Goddard to GWS??. 3AW Rumour !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Goddard to GWS??. 3AW Rumour !!

A caller to the 3AW Rumour File this morning told of all the i's being dotted and t's being crossed and that Brendon Goddard will be the 1st captain of GWS. So, according to all the rumours GWS are puting a list together that looks something like;

Brendon Goddard (StK) capt
Taylor Walker (Adel)
Tom Scully (Melb)
Dale Thomas (Coll)
Callum Ward (WB)
Marc Murphy (Carl)
Sam Mitchell (Haw)

Like most, if not all saints I don't want to believe that BJ is going to/has signed with them !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

He's not leaving the saints. will be a saint for life.

longtimesaint
Club Player

In the interview last week I am sure he said he was contracted until the end of 2012.
GWs would need to recruit for 2012.

One year will be our year
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hayes, who turns 31 before the start of next season and had already declared himself a Saint for his playing life, is one of a raft of key signings soon to be announced by the club.

Brendon Goddard has reached a two-year agreement with the Saints, taking him to the end of 2012 when he becomes a free agent under the new AFL rules. The deal is understood to have elevated him to No. 2 on the St Kilda pay scale behind captain Nick Riewoldt.

And All-Australian midfielders Nick Dal Santo and Leigh Montagna have also committed to the club, with Montagna understood to have signed until the end of 2012 and Dal Santo reported to have negotiated an agreement until the end of 2013.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... z1L9L2icit

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

wasn't this the same rumour from 3 weeks ago?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

No one who bleeds red, white and black would dream of BJ going. But if BJ decides at seasons end that he is too scarred and needs a change of jumper, it would end up being the worst thing for both parties to try and force him to stay.

The club will just have to make sure they accept his wish to move on and organize a trade that reflect his market value. Him still being under contract would give us a bit of bargaining power and we know GWS will be good for it.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon if the club is smart we could really benifit from this sought of deal.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

If anyone from St Kilda goes to GWS it will more likely be Sam Gilbert, and I say good riddance!

Had he not been thinking with the wrong head much of the off season scandal would not have occurred and we would most likely be playing off for another premiership rather than for draft picks.

See Ya Sammy!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sure he can sell his soul like Ablett and play for a bunch of Duds and ruin his reputation for years.

All the best to him if that's what he wants.

But firstly BJ, please put the team above yourself this season.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would make BJ skipper for 2012.

Riewoldt is dropping marks and didnt step up in gf's. He misses too many goals . I would trade Roo ahead of BJ any day.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 6043946401
The match-winner is off-limits to Greater Western Sydney after reportedly re-signing with St Kilda until the end of 2013.

While debate rages whether St Kilda should recycle some of its established stars to help regenerate next season, Goddard said he remained desperate to win the club its second flag.

''As you get older you realise there is more to life than football, but I am a very, very loyal person and a very trustworthy person and I'd like think that I would stay at this footy club for life,'' he said.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
spert
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I would make BJ skipper for 2012.

Riewoldt is dropping marks and didnt step up in gf's. He misses too many goals . I would trade Roo ahead of BJ any day.
One thing for certain is that BJ can step up to elite level, and will again, whereas Roo can't- can have great days, but got beaten too easily in the finals that count.

Richter
SS Life Member

spert wrote:One thing for certain is that BJ can step up to elite level, and will again, whereas Roo can't
This is the most ridiculous comment I have ever read on this forum.... and that is saying something....

:roll:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Sure he can sell his soul like Ablett and play for a bunch of Duds and ruin his reputation for years.

All the best to him if that's what he wants.

But firstly BJ, please put the team above yourself this season.
Easier call for Gazza.

Players want premierships more than anything else and Ablett already has two of them to reflect back on in his retirement. With those secured he could more easily make the call to play for a bucket load of cash.

Much tougher call for someone like BJ.

marksnsparks
Club Player

As a realist, something like this might happen, even if it isn't Goddard.

The important thing is learning from the Ball debacle and LETS MAKE SURE WE GET SOMETHING IN RETURN!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:As a realist, something like this might happen, even if it isn't Goddard.

The important thing is learning from the Ball debacle and LETS MAKE SURE WE GET SOMETHING IN RETURN!!
Forget the Ball comparison.

If this were to happen we'd simply receive an AFL prescribed compensatory draft pick.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
spert wrote:One thing for certain is that BJ can step up to elite level, and will again, whereas Roo can't
This is the most ridiculous comment I have ever read on this forum.... and that is saying something....

Prove me wrong

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:

I don't agree with sperts assessment, but, lets just say I think BJ's best is better. Roo seems to let the burden get the better of him too, whilst BJ (although looking like a spent man lately) seems to override it...GF2 showed this to greatest effect.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I agree that BJ's best is better than Roo's best. I reckon BJ used all his petrol tickets up in the two '10 GFs and probably got pretty peed off that others didn't rise to the occasion. I expect he is having trouble getting that tempo back, but will eventually. I want to see a bit more fight and leadership from Roo, other wise get him out of the forward line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I agree that BJ's best is better than Roo's best. I reckon BJ used all his petrol tickets up in the two '10 GFs and probably got pretty peed off that others didn't rise to the occasion. I expect he is having trouble getting that tempo back, but will eventually. I want to see a bit more fight and leadership from Roo, other wise get him out of the forward line.
Midnight Oil is all I will say to this stuff.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:I agree that BJ's best is better than Roo's best. I reckon BJ used all his petrol tickets up in the two '10 GFs and probably got pretty peed off that others didn't rise to the occasion. I expect he is having trouble getting that tempo back, but will eventually. I want to see a bit more fight and leadership from Roo, other wise get him out of the forward line.
Is Roo's bed burning :?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Is Roo's bed burning :?
Short memory.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Is Roo handling it though?

The pressure, expectation and scrutiny was only going to multiply this year.

Usually the 'Roo has to play well for the Saints to win' was reserved for the final series.

Yet it's already dominating the headlines in April, I knew it was going to be tough for him, but not even I thought it was be so intense this early.

I still think the timing was perfect for a fresh start for the club, a new campaign, a new facility, new leadership.

People were confident he could handle it, that it was disloyal to suggest otherwise, that it was somehow slurring his character to question if it was best for Roo was to stand aside.

I'm sure he wants to lead, wants to pull this club out of the hole it's in, wants to lead.

I just think that after the season he had, on and off the field, it's not fair to expect him to.

As I said elsewhere, I'm actually quite worried for him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Is Roo handling it though?

The pressure, expectation and scrutiny was only going to multiply this year.

Usually the 'Roo has to play well for the Saints to win' was reserved for the final series.

Yet it's already dominating the headlines in April, I knew it was going to be tough for him, but not even I thought it was be so intense this early.

I still think the timing was perfect for a fresh start for the club, a new campaign, a new facility, new leadership.

People were confident he could handle it, that it was disloyal to suggest otherwise, that it was somehow slurring his character to question if it was best for Roo was to stand aside.

I'm sure he wants to lead, wants to pull this club out of the hole it's in, wants to lead.

I just think that after the season he had, on and off the field, it's not fair to expect him to.

As I said elsewhere, I'm actually quite worried for him.
So after all his trouble we then sack him at captain. That would do wonders for his mental side. And then we replace him with a very angry man who is struggling this year anyway. Makes no sense at all. Rooy isnt struggling because he is captain. It may be how we are playing, the GF losses or personal issues but the captaincy isnt an issue.