100% trying to win a flag.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No I don't think our club has always been squeaky clean Plugger.
But this doesn't stop me from wanting them to act in a decent and moral manner. Which I don't believe Essendon and Thompson have.
Its all a matter of opinion of course!
have a good one

Dave

Rice Paper
Club Player

Non of us would have a club if we're talking about club integrity.

Paying your players, coaches & creditors 8c or 22c in a dollar for services rendered? We are the last club to talk about club integrity, when we short change club champions like Trevor Barker and Allan Jeans for all their input for the club.

Everyone should thank their lucky stars the competition is run by a true independant commission who can grow the game, therefore allowing clubs like St Kilda to survive.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hi Rice Paper! I don't think we disagree about the disgraceful behaviour of past club champions being short changed. Because a club has acted in that way in the past does not mean we should not have the opinion that we should be aiming to be better in the present.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

It's a game of inches and on the day of the drawn Grand Final we were playing a team with more inches:

Having the best facilities in the league (versus the worst) obviously gave them a few inches.

A ludicrously generous run of games at the Grand Final venue with the best surface in the league (as opposed to our punishing schedule on the worst). More inches.

A minimal number of games interstate (4) including none in the last 9(?) rounds. As opposed to 6 games interstate, including one in the last round. More inches. (And even more inches in 2011.)

Jolly and Ball declare they want to go to Collingwood (and only Collingwood) in the draft. The AFL looks the other way. More inches.

The MRP wipes out Steven Baker for a ludicrous nine games over trifling incidents. Simple system corruption. The nine weeks disrupts Baker's match fitness and very likely contributes to his indifferent form in the GFs. Another quarter-inch.

And maybe another quarter inch here: St Kilda is the first team in history forced to wear an ugly clash strip in a Grand Final. (And will probably remain the only club to do so -- can you imagine the AFL doing it to Carlton?) Ironically, we were playing one of two teams (Essendon being the other) that effectively doesn't have a clash strip. But the AFL didn't force them to get one.

And I'm sure you can come up with even more inches.

Bottom line: the game is corrupt, rewarding some clubs at the expense of others. In such an environment, integrity doesn't go very far and cheating is morally justifiable.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Bottom line: the game is corrupt, rewarding some clubs at the expense of others. In such an environment, integrity doesn't go very far and cheating is morally justifiable.
Agree.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hi Rice Paper! I don't think we disagree about the disgraceful behaviour of past club champions being short changed.
Love ya Dave, but that "disgraceful behaviour" as you put it, is the sole reason that the St Kilda Football Club still exists. The very fact that those people accepted the offer shows their selflessness: Strength Through Loyalty.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
asaint
Club Player

well said waltzing st kilda

I am sick of all the advantages C'wood are given. Tarrant is the next draft fixer,is this going to happen every year now? We may have integrity but we have no cup and I am sick of it. History wont show how it was the david vs goliath battle,just the result.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: well said waltzing st kilda

asaint wrote:I am sick of all the advantages C'wood are given. Tarrant is the next draft fixer,is this going to happen every year now? We may have integrity but we have no cup and I am sick of it. History wont show how it was the david vs goliath battle,just the result.
How is fantasy land going? Tarrent wanted to go back and he was given that chance. Bruce wants to go to Hawthorn and that will happen. Well done both sides whilest we try to win a flag through integrity which should be another name for excuse because would have done the same thing as both sides given the opportunity. We just happen to have not one cent left on our salary cap.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:It's a game of inches and on the day of the drawn Grand Final we were playing a team with more inches:

Having the best facilities in the league (versus the worst) obviously gave them a few inches.

A ludicrously generous run of games at the Grand Final venue with the best surface in the league (as opposed to our punishing schedule on the worst). More inches.

A minimal number of games interstate (4) including none in the last 9(?) rounds. As opposed to 6 games interstate, including one in the last round. More inches. (And even more inches in 2011.)

Jolly and Ball declare they want to go to Collingwood (and only Collingwood) in the draft. The AFL looks the other way. More inches.

The MRP wipes out Steven Baker for a ludicrous nine games over trifling incidents. Simple system corruption. The nine weeks disrupts Baker's match fitness and very likely contributes to his indifferent form in the GFs. Another quarter-inch.

And maybe another quarter inch here: St Kilda is the first team in history forced to wear an ugly clash strip in a Grand Final. (And will probably remain the only club to do so -- can you imagine the AFL doing it to Carlton?) Ironically, we were playing one of two teams (Essendon being the other) that effectively doesn't have a clash strip. But the AFL didn't force them to get one.

And I'm sure you can come up with even more inches.

Bottom line: the game is corrupt, rewarding some clubs at the expense of others. In such an environment, integrity doesn't go very far and cheating is morally justifiable.
Excellent post!

Carna Saints!!!