stress, intensity and trying too hard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

stress, intensity and trying too hard

I have been thinking about this for a while now and this is my theory.

#12 and 18 are just way too stressed and tense to both play and lead the team.

There is a fine line between intensity been good and bad, the bad brings about trying too hard (anyone who plays/ed sport should understand that). Look at a 100 metre runner who tenses up too much

Goddard seems almost in a rage everytime he runs out, raging against the opposition, himself and his teammates... it is not healthy

That look on Roos face before every game, has now gone on too long. There is only so many times he can gather the team in and rant and rave and be so intense.

Why is this bad for the team? Well the stress and intensity rubs off on them but the wrong way.

They seem to be scared and frightened of up setting these two and therefore they are never relaxed (witness our goal kicking skills)

Obviously (or not) they should have had counselling after last year's gf, but how they are playing and relating to others now, it would seem not to be working.

Look at some of the great leaders in footy Kirk, Hodge, Voss etc they played hard but relaxed and they engaged their team mates, not stressed them out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i agree 100% .

stressed. a flock of albatross around their necks. worried about making errors. its not healthy. any one who plays sport at any level knows this isnt the way to get optimum performance.

this is why i have been advocating for a change of leadership. not that roo has done anything wrong. just for the sake of refreshing and chilling out and for him to just go back to playing footy. not unlike punter at the end of his tenure. he was just stressing out too much.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 03 May 2011 7:41pm, edited 2 times in total.

busso mick
Club Player

Some good points there TSR. It will be interesting to see how we play if we fall out of finals contention. My guess is they will play with freedom and flair and prove your points correct. Sometimes you have to go back to go forward along a different path, particularly after our "up" period of the past few years. Maybe a trip to the cinema is in order :wink:

Maxstar22
Club Player

So how do you change this?

How does a manager do this in your average everyday office/worksite?

While I understand a footy club is very different to an office, could there be somethng in getting some sort of "expert" from another area/field to "have a chat" to the boys??....seems to me the message from the coaches and another support personnel isn't getting through.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It will happen organically.

At some point something will happen that instills faith in each other, belief in the strategy and all of a sudden things will go pop.

It may be against Carlton this week. Of course it may be Round 15 in 2015 too. But still, it, will happen.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I played basketball for a long time and nothing messes with your head more than losing when you have been a good team for a long time. When your stocks slide you want to celebrate wins over crap teams but you know you shouldn't even need to try. You don't enjoy the cheap win like a bottom club does. The only way to stop that malaise is to take a big scalp and show yourself that you still have it. Just smash the f%$@#ng Blues and you will feel AWESOME.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:You don't enjoy the cheap win like a bottom club does. The only way to stop that malaise is to take a big scalp and show yourself that you still have it. Just smash the f%$@#ng Blues and you will feel AWESOME.
THIS!

Carlton are due for a loss anyway. They got lucky against Sydney and Essendon.

Why not?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:So how do you change this?

How does a manager do this in your average everyday office/worksite?

While I understand a footy club is very different to an office, could there be somethng in getting some sort of "expert" from another area/field to "have a chat" to the boys??....seems to me the message from the coaches and another support personnel isn't getting through.
holiday to vegas? oh actually. no that didnt work.
day spa? day at a fun park?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

movies and Bonnie Doon....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:movies and Bonnie Doon....
yep. the serenity. never fails.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I played basketball for a long time and nothing messes with your head more than losing when you have been a good team for a long time. When your stocks slide you want to celebrate wins over crap teams but you know you shouldn't even need to try. You don't enjoy the cheap win like a bottom club does. The only way to stop that malaise is to take a big scalp and show yourself that you still have it. Just smash the f%$@#ng Blues and you will feel AWESOME.
good post.

we need a scalp. confidence is a funny thing.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
gringo wrote:I played basketball for a long time and nothing messes with your head more than losing when you have been a good team for a long time. When your stocks slide you want to celebrate wins over crap teams but you know you shouldn't even need to try. You don't enjoy the cheap win like a bottom club does. The only way to stop that malaise is to take a big scalp and show yourself that you still have it. Just smash the f%$@#ng Blues and you will feel AWESOME.
good post.

we need a scalp. confidence is a funny thing.
Christ would I love to see that.

Rumours of St Kilda's demise have been greatly exaggerated etc, etc.

Make it happen.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

It is the struggle within folks.

It all becomes so infinitely complex to solve. The slump.

But it can all change for the better in the blink of an eye.

:(

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
iceman
Club Player

To me Goddard looks like someone who has run 10 marathons in the last 2 months...

Meaning he may well be fit but driving himself so hard that he hasn't been fresh. Carrying a sore body and fighting through it...

I've got no basis for this, but his energy levels are really lacking. I thought maybe the bye week would freshen him up, from what I understand they pretty much trained through though.

Might need a trip to bonnie doon :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:movies and Bonnie Doon....
yep. the serenity. never fails.
After the last two seasons I just wish we had something to put in the pool room :cry: