all nine games will be live on fox

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What about me?

My wife offers to buy me foxtel sub in 2005 and they say satellite is the way to go for us, but I'm not happy with a dish because at the time it didn't carry all FTA channels on the dish.

Fast forward 6 years and dear old wifey has outright banned foxtel from our house as she thinks (correctly) I'd just watch sport all the time.

Silly me!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I watch very little TV aside from saints games…

$60 a month ($720 PA) for a few games a year is a massive rip-off for me… there is no way I am paying it

Internet streaming gets bigger every year, if it is live on FOX, someone will be streaming it… with a billion dollars going to the AFL for TV rights, I won't feel guilty for watching a free stream…

Anyone noticed how you don't have to buy an entire album if you like one song anymore? The AFL needs to move with the times, the technology is ready but they refuse to implement it, so I have to buy an entire pay tv subscription?
well screw them…

St Plugger
Club Player

I for one think its a great deal!!1
I live in rural Victoria and seeing a live game, by that I mean going to a home game cost about $140.00-$150.00, taking into account tickets, fuel,food, parking, beer and pies!![that is if no parking/ speeding fines are incurred] 6 games x $150.00 = $500.00
At $15.00 a week, I will get to see the games in real time, [but do have to put up with the commentators]
As well as that I have the rest of my day/night free to do as I wish, and not have it taken up with 6 hrs travel, get to eat home made meals [and pies] cold beer at supermarket prices, a decent toilet and then get Austar for the rest of the week more or less thrown in!!!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah im thinking the same
bit far to drive to games

even if it did go up a bit when ALL games are live (except the GF) ill pay it.
considering i can get the NBA as well as other sports

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Well I've got foxtel, got it at the start of last season. Sport, 'get started' and HD costs me $70 a month from memory.

For me to go to an away game we pay $10-15 for a carpark, plus the $20 plus for petrol plus citylink. Or we can get the train and spend $10 each on a ticket, then cop idiots on public transport. If we get food, we are paying $10 minimum for some food each. Generally speaking, I have a beer either before or during the game - add another $10. As I only have/had a home game membership, we are paying for tickets, so what is that, another $25 each? Suddenly, to go to an away game, its cost me $100 to take the other half to the footy.

Chances are, we'll have at least one away game a month. So I've paid $70 a month for HD foxtel, every game live in the comfort of my own home with no d***head opposition supporter stirring me up behind me, able to drink 3 stubbies to the price of 1 mid-strength through a plastic cup.

Add to that your cricket world cup, all the olympics, NRL, a-league, EPL, the missus is happy because she gets to watch Jersey Shore and Toddlers and Tiara's and god knows what else. As much as I don't enjoy paying to watch my TV, it really is a no-brainer for me.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Teflon wrote: Again, thats all fantastic cause you can obviously afford it and you can play the "hey its a democracy" card. You also forgot to add from your options above "hey you can go suck an egg....".....thats free.....

Many long, old time footy fans wouldnt be able to afford the game IF it went the way of Foxtel for most games in future.....many of those fans were what clubs were built on. Cant believe the "God given right" is used as an excuse to deprive people the chance to see the game they built up and how that gets lost on some.

Still, we arent at this point yet, but the future football landscape and TV rights 2016 out will be interesting...no question Foxtel has grown this time around and its hard to see them going backwards in future...but at what price for the avg fan.
Yes, I am lucky and I can afford it. As can the the vast majority of "old time footy fans" - whoever they are. I choose not to buy FOX and am highly unlikely to do so in the future - simply because I do exercise the choice to do other things with my life than just watch the idiot box all weekend - I do admit that I spend a fair few hours in front of it mind.

Exactly who are these "lifeblood of footy people" - who don't go to live games, don't go to local footy, don't have things to do with their families or friends.... and if these mythical folk do exist, how exactly did they "build up" the game - by collecting callouses on their backsides sitting at home watching the game on TV?
Lets just explore this "mythical" logic.

According to you then EVERYONE can afford 60 bucks a month for Foxtel or if they cant they should adopt a local side or take their dog for a walk? Because according to you people who cant afford Foxtel yet enjoy following their AFL club simply dont exist?.....is that right?

As I said, its thin logic applied when YOU can afford it...with stuff all regard for those less well off.

I guess according to your "mythical logic" starvation in third world countries is an elaborate hoax put up by scheming governments??

Must be a nice world..."mythical land"....:roll:

“Yeah….nah””
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Yep... focusing on Foxtel has done wonders for the growth of the NBL, A League and Supers 12-15.

Is the NRL negotiating the rights for the AFL?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

PLUGGER14 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:The ones on free to air will be simulcast on Foxtel with the same ads. What's the point?
Hope not... As it stands Foxtel shows uninterrupted quarters!

Don't care how many ads they show at the breaks but would be pissed off if they show them after each goal!!
Get ready to be pissed off! Only for the simulcast games I hope.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
wasaintsfan
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:If it all goes to pay tv then i'll just have to get my footy fix from the radio....
or you could just gotto the game

i live in wa... to have a chance at watching the saints games i have to own foxtel...
or connect to southern cross darwin which is generally delayed anyway

im over people complaining at the idea of foxtel getting rights to show all game....

$60 a month thats what $15 a week to see every single game live... to have a choice which one you watch.... most spend more then that to watch it at the pub.... (which you can then buy a carton for $30-$40)

i for one as some one living outside of vic(if i lived in vic id be at all 22 games) am grateful that the solution now involves foxtel airing all games live

wasaintsfan
Club Player

cowboy18 wrote:Yep... focusing on Foxtel has done wonders for the growth of the NBL, A League and Supers 12-15.

when was the nbl a league or super 12 ever popular???????

besides the rights arent changing you want your 4 games a week.. youve got it... want 9 games a week LIVE youve got that too....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:
bobmurray wrote:If it all goes to pay tv then i'll just have to get my footy fix from the radio....

i live in wa... to have a chance at watching the saints games i have to own foxtel...

im over people complaining at the idea of foxtel getting rights to show all game....

$60 a month thats what $15 a week to see every single game live... to have a choice which one you watch.... most spend more then that to watch it at the pub.... (which you can then buy a carton for $30-$40)

i for one as some one living outside of vic(if i lived in vic id be at all 22 games) am grateful that the solution now involves foxtel airing all games live
And good for you.

The issue here isnt games being shown on Foxtel, or $15 a week (geezus....extrapolate anything out over multiple weeks and we can even rationalise the white elepehant Vic De-Sal plant FFS).

As long as footy on free to air doesnt become marginalised then Foxtel can and should do what they want to offer a better service to their customers -my only concern is that footy on free to air in years to come becomes the exception and not the norm it is now. I think this way for 2 reasons:

1. For those who genuinely can't afford 60-70 bucks a month (and despite cr@p to the contrary these people do exist...in numbers

2. The game - I already see first hand the explosion of soccer in schools......every effort has to be made to ensure AFL remains accessible to as many as possible. Its to good a game.

We are a long way from this Foxtel monopoly occuring IMO and it may never eventuate, but watching their influence grow each footy rights negotiation has been interesting....and some big players pull behind the scenes strings in TV land (and know where the cash is also..)

Anyway, thats just my thoughts..
Last edited by Teflon on Tue 26 Apr 2011 11:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

a month...not a week...ffs...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:

And good for you.

The issue here isnt games being shown on Foxtel, or $15 a week (geezus....extrapolate anything out over multiple weeks and we can even rationalise the white elepehant Vic De-Sal plant FFS).

As long as footy on free to air doesnt become marginalised then Foxtel can and should do what they want to offer a better service to their customers -my only concern is that footy on free to air in years to come becomes the exception and not the norm it is now. I think this way for 2 reasons:

1. For those who genuinely can't afford 60-70 bucks a week (and despite cr@p to the contrary these people do exist...in numbers..)

2. The game - I already see first hand the explosion of soccer in schools......every effort has to be made to ensure AFL remains accessible to as many as possible. Its to good a game.

We are a long way from this Foxtel monopoly occuring IMO and it may never eventuate, but watching their influence grow each footy rights negotiation has been interesting....and some big players pull behind the scenes strings in TV land (and know where the cash is also..)

where does $70 pw come in???? basic package = $44 per month (plus sports which is $16) which = $60 which if you break it down over a 12 month contract to 52 weeks is actually $13.84 per week....

if these people cant afford that per week here is my proposal... contact eachother.... get multi room 6 ways...(take a box each, most will be renting and most rentals have foxtel connection) then its $60 plus $15 per multi room so thats $150 pm paid over 6 ways :P which will then be $5.77 per week for those 6 families ^_^ (or $25 per month each)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:
Teflon wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:

And good for you.

1. For those who genuinely can't afford 60-70 bucks a week (and despite cr@p to the contrary these people do exist...in numbers..)

where does $70 pw come in???? basic package = $44 per month (plus sports which is $16) which = $60 which if you break it down over a 12 month contract to 52 weeks is actually $13.84 per week....

if these people cant afford that per week here is my proposal... contact eachother.... get multi room 6 ways...(take a box each, most will be renting and most rentals have foxtel connection) then its $60 plus $15 per multi room so thats $150 pm paid over 6 ways :P which will then be $5.77 per week for those 6 families ^_^ (or $25 per month each)
Apologies, 60 bucks a month or 600 a year - I kow its hard to believe when you're cashed up to the shytehouse but for many thats a huge expense on top of everything else that seems to be sky rocketing at present.

Interesting idea, perhaps we could simply amass all poorer AFL followers into a commune....say Christmas Island?? (is it being used..)......and just let them share 1 Foxtel connection so the free to air stuff can be royally bastardised and the rest of us can get on living guilt free, warm in our "capitalist state".

“Yeah….nah””
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What I cant understand is why the FTA stations did not insist on the 9th game! In other words broadcast 5 matches a week. Very weak in my opinion.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

cashed up??? far from it... offered a simple solution that was forwarded to me by an employee of foxtel

as long as a house has a sattelite and foxtel point(which almost all rentals do now) you can use the basic foxtel box... so i simply put forward the fact that 1 person buy foxtel and get 5 multi rooms on top so that 6 families in 6 different houses/suburbs/cities can put towards the same bill... and instead of paying $60 a month each pay $25 a month

but hey read it as you like

love how people look to the negative rather then the solution....

i know single parents who can afford it doing it that way living on a pension.... but then again they dont blow their money on smokes/drugs/alcohol :)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Foxtel is terrible value for terrible content.

80% of it is crap.

I can afford to pay for it but I wont. I can download games 24hrs after the fact and most of the time I can watch them live online anyway.

I have had Foxtel in the recent past and it was just not worth it.

If you pay for Foxtel, and like it, so be it, each to their own.

I can see good times ahead going to the pub to watch more games :P

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
wasaintsfan
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:What I cant understand is why the FTA stations did not insist on the 9th game! In other words broadcast 5 matches a week. Very weak in my opinion.
because channel 7 look like getting the rights for fta... they dont care about the smaller games... they care about the "big games" of each round... but then cause people in other states.. to miss out on it to show the local team...

channel 9 is the one to thank for us even getting a chance at the rights of seeing all games live....

they put their offer in to allow foxtel all telecasts... channel 7 then matched it but with more money

wasaintsfan
Club Player

bigred wrote:Foxtel is terrible value for terrible content.

80% of it is crap.

I can afford to pay for it but I wont. I can download games 24hrs after the fact and most of the time I can watch them live online anyway.

I have had Foxtel in the recent past and it was just not worth it.

If you pay for Foxtel, and like it, so be it, each to their own.

