How do you deal with heartbreak?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

How do you deal with heartbreak?

As Saints fan, what coping strategies do you use to try and get over the disappointment after we lose?

Lately I've glutton for punishment and have been listening to Mark Fine's talkback show on SEN. Not sure it has helped though.

But I find watching baseball helps. Even if my team (Boston) aren't playing well, I can watch any team play. It seems the zen-like pacing of the game helps to peace me out a little.

Some good music helps. St.Patrick said he like to listen to Ella Fitzgerald. Lately I've been listening to Bruce Sprinsteen's Nebraska LP a lot.

Maybe a nice meal could help cleanse the system as well?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I've started partying like Charlie Sheen.....at least I can start seeing winning

Bring back the Lockett era
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know how we can get the song about the saints that Finey played on SEN?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Anyone know how we can get the song about the saints that Finey played on SEN?
Should call up or email Finey about it. One guy called up and Finey gave him a free signed copy. What was the band called? Was it Leatherhead?

nuttsy
Club Player

I've gone to the other side of the world for 6 months. At this stage I'm due back into Australia just after the Grand Final

Furphy
Club Player

Last year's GF knocked the stuffing out of me, still numb. Not surprised with what this year is bringing, it seems our "high-tide" was the drawn GF last year- that lousy bounce in front of goal! I hope we aren't where the Lions were a few years when they dramatically fell away during the '04 GF and have been in the footy widerness since. At least they got three back to back flags...

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Easy, dont watch it or listen to any football.

Did we loose did we??

I love this club
bergsone
SS Life Member

Kick the cat ,belt the dog,abuse the wife,no not really just suck it up,and get back on the bike and look forward to next game.Really seen it all before probally see it again,but just cant wont give up on em.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

usually jump on the ride on mower the next day/morning but the bastard has a gear problem (ironic, so do we by the looks of it)

other than that just crank on a fav movie and forget about the footy for a few hrs
then you get to work and you get reminded about it, constantly.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I have actually developed the art of blocking all football from my mind, after the pain of 71,97 09/10 and all those dark years I dont just walk away.
But I find the ppl at work, who you normally dont speak to you go out of there way to get in your face, that pisses me of.

I love this club
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I am so glad I am not working otherwise I don't know how I would cope. I used to cop it in spades at my old job.

I am struggling to deal with the whole "another season". To be honest I glad we have a bye this week, means I don't have to worry about it.
I am still struggling with the fact that we came oh so close to winning not just ONE flag but TWO of them, gees that burns so so deep!

I know some people will say its only a footy game, but it still hurts like hell.

My way is to spend more time with the family, play with the kids, because at the end of the day they are more important than any footy game.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
ThePunter
Club Player

I was pretty glum on the train home, and then I started thinking about what I personally had done over the weekend, doing a couple of really tough things on Friday, getting through my first game as President of my local footy team with all the jobs done on Saturday, and then getting quotes for stuff we lost in the flood on Sunday morning.

A smile found its was across my face and it stayed there until I fell asleep about 10pm, having not once in that period had a negative thought about the football.

Still in a pretty good mood this morning. Would be in a better mood if Scott had gotten up this morning, but Aussies golfers at the US Masters are like St Kilda at Grand Finals.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I was over it by halftime.
It's life. s*** happens. You accept it and move on. We just weren't good enough. It hurts, but it's the fact. It's also not the end of the world, or anywhere near it.
Just have to accept it and move on to other things that are important to you and be grateful for the other good things you have in your life and the fact that we've had 3 good years at the top, while teams like Richmond have been nearer the bottom for the best part of 30 years. If you don't have other things that are important to you, or other things you consider good, in your life, you'd better find some, ASAP.
The sun came up this morning and it was a beautiful, fresh, sunny, still, day. I soaked it up and losing a footy game didn't mean squat.
You also have to realise that you have a choice regarding whether you follow a footy team or not. If you choose to do so, you need to accept that there will be highs and lows and no guarantees. Especially if you follow a team that has a long history of not winning Premierships.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I was over it by halftime.
It's life. s*** happens. You accept it and move on. We just weren't good enough. It hurts, but it's the fact. It's also not the end of the world, or anywhere near it.
Just have to accept it and move on to other things that are important to you and be grateful for the other good things you have in your life and the fact that we've had 3 good years at the top, while teams like Richmond have been down near the bottom for the best part of 30 years.
The sun came up this morning and it was a beautiful, fresh, sunny, still, day. I soaked it up and losing a footy game didn't mean squat.
You also have to realise that you have a choice regarding whether you follow a footy team or not. If you choose to do so, you need to accept that there will be highs and lows and no guarantees. Especially if you follow a team that has a long history of not winning Premierships.
Good post APS.

