Rob Eddy - His view ( new Audio)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Rob Eddy - His view ( new Audio)

I know another thread But the others had gone a fair way of course and only contained questions

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 5953163892
St Kilda coach Ross Lyon told him in the days after the club's replay loss to Collingwood that he was not certain of getting a contract.

That confirmation came this week via a phone call from Lyon and football manager Greg Hutchison while he was stranded in Los Angeles due to the Qantas A380 groundings.

"You don't think you are going to get delisted after playing in a Grand Final, so obviously it was a bit of a shock," Eddy said.

"But Ross was good about it on the phone, he just said at this stage they needed to open up some spots.

"He wants to have a chat with me in person. I will do that in the next few days."

But you won't hear Eddy whinging about the decision, or making excuses for his lot, even though he probably has some cause.

That's not in his nature. Besides, Eddy says the fact he will carry a few permanent reminders of his time at St Kilda are simply a part of the game.
character shown on all sides.. no fan fare just realism

all the Best next week Rob.
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 17 Nov 2010 6:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
linz
Club Player

maybe fishlips could pick up some pointers!!

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nice work Rob, all class.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I didn't have Eddy in my best 22 but I acknowledge his guts and determination.

And as long as players give it their best shot I'll never bag them. It's not a player's fault if they get drafted and it's not their fault if they get selected.

Guys like Lovett - well that's a different situation altogether :evil:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rob Eddy - His view ( article)

saintbrat wrote:I know another thread But the others had gone a fair way of course and only contained questions

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon told him in the days after the club's replay loss to Collingwood that he was not certain of getting a contract.

That confirmation came this week via a phone call from Lyon and football manager Greg Hutchison while he was stranded in Los Angeles due to the Qantas A380 groundings.

"You don't think you are going to get delisted after playing in a Grand Final, so obviously it was a bit of a shock," Eddy said.

"But Ross was good about it on the phone, he just said at this stage they needed to open up some spots.

"He wants to have a chat with me in person. I will do that in the next few days."

But you won't hear Eddy whinging about the decision, or making excuses for his lot, even though he probably has some cause.

That's not in his nature. Besides, Eddy says the fact he will carry a few permanent reminders of his time at St Kilda are simply a part of the game.

Only see character from one side but if we win a flag who cares and that is fact IMO.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought he showed something late in the season. Kicked two or three at Etihad (against the Kangaroos I think) in a performance that impressed.

Then he copped an untimely injury

You certainly could never question his courage or commitment and he used to tackle like a maniac.

Bit sad if he's the sacrificial lamb for the grand final because there are others higher on the pecking order whose games were not outstanding either.

What may have counted against him is that we have a glut of players who can play those negative, defensive roles ... among them Baker, Dempster and McQualter.

Maybe the decision was made because he was seen to be keeping a Steven or Armo out of the side and we've decided to go in a more attacking direction.

Personally I'd have given him the chance to reinvent himself in another role. We're looking for a hard, tough in and under for example. But maybe he's not considered skilled enough?

Any chance we'll rookie him?
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 14 Nov 2010 12:28am, edited 3 times in total.

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

All class from Eddy. Good luck to the bloke seems like a really well grounded guy, hope he gets a chance at another club

SaintSimmo
Club Player

TBH I reckon we may still pick him up again as a rookie. I think we have delisted him to allow us the oppurtunity to have 6 draft picks, but if the players we are after are gone by our picks, we may re-draft him.

I hope we do....just seems strange to me how you could delist a player after he played in two grand finals.

Sainter for life.
St Lenny
Club Player

Well that just make me cranky. Top guy, I think others should have gone before him :evil:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:I know another thread But the others had gone a fair way of course and only contained questions

Only see character from one side but if we win a flag who cares and that is fact IMO.
care to elaborate plugger? Ross has a job to do. Not sure he could have done any more than what he did. If Eddy's o/s how else is he supposed to tell him?

I agree with saintbrat. All class shown by the young fella. Good luck with whetever he does with his future.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Swans

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's not in his nature. Besides, Eddy says the fact he will carry a few
permanent reminders of his time at St Kilda are simply a part of the game.

care to elaborate plugger? Ross has a job to do. Not sure he could have
done any more than what he did. If Eddy's o/s how else is he supposed to tell him?

I agree with saintbrat. All class shown by the young fella. Good luck with whetever he does with his future.
Given Eddy was o/s and that these decisions are time critical, there wasn't much else Ross could do. He's given some advance warning after the GF, spoken to him on the phone and offered to speak face to face upon his return. So I don't think his or the Saints integrity in conveying the decision can be questioned.

