Baker, Koschitzke, McQualter in for Saints!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Fact is, if you want more kids in the team well then you can kiss the season goodbye. We may still have a good chance this season. I think we have a good balance.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Dempster, Baker, Mini, Jones.

Good to see we'll be taking the game head on this week... :roll:
How was our form last week? Maybe another 5 changes will help. I actually think it makes total sense to go with the tried and true. If we lose the season is done and we can try others. Why does one week matter. If anyone thinks Winmar is going to help the side more than Baker this week then they havent seen them play. Last chance and I reckon going with guys that nearly won us a GF 5 games ago makes sense.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Our backline is hardly inspiring. Not much pace there.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Saint Bev wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Spinner wrote:
saintlee wrote:Not terribly inspiring ins, but at least Steven, Stanley and Smith retain their spots.

I suspect if we lose this one, RL will start playing more of the kids....

How many more kids can we play????
Quite a few.
Thats working well for the Sun, who made the decision to go with youth rather than recruit experienced players :roll:
Worked well for Hawthorn in 2008 when they won the flag with close to the youngest list in the league. Didn't treat the Pies too badly last year either.
It's illogical to bring the Suns into this :roll: :roll:
Last edited by #1GILL on Wed 20 Apr 2011 6:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

doggerel
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Any news on who the Sub will be :?:
McQualter according to Saints email.
there is nothing in the Saints email I have got to indicate who the sub will be. The yellow box around McQ just indicates he is an "in". Kosi & Bakes have the same yellow box.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
saintlee
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Spinner wrote:
saintlee wrote:Not terribly inspiring ins, but at least Steven, Stanley and Smith retain their spots.

Quite a few.
Thats working well for the Sun, who made the decision to go with youth rather than recruit experienced players :roll:
Are you serious? That is a ridiculous comparison. At any rate, the Suns will be laughing in a couple of years when the have a team full of stars.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Just looked at AFL regulations. The Sub. does not need to be nominated until Final team sheets are submitted on the day of the match.

saintlee
Club Player

doggerel wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Any news on who the Sub will be :?:
McQualter according to Saints email.
there is nothing in the Saints email I have got to indicate who the sub will be. The yellow box around McQ just indicates he is an "in". Kosi & Bakes have the same yellow box.
Yep, your right, my mistake :oops:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Good to hear that McQualter will be the Sub., which means that Stanley gets a full game (or thereabouts). I am happy with that. :lol:
How do you know who the sub will be? Well you are right in one way. There is no way Stanley will be the sub.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Sub is decided 45 mins before game.

McQualter is looking to break an 11 game goal drought :shock: He spends much of the game forward of centre. This must say something...

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Yeah, the best way to blood 'kids' is to make sure they're not being thrown to the wolves.
Meaning, they need to have experienced guys around them to learn from, and to rely on.

Throwing a bunch of kids in by themselves isn't smart. 3-4 max. I think.

Any more than that at a time and you'll potentially wreck their development.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Sub is decided 45 mins before game.

McQualter is looking to break an 11 game goal drought :shock: He spends much of the game forward of centre. This must say something...
Probably says he will have more tackles in our forward line than the whole side had last game.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Just looked at AFL regulations. Notification of the Sub. can be left until Final team sheets are lodged on the day of the match. Not sure what the exact timing for this is?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:Dempster should make way.
Well there you go, I thought you might wish that he Does really well - for his 100th match also....

He's not that bad, looks like he is another new whipping boy :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 20 Apr 2011 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Fact is, if you want more kids in the team well then you can kiss the season goodbye. We may still have a good chance this season. I think we have a good balance.
100% correct clarky449

We've already got a few kids in there. Any further kids not only have to be up to the task but you then need to be able to gel the whole team together. Too many changes, too quickly, makes that impossible.