Although it's very emotional, following an AFL team is just another pastime. It's something you do on the weekend and it's costs you a bit of money. You choose to do it for entertainment.

Would someone continue to go parachuting, scuba diving, sailboarding etc if it continually p1ssed them off?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I have lowered my expectations and I am glad that Lyon is realsitic about were we are at.

I will enjoy watching Cripps, Ledger , Winmar, Siposs, Steven, Stanley, Smith and others throughout the year.

I don't think we need a major rebuild as we have a good core group of ten players or so. I just hope we remain competive and do not get flogged every week.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

How many games now, 6 ,10, 13 into the season? No it's only 3 games, the team is flat, a bit disorganised. We will come back, but this will be the biggest test of their careers so far for RL, Roo, BJ, Montagna, NDS, Fisher, Kosi, Scneider and Gilbert as they need to show the leadership and example expected from players who have led by example in the past. I don't like seeing the captain not shaking hands after a match, as it is plain weak behaviour. I would sit these guys down and replay the 09, and two 10 GFs and bash into them the fact that whatever they did then, and however good they thought they were, they could have done better.

Badlands
Club Player

Re: How do you deal with heartbreak?

Sainternist wrote: Some good music helps. St.Patrick said he like to listen to Ella Fitzgerald. Lately I've been listening to Bruce Sprinsteen's Nebraska LP a lot.
Great choice.

Struck me kinda funny. Seemed kind of funny sir to me.
How at the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe.

Pretty apt lyrics at this point in time :wink:

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that in the recent past, whether or not I had a 'good weekend' used to hinge on whether the Saints won or lost. I used to get so nervous during games I couldn't 'enjoy' them. I was horrible company after a loss.

I'm pleased to say I've gotten better but it's taken a long time. Still hurts when we lose but I think i've come to terms with the fact that we're heading into a rebuilding phase now, and I'm actually really looking forward to seeing some kids get a run. It's almost a feeling of relief that the pressure of expectation has been eased.

I used to immediately think of guys like Harves when we got knocked out of the finals and how he'd never play in a premiership and it used to really tear me up inside. Now it's the same for Lenny and co. but I feel I've come to terms with it a bit better.

I was at the Richmond game and although I thought we were pretty ordinary, I was still able to really enjoy the game for its entertainment value. I still plan to get to another four or so games this year.

Whatever happens going forward, it's been an incredible ride over the last 7 or 8 years. I'm not about to jump off when the going gets tough.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Time is running out, 2012 is coming fast :shock:

Joking

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i look back to the late 70s - 80s and think - wow - we've already got two points!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I look back to the late 60s and 70s and sing

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I've been flat since that GF replay, so sure we we're going to win.
If we had one, couldn't care less about this season because I would have expected a major hangover.
But when the shyte hit the fan last December and ongoing crap we put up with over summer, just had a bad feeling.
The Geelong game didn't do anything for me, even if we had won it was just God awful football, then not beating Richmond.
I've actually put my Saints stuff away for now.
If we manage to win the next two weeks, I'll drag it out again in hope.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I have simply given up, it actually makes me feel a bit better..been a member for over 30 yrs and the bad times during the 80's didn't hurt as much as this . We had a fair dinkum chance for glory and got nothing and will now slide down, this hurts a whole lot more.

I give up.

PS. If some on here don't appreciate my negativity...stiff.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

hey girls..... kmart having sale on tissues atm... 89 cents a box...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:hey girls..... kmart having sale on tissues atm... 89 cents a box...
That's cheap, I'll take a pallet.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:hey girls..... kmart having sale on tissues atm... 89 cents a box...
tissues are no good. the tears have dried up. we need prozak!