That shouldn't be confused with any question of integrity regarding the decision itself, i.e. delisting a player whose last 2 games were GFs. I was very surprised by it but that doesn't mean I think it was wrong. It's a personnel decision and every year there are hard luck stories. But no doubt some will see a lack of integrity or class associated with the delisting itself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

care to elaborate plugger? Ross has a job to do. Not sure he could have done any more than what he did. If Eddy's o/s how else is he supposed to tell him?

My point was it showed Eddy had class. That doesnt mean we were mean spirited or anything like that but I dont think the article shows the Saints had class as was suggested by a poster.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:My point was it showed Eddy had class. That doesnt mean we were mean spirited or anything like that but I dont think the article shows the Saints had class as was suggested by a poster.
I can't totally discount the possibility you're trying to stir things up a bit p66, nonetheless I do understand the point you're trying to make.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

you're only allowed a certain number of classy players on your list and under the cap albert :wink:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think the headline of the story says it all, "Robert Eddy wants one more crack". I am not giving the author credit for being witty, but the fact is he probably had one too many cracks.

Hand, Jaw, then Arm over a few months - maybe he is now on strict orders to drink $hit loads of milk over the next month or so and he might be re-rookied.

Top bloke, but for a kid with heaps of g&d and a lot less talent than others, he just might not get the same chances as a high draft pick would. From what he said, he is a big chance at re-rookie, but looks like we have our eyes on some kids at the lower end.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

g&d. guts and determination? :lol:

laughs to self on what other possibilities could be relating to the acronym

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy wants one more crack at the AFL.

well Eddy does have class...but given his injuries, I am not sure the Sun Sub-editor does.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 14 Nov 2010 12:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Why ????

Lyon has told him straight up and early on that his place was under review?

What would been of more character?

* Keeping him on the list despite the coach wanting to go in another direction? = no

* Not telling him at all that his place was under review, and just delisting him without notice? = no

Character to me is doing what you have to do, but doing it in a respectful manner. That is what seems to have been done here.

The club gave him an extended chance, and repeated chances, to shows his wears to grab a regular first 22 spot.

All the best to Eddy. You would think that the Suns might pick him up to add a mature body to their pool of young talent.

Zippy
Club Player

I really hope someone drafts him - I'd be happy if we redrafted him too.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
Legendary
Club Player

Ross Lyon wrote:at this stage they needed to open up some spots
In other words ... if you read between the lines ... we will rookie Eddy with our mature age rookie spot OR take him with the last pick in the draft.

Lyon wanted some flexibility - but I could still see him taking Eddy back onto the list.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
In other words ... if you read between the lines ... we will rookie Eddy with our mature age rookie spot OR take him with the last pick in the draft.

Lyon wanted some flexibility - but I could still see him taking Eddy back onto the list.
1/ At this stage could also mean that the Saints to win the flag in 2011 need to improve...and that big part of this could be by getting some of our younger more talented players to bloom (Steven, Armo, Stanley, Smith....and maybe Heyne, Lynch...)...and for them to play seniors someone, or someones cannot.

Looks like eddy is one of the someones.

2/ We are above the minimum number of players that the AFL demands the club delists...so I doubt Eddy has been delisted to be rookied, or redrafted.

Who knows he may be if all our desired targets are gone, but I think that they have others in mind and that we will see new blood.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 14 Nov 2010 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Legendary wrote:

1/ At this stage could also mean that the Saints to win the flag in 2011 need to improve...and that big part of this could be by getting some of our younger more talented players to bloom (Steven, Armo, Stanley, Smith....and maybe Heyne, Lynch...)

2/ We are above the minimum number of players that the AFL demands the club delists...so I doubt Eddy has been delisted to be rookied, or redrafted.

Who knows he may be if all our desired targets are gone, but I think that they have others in mind and that we will see new blood.
+1 for point 1 !!! I am hoping against hope this is exactly what Ross is thinking!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Wednesday, 10 November 2010
Brendon Goddard says delisted teammate Robert Eddy could get an opportunity elsewhere or be redrafted by St Kilda as a rookie.

"I feel bad for him but footy's a hard industry and it's probably something that I'm lucky I'm not a part of, being on a coaching panel and have to make those tough decisions," Goddard told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

"Rob might get an opportunity elsewhere and still might get an opportunity at the club as a rookie. He is well-respected around the footy club and is one of the hardest workers. He is in the top three in the running group. He didn't die wondering."

Apart from the explanation of "opening up the list" fans have no other information to understand the delisting. And thats what makes a few of us confused.
# top three runner at the club (isnt that exaclty what we are after?)
# Injured as he was still got a gig in the GFs(doesnt say much about our depth)
# after a huge slap in the face would he want to be "re-rookied"
# are we flying so close to the salary cap limit that we have to dump experience for cheaper kids?

Seeya
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We may intend to redraft him, but couldn't he be picked up by someone else who needs a bigger bodied type (like Essendon) before we have a chance to?