IF THE BUSHRANGERS CAN DO IT....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

IF THE BUSHRANGERS CAN DO IT....

That is, win a title at their 5th attempt, after having lost the last 4 in a row, we can certainly win the flag this year, in spite of having not won 3 GF's in a row.
They showed what can be achieved with focus and determination and not giving in, even without many who were either injured, or on national duty and despite having performed very ordinarily in the other 2 forms of cricket this summer. They really wanted this one and they didn't stop till they got it. We need to follow their lead this year. No excuses, just win the thing.
If things get tough at any time this year we can draw inspiration from them. Not that we're likely to need it. :wink:

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
eppo67
Club Player

Was thinking exactly the same thing this morning when I heard that news. In fact I am more confident this year than I was last year.
That's because I think we had a slightly off year in 2010 but we made the G/F because in reality there was Saints & Pies then daylight to the rest.
I am really excited about this year a few tweaks to the game plan and younger guys given an opportunity and the sky is the limit IMO. There is quite a few players who could really blossom with RL's defensive chains relaxed a bit.
Last edited by eppo67 on Mon 28 Feb 2011 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

+1 Agree with all that.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

There are about 7 shield sides and 16 AFL sides.

Therein lies a huge difference.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
eppo67
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:There are about 7 shield sides and 16 AFL sides.

Yes I agree it even made to harder for the the Bushrangers seeing as all of those 7 teams were FULL STATE teams. Good point Saints are now a 'shoe in.' :wink: :wink: :wink:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:There are about 7 shield sides and 16 AFL sides.

You're right, we're no chance then. Ought to just put up the white flag. Not take any inspiration from them at all.
And unless I'm greatly mistaken, there are 17 AFL sides.
I get your point, though, but then again, they lost 4 years in a row, we've only lost two years in a row, so that evens things out significantly IMHO.
But they're just details and I don't think they're the whole point of what I'm saying. I don't think we need to get our calculators out and start measuring whether they're "exactly the same" of not.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Bit optimistic to compare winning the Ryobi Cup that few care about to winning an AFL premiership.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'm pretty sure that the teams competing in it would care about it.
But if you're unable, or unwilling to take inspiration from a team that tried for 5 years to win something and stuck to it until they did, even though they'd generally had a very poor season and only had about half of their best team in the final, then that's your perogative.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Bit optimistic to compare winning the Ryobi Cup that few care about to winning an AFL premiership.
You raise a good point everton but in any case, it's good of the bushrangers to finally win one after losing four years in a row. Gives me confidence because they show it can be done.