Has the time come?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Has the time come?

I was pretty pleased with what I saw tonight. There were signs that the team was getting back to the levels of intensity and commitment that made them such a force in 09-10. I think this group still has plenty to offer, but there does need to be a bit of a rejuvenation strategy put in place. I love the way RL shows faith in players, as it has seen this team become consistent and stable, but the time has come to admit we can't squeeze any more out of some players. I'm not one for merely giving young players a game just for the sake of promoting youth, but the current situation provides the perfect opportunity to perform some "surgery" on the team, both in terms of its composition and game-style.

I love the Blake and Bakes and nobody gives more than they do, but I think they've reached their use-by. Our lack of run and speed of movement from the back half is really hurting at the moment. Neither is going to get better or quicker. Great servants who deserve a send-off match. The game appears to have passed McQualter by as well. He was such an important piece of the puzzle in 2009, but he's been worked out and now is exploited by the opposition. His tackling and defensive pressure, once the hallmark of his game, and the reason he was there, are simply not sufficient to justify his selection any more.

At the risk of raising the ire of the Raph Clarke supporters, I think the writing has been on the wall for him for some time. I was a fan of Raph in the beginning, but I think he's gone backwards for some time. I believe he played his best football in 2005. He is in his eighth season and still making the same howlers as always. He looks uncertain and hesitant when he has the ball and he continues to make basic errors that you wouldn't expect from a rookie. Has anyone ever had more chances? Time to concede defeat on this one.

Just look what Collingwood did last year. Medhurst, Lockyer, Fraser and Anthony, amongst others all had their papers stamped early in the season and were replaced with "fresh blood". Time for us to do the same. Thoughts?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Has the time come?

White Winmar wrote:I was pretty pleased with what I saw tonight. There were signs that the team was getting back to the levels of intensity and commitment that made them such a force in 09-10. I think this group still has plenty to offer, but there does need to be a bit of a rejuvenation strategy put in place. I love the way RL shows faith in players, as it has seen this team become consistent and stable, but the time has come to admit we can't squeeze any more out of some players. I'm not one for merely giving young players a game just for the sake of promoting youth, but the current situation provides the perfect opportunity to perform some "surgery" on the team, both in terms of its composition and game-style.

I love the Blake and Bakes and nobody gives more than they do, but I think they've reached their use-by. Our lack of run and speed of movement from the back half is really hurting at the moment. Neither is going to get better or quicker. Great servants who deserve a send-off match. The game appears to have passed McQualter by as well. He was such an important piece of the puzzle in 2009, but he's been worked out and now is exploited by the opposition. His tackling and defensive pressure, once the hallmark of his game, and the reason he was there, are simply not sufficient to justify his selection any more.

At the risk of raising the ire of the Raph Clarke supporters, I think the writing has been on the wall for him for some time. I was a fan of Raph in the beginning, but I think he's gone backwards for some time. I believe he played his best football in 2005. He is in his eighth season and still making the same howlers as always. He looks uncertain and hesitant when he has the ball and he continues to make basic errors that you wouldn't expect from a rookie. Has anyone ever had more chances? Time to concede defeat on this one.

Just look what Collingwood did last year. Medhurst, Lockyer, Fraser and Anthony, amongst others all had their papers stamped early in the season and were replaced with "fresh blood". Time for us to do the same. Thoughts?
Could not agree more.
Good post.
Reality is we need to improve - or at least find out if the kids will improve us.

Rds 13-end season could be some of the best practice matches our kids will get. Play them.

I want to see Lynch down back, Simpkin too at the top level. I also want to see Walsh.

Heyne I reckon aint gonna makeit.

“Yeah….nah””
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to toss in the towel, but we are starting to play new players anyway. I'd like to think we're adapting.

Collingwood have always (from my perspective) been tinkering with their list. It's always seemed very competitive to break into their seniors (but not impossible), whereas ours has always seemed like a closed-door policy (as in typical senior players always got selected before someone else who was busting their gut in the ressies). This promotes no desire to push harder. Collingwood have created a culture in regards to this. That no senior players position is safe.

