Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armitage

How the he'll has he only played 30odd games.....he is clearly afl standard, and some....he has the ability to be in our best 8 players, let alone 22.

He is clearly better than at least 6 mediums in last years finals teams....possibly more.....and he wasn't wasting his energy dominating the c
Vfl....he would be a 75 game mid now, ready to become a First choice....

Beyond me really.....

savatage
SS Life Member

If he can maintain consistency - he will get the games this year. He is ready.

ando051
Club Player

Hurt his knee mid last year which did not help his cause, he plays like lenny, but he did look good tonight, pulled up near the end with a sore leg.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hard to maintain consistency prior to 50 games....comes with the territory, but at least he shows (and has done since 08) that he can cut it, easily. He is a good footballer......a few I won't name are not as good....

savatage
SS Life Member

ando051 wrote:Hurt his knee mid last year which did not help his cause, he plays like lenny, but he did look good tonight, pulled up near the end with a sore leg.
Hopefully just a cramp.

savatage
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Hard to maintain consistency prior to 50 games....comes with the territory, but at least he shows (and has done since 08) that he can cut it, easily. He is a good footballer......a few I won't name are not as good....
Yes & no. I think he has shown big drop offs in the past & I don't think the boss has liked that - which I don't really have a problem with.

Last year, he could never get going because he kept getting injured.

I agree that he should've been in the team at the expense of a couple of blokes no doubt.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Let's keep everything in perspective. Yes a great game tonight. Was also best player in our first NAB cup game last year. I'll reserve judgement until we see that sort of game consistently.

savatage
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:Let's keep everything in perspective. Yes a great game tonight. Was also best player in our first NAB cup game last year. I'll reserve judgement until we see that sort of game consistently.
Correct weight.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How is a thirty something gamer supposed to be in the best 6 on the ground consistently....he isn't Lenny Hayes.....it took bj Goddard 5 years to get that consistency....

The fact that he can dominate games, means he can cut it....consistency comes with time....

And also I would look at his game time on low possession games......basically Ross barely used him unlesmsn he was spelling Lenny. Hard to get rhythm with a minute here and there....

The only real go at it he has got was against hawthorn....plenty of minutes translated into a bog.....how many bogs have some of our well known bottom 6 got

savatage
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:How is a thirty something gamer supposed to be in the best 6 on the ground consistently....he isn't Lenny Hayes.....it took bj Goddard 5 years to get that consistency....

The fact that he can dominate games, means he can cut it....consistency comes with time....

And also I would look at his game time on low possession games......basically Ross barely used him unlesmsn he was spelling Lenny. Hard to get rhythm with a minute here and there....

The only real go at it he has got was against hawthorn....plenty of minutes translated into a bog.....how many bogs have some of our well known bottom 6 got
You can argue the same things for Dean Polo too. BOG in his first game - but the fact remains, when given a few games in a row - he was up and down.

He has an opportunity now, he has to grab it.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm guessing he'll play. My thought is we'll be looking for more grunt in the middle this year and Armo will come in at the expense of Peake or Ray. We just got hammered too badly by Collingwood in the centre in the GFR not to do something about it.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Hurt himself right in front of me, pointing to left knee or quad when talking to the physio, and a soon as he did the physio pointed to the bench. Neither looked particularly impressed.

Really do hope it was just cramp, because he looks fit and strong and was finding the footy. Fingers crossed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, ball killed us out of the middle...we needed a player like him to support Lenny....ouch...

Perhaps armo....

No, we need a couple of negative hf's who have no impact...on the scoreboard or stopping their opponents or touching the pill...

No denying that they we a selection blunder....but

Anyways, that argument is done and dusted.....and clearly evident

chook23
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, ball killed us out of the middle...we needed a player like him to support Lenny....ouch...

Perhaps armo....

No, we need a couple of negative hf's who have no impact...on the scoreboard or stopping their opponents or touching the pill...

No denying that they we a selection blunder....but

Anyways, that argument is done and dusted.....and clearly evident
Armo was injured towards end of last season..

If he was fit and match hardened he may have been selected........not a selection blunder ..he was ruled out due injury/match fitness

saint4life
lefty
Club Player

Yea armo was pretty good.

Had a really good hard tackle on someone, should of got the free, instead the shitty umpired called play-on, and then it was a essendon free 1-2 seconds later, was not happy at that.

Definately need him playing in the midfield this year, can't afford not to win the contested ball. Not sure why Eddy played in the GF before him, very stiff.

Hope he's alright / not injured.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Needs to improve his kicking. Got the ball then let himself down with a fee waywards.
He will get better with some more games

saintnick12
Club Player

Herald sun have named him as second best in the second game
Not from where I was sitting.
Maybe I need to watch a replay :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
DWOODROW
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:Herald sun have named him as second best in the second game
Considering he was off for most of it :shock:

lefty
Club Player

Yea but you got to remember, he does the little hard things people don't remember, the hard tackles, the in and under work, that perfect pass into the forward line.

Yea his first two or so kicks were bad, but he just got better the more he played.

Love the way the guy plays tbh :)

saintnick12
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:
Hmm. Pulled up right in front of where I was sitting, but can't remember at what point in the game that was. Just surprised to see the herald sun have him as second best..

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
DWOODROW
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Hmm. Pulled up right in front of where I was sitting, but can't remember at what point in the game that was. Just surprised to see the herald sun have him as second best..
Injury wise he is alright. :!:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Phew, I am relieved if that's the case....think a lot of what Saints are about this year will require an Armo type in the middle.

savatage
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Great news, needs luck!

saintnick12
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Great news! We need him fit and firing

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't need luck, doesn't need karma, doesn't need injuries for those ahead of him - he just needs to get on with it.

He has been given opportunities beyond justification for a while now.

BUT, if the Boss believes, I believe. He's had the RTB apprenticeship. Progress is not all about freakish displays of talent early.

Armo still has a chance and I hope he takes it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021