I can see good times ahead going to the pub to watch more games :P
exactly each to their own... and the new contract coming up now offers that choice

personally i hate web feeds....rathe a clear black and white feed in mono myself

but its all i get most weeks... ive seen 1 saints game live on tv this year and attended another because of current contracts which the live game was on... wait for it foxtel

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:cashed up??? far from it... offered a simple solution that was forwarded to me by an employee of foxtel

as long as a house has a sattelite and foxtel point(which almost all rentals do now) you can use the basic foxtel box... so i simply put forward the fact that 1 person buy foxtel and get 5 multi rooms on top so that 6 families in 6 different houses/suburbs/cities can put towards the same bill... and instead of paying $60 a month each pay $25 a month

i know single parents who can afford it doing it that way living on a pension.... but then again they dont blow their money on smokes/drugs/alcohol :)
Yes because the point and "solution" here is to offer multi access for single Foxtel boxes....Nationally...FFS

The ISSUE that is of concern to me isnt "how" we access Foxtel for the underprivelaged...its that they 'might' have to use such means in the future...

There's only 1 solution to that and it has eff-all to do with satelite dishes...

And Id be surprised if everyone who cant afford Foxtel - families and others - do so because they buy grog, drugs and cigarettes...but hey if it helps you float your argument...knock your socks off...

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i actually love foxtel...watch a lot of sport, footy shows on fox, and the occasional movie.....tape a fair bit on the digital hard drives...i have two boxes....about to get a third for the 3 d tellie in the study....and i haven't a clue how much i pay for it.....about a 1/4 to a 1/3 the amount that the missus spends on smokes a month i would presume.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:cashed up??? far from it... offered a simple solution that was forwarded to me by an employee of foxtel

Yes because the point and "solution" here is to offer multi access for single Foxtel boxes....Nationally...FFS

The ISSUE that is of concern to me isnt "how" we access Foxtel for the underprivelaged...its that they 'might' have to use such means in the future...

There's only 1 solution to that and it has eff-all to do with satelite dishes...

And Id be surprised if everyone who cant afford Foxtel - families and others - do so because they buy grog, drugs and cigarettes...but hey if it helps you float your argument...knock your socks off...
didnt say every who couldnt afford smoked etc.. just stated i know people who live on the government who can afford it(with no other means of income ;) ) and that they dont touch that stuff...

and you think the fta channels give a stuff about keeping afl live.... you're argueing with a guy who has to every single friday night has to wait til 8 30pm to watch a game because better homes and gardens is on one channel and some 30 year old show on other channels.;.. when in fact the games over....
finished... and that option is still there for anyone who wants it

channel 7 only compete with channel 9 and 10... for the rights

because current laws in australia stops live sports in australia being only on pay tv... so unless the laws change... which aslong as channel 7 still runs this countries broadcasting lineups it wont ever change

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the sport package is actually 18 bucks a month

if they gave you the option of having JUST the sport package they might actually get more customers

they actually beam you every channel to your box, and just block the ones you arent paying for
so it costs no more for them to show you 100 channels as it does to show you 50

its like the internet in australia
its bandwidth, in the air, freq, costs no more to give you 100 gig compared to 10

both rorts imo
yet i decide i will accept both rorts and pay for it

The_Merchant
Club Player

I get so sick of the freeView ads etc. and the woe is me attitude of FTA tv stations about anti-siphoning laws. For years FTA stations have treated the viewers with contempt, telling us when and where we could watch our sport. Growing up in country Vic, we got a one-hour highlights package of footy, no live coverage at all. How times have changed, now we are complaining about only four live FTA games each week. Foxtel is forcing FTA to up the anti in what they offer viewers, not before time.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:Yep... focusing on Foxtel has done wonders for the growth of the NBL, A League and Supers 12-15.

when was the nbl a league or super 12 ever popular???????

besides the rights arent changing you want your 4 games a week.. youve got it... want 9 games a week LIVE youve got that too....
The problem I see is in the emerging markets like NSW and probably Qld, where the immersion for interested people simply isn't there. The FTA stations do a reasonable job at the moment (particularly 10/oneHD) but the model restricting access can be the thing that limits the growth of the game. Hopefully the multi-channeling can fix this - especially with prime time games. The blend of FTA/pay TV is sensible in my opinion.

As for the merits of siphoning to payTV to encourage subscriptions, Basketball was reduced to an insignificant niche, the A League is nowhere near where it should be given the sport's popularity and Super 15s has a cashed up stronghold but the game is dying at the grass roots. Having said that, without foxtel's investment the A league would have died several years ago.