My very humble opinion. Please correct me if I'm way off the mark.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

On reflection, you could probably add Peake to the list. Gwilt also needs to lift dramatically and return to his 2010 form. The way he's playing ATM indicates his form last year was a one-off. Seems to be lacking confidence. Is that an indication of a wider malaise within the team, or has he reached his limits as a player?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you here, Peake included, though I think Gwilt is going well enough, with the amount of ball going into our backline we have defended pretty well generally.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Agree with you here, Peake included, though I think Gwilt is going well enough, with the amount of ball going into our backline we have defended pretty well generally.
Agree.

No way can Gwilt be included in any discussions about players being "past it". He's a player for now and for the future, and not the only one of those players who's a tad off his best at the minute.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm am always surprised though, when Gwilt always appears to matched up on the tallest guy out there.

Personally I'd give him a lesser opponent, and keep his focus on setting up play with his left boot.

I also noticed many times late he started waving his hands to players looking to pass it off to him, he seemed to be encouraging to keep play moving. Happened quite a few times, which made me think the backmen are being encouraged to take the game on more and it's a case of changing habits.

Giving to him after everything has dried up, isn't smart play, often he will get us out of it but it's too much to expect him to perform a miracle every single time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm am always surprised though, when Gwilt always appears to matched up on the tallest guy out there.

Personally I'd give him a lesser opponent, and keep his focus on setting up play with his left boot.

I also noticed many times late he started waving his hands to players looking to pass it off to him, he seemed to be encouraging to keep play moving. Happened quite a few times, which made me think the backmen are being encouraged to take the game on more and it's a case of changing habits.

Giving to him after everything has dried up, isn't smart play, often he will get us out of it but it's too much to expect him to perform a miracle every single time.
The choice is Gwilt gets the bigger opponent or Fisher. RL certainly makes the right choice giving Fisher the easier player as he is much more damaging than Gwilt. Also it doesnt help matters that Jimmy is out of form like a few others at the moment.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

What I'm getting at with Gwilt is that we have a sameness about our back six that is hurting us. There simply isn't enough run and dash out of there to help our forwards. People wonder why we keep kicking the ball on top of Roo's head and moving the ball so slowly. It's because we don't, at the moment, take on the opposition and cut through the lines or press or whatever else you want to label it. By the time we get through at the moment, the opposition has usually got plenty of numbers back and our forwards face an up hill battle. Even a champion like Riewoldt will struggle in those circumstances.

Gwilt can hurt the opposition by foot, but at his best last year, he was also doing a lot of running that penetrated the opposition's press. He just doesn't seem to be doing it this year, whether it is out of design, necessity or poor form. Either let him off the leash, if that is what's holding him back, or try someone else. I think one of the reasons Gilbert hasn't gone forward or into the midfield more, is that we need him running and creating off half back. Tommy Lynch, while doing well at Sandy, is almost a carbon copy of Blake. More of the same style I'm afraid!

The guy I'd like to see get a crack is Tommy Walsh. There's a spot for him with Lenny on the LTI list. He has very strong hands, is quick, seems to kick very efficiently when he gets it and he won't be weighed down by long term bad habits like some of the others. He is desperate to get a go and I reckon we might as well try him now. He'd certainly provide a point of difference! It's all or nothing time.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Really good OP... totally agree.

Shame we aren't doing this after snagging a flag or two, but something to get excited about nevertheless, I think.

We may yet do some damage in 2011... but 2012 could be a cracker.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I'm am always surprised though, when Gwilt always appears to matched up on the tallest guy out there.

The choice is Gwilt gets the bigger opponent or Fisher. RL certainly makes the right choice giving Fisher the easier player as he is much more damaging than Gwilt. Also it doesnt help matters that Jimmy is out of form like a few others at the moment.
From what I saw last night, Fisher is was more damaging to us when he had the ball.

Fisher's defensive ability, marking, run and carry are A grade.
Decision making and panic with the ball is C grade.

We have too many poor decision makers / poor disposers of the ball in defence

Goddard can't play there, we need another sweeper.