A win this week is all that matters. Other kids, if they deserve it, can be introduced gradually throughout the season.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

How was our form last week? Maybe another 5 changes will help. I actually think it makes total sense to go with the tried and true. If we lose the season is done and we can try others. Why does one week matter. If anyone thinks Winmar is going to help the side more than Baker this week then they havent seen them play. Last chance and I reckon going with guys that nearly won us a GF 5 games ago makes sense.
Our form last week?... No worse really than the 2 weeks before... With the tried and true team...

This argument of backing in those that got us to the GF, 1... 2... 4... 5.... weeks ago is holding less water by the week... Literally... Soon it'll be, keep faith in the team that got us to the GF 2 seasons ago...

That team is dead and buried...

For mine, Smith showed more last week than any of Baker, Mini, Jones and Dempster have in the matches they played...

No reason that Lynch, Winmar or Johnson couldn't do the same... Or any worse...

Ross will be forced to do this eventually due to weight of number of losses...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Our form last week?... No worse really than the 2 weeks before... With the tried and true team...
our form last week was worse than the two weeks before. last week we lost by ten goals. the two weeks before we had an average losing margin of 0.5 points. round one we almost beat a side which is currently undefeated.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Our form last week?... No worse really than the 2 weeks before... With the tried and true team...

This argument of backing in those that got us to the GF, 1... 2... 4... 5.... weeks ago is holding less water by the week... Literally... Soon it'll be, keep faith in the team that got us to the GF 2 seasons ago...

That team is dead and buried...

For mine, Smith showed more last week than any of Baker, Mini, Jones and Dempster have in the matches they played...

No reason that Lynch, Winmar or Johnson couldn't do the same... Or any worse...

Ross will be forced to do this eventually due to weight of number of losses...
I think Smith is still playing so you may be right about him. Have you seen the other 3 you mentioned play more than one game this year. Anyway we played kids last week and they may have done ok but my guess is all our systems fell down. How else can you explain that performance and I think that is the point. Play kids and they may do ok but the structure of side then becomes completely stuffed.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

MCG-Unit wrote:
Well there you go, I thought you might wish that he Does really well - for his 100th match also....

He's not a new whipping boy, and yes he is that bad...

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Sub is decided 45 mins before game.

Probably says he will have more tackles in our forward line than the whole side had last game.
Don't get me wrong, I like his tackling, but he needs to get into the game offensively as well to justify continual selection. Like in 09.

Jack Steven and Rhys Stanley better lay some tackles as well. In fact, the whole team should. It is a mindset issue, although bigger bodies clearly have an advantage.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote: Are you serious? That is a ridiculous comparison. At any rate, the Suns will be laughing in a couple of years when the have a team full of stars.
If the the kids all playing for the Suns right now cop 10 goal beltings every week, and don't have any mature, experienced players around to learn their trade from, they may not develop as well as evryone expects.

I don't think you develop into the type of player everyone thinks you will, just because you're playing senior footy.

To use a dodgy analogy: companies don't promote a bunch of potential young guns into senior positions all at once. The company would go broke and the kids themselves wouldn't develop unless they had someone to learn from. You progressively promote them into 'soft' positions where they learn the ropes in real life, but have people to learn from and people to rely on.

Building a footy team is the same I reckon. You slot a couple in here and there and try to ensure they are the 3rd or 4th stringer in their role (ie. they get the 3rd or 4th best defender of forward instead of copping a Dustin Fletcher each week).
If you spend every week chasing arses and dropping your head at the thrashing your copping, you're not really learning much.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

If 45 minutes before the game is when Final team sheets have to be put in, then that's the timing.

Could there be a change of Sub. then?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

He's not a new whipping boy, and yes he is that bad...
If he's 'that bad' why are the coaches selecting him each week? So they want an inferior side? Maybe they know more than us whether he has held his own or not - and where he fits in with their plans :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
oakleighboy
Club Player

Pisweak selections
No guts
No vision
No balls
Too old
Retire baker
Sack selection committettee
They can all rack off
Last edited by oakleighboy on Wed 20 Apr 2011 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

My guess is that Dempster is doing a pre-determined role each week and the match committee are happy with what he is delivering. :)