Stick Fat Saints, Have Faith in Ross Lyon!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm starting to feel SO angry at the thought of some of those blokes picking up wages this week!

yeah and we are not talking about the average kind of wage either..... what they make in a week most wouldn't make in a month or two..

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I would stick fat but I have a soft on.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Game Plan looked ok to me in the first quarter ! :o

It will be interesting to hear what Ross says during the week. It should give us an idea whether they will take a new direction for the rest of the year.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I would stick fat but I have a soft on.
Thank you for that lovely piece of information, but I am sorry I can't help you with that... l :D

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
GoTheTorp
Club Player

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I would stick fat but I have a soft on.
Thank you for that lovely piece of information, but I am sorry I can't help you with that... l :D
Contact Kim Duthie 555 ima whore

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Do not sack Ross Lyon.

Do not implode.

Lets have some stability through the resurrection.

No need to burn everything down and have to rebuild it again.

It is the list that need looking at.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote: I can't bare to think going thru yet another coach.
I have to ask....

how many have you been through... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: GOLD!!! (first laugh today!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Stick Fat Saints, Have Faith in Ross Lyon!!!

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:If the typical St Kilda mentality kicks in.. when things are going wrong hey lets SACK THE COACH, I am going to go off my freaking rocker...
You mean like how Rod Butterrs "went off his freaking rocker" in 2006, when he sacked Grant Thomas, despite him having just taken the side to 3 successive finals series in a row, including consecutive Preliminary Finals in the two previous years?
We wouldn't want to do something like that again, would we, because we wouldn't want to get someone in who could take the club to even greater heights in the following 5 years, like Ross has done since then.
Please no, don't even consider that option.
You'd have to be "off your freaking rocker" to do that!
We should just "stick fat", and not even consider the option that worked so well for us last time. That sounds wise.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
spert
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:If the typical St Kilda mentality kicks in.. when things are going wrong hey lets SACK THE COACH, I am going to go off my freaking rocker...
You mean like how Rod Butterrs "went off his freaking rocker" in 2006, when he sacked Grant Thomas, despite him having just taken the side to 3 successive finals series in a row, including consecutive Preliminary Finals in the two previous years?
We wouldn't want to do something like that again, would we, because we wouldn't want to get someone in who could take the club to even greater heights in the following 5 years, like Ross has done since then.
We should just "stick fat", and not even consider the option that worked so well for us last time. That sounds wise.
How many finals games have we played under GT and RL without a premiership?

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Prelims are not Grand finals, Grant Thomas is a different story all together to Ross Lyon.. Talk about "you being off your rocker" seeing you want to repeat my words 501 times, maybe I will give it a try...

GT - a man who didn't believe in a ruckman ( well that sounds wise ha, no they are not important, of course not :roll: , they don't help one little bit getting first hands on the ball)
GT - a man who wanted to control the WHOLE football dept, in other worlds he thought he was god, he didn't need anyone else.... Hell let's concertate on player contracts instead of game plans..... Sounds wise ha....... Instead of just concentrating on being the head coach, he wanted his cake and eat it. (Yep we are sounding wise again)

Care for me to list some more problems and reasons why GT had to go and why we needed a new coach...

GT was never going to be a premiership coach, he was a prelim coach, who ended up being self centered, very opinionated and we had the umps against us for years because of his fat mouth.

Yep it would have been wise to keep him :roll:

WHAT you fail to understand is that what I am saying is lets not do the normal St Kilda thing, things are not so good, so lets get rid of the coach, Wise thing Geelong did at the end of 2006 ha.... Very wise...

In Ross Get lost!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Save yourself the bother of this argument DSG, there are so many other good sources.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 1112202869

The club had given up attempting to sway Thomas one way or the other. club officials found him so sure of his strategies, he was not just resistant to any advice but dismissive. So Thomas would either win the premiership with his players and his structures or he would be sacked. There was no longer any middle ground.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I wouldnt cite Patrick Smith as a good source

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

FFS IF someone top class if available next year we'd be negligent as a club not to consider them.

Ross is a cut above your average coach, but not necessarily the best on offer come season end.

Keep am open mind on it is all I say.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:FFS IF someone top class if available next year we'd be negligent as a club not to consider them.

Ross is a cut above your average coach, but not necessarily the best on offer come season end.

We you could only mean Malthouse.

Any other options would be first year, unproven young firebrands.

Or are you thinking Wallace, Ayres, Blight....

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

HardSaint wrote:I wouldnt cite Patrick Smith as a good source
I wouldn't write off everything he says either.

He's written lots of tripe but he nailed that article IMO.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:FFS IF someone top class if available next year we'd be negligent as a club not to consider them.

it doesn't mean instant success thou SP.. it's more time for the players to get used to yet another coach....
As for Mick Malthouse, how many years has he been coaching at Collingwood before he got them a flag ?????? Did Collingwood sack him for a possible better option after they lost their 2 GF's and remember they had a bad season the year following (2004)... So what if he was a premiership coach at West Coast... As far as Collingwood were concerned, they couldn't say for sure he would be able to do it again for them... It was 6 years after losing their last Grand final they finally won one.....

In Ross Get lost!

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Save yourself the bother of this argument DSG, there are so many other good sources.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 1112202869

The club had given up attempting to sway Thomas one way or the other. club officials found him so sure of his strategies, he was not just resistant to any advice but dismissive. So Thomas would either win the premiership with his players and his structures or he would be sacked. There was no longer any middle ground.
Thank you :) you have saved me from typing anymore on the GT subject.
Phhh and if it hadn't been for Lyon, Milney wouldn't still be playng in a St Kilda jumper...

In Ross Get lost!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Thommo has better coaching record than patrick.....better than all bar a few coaches in our history.....bit of respect.

Ross is one of those few...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

GT was an admirable fill in until they found the right guy.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Exactly my point.
(My earlier point was with reference to any suggestion of what may or may not happen at the end of the year, by the way, not what should or shouldn't happen now, in case some are suggesting he should be replaced or looked at immediately.)
We need to do what's best for the club at all times and make no apologies for doing so.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Thommo has better coaching record than patrick.....better than all bar a few coaches in our history.....bit of respect.

I was extraordinarily happy when I heard Thomas got the ass, because I believed it was absolutely time, but the fact still remains that if he'd had the same run with injuries during 2004/2005 that Lyon had in 2009/2010 and Lyon had had the sort of injuries in 2009/2010 that Thomas got in 2004/2005, you can pretty much guarantee it would have been Thomas who got us to two GF's (and probably won at least one of them) and that Lyon wouldn't have gotten us to a GF.
In 2009 alone we barely had an injury, yet still only just got over the Doggies in the Prelim. David Missen probably was the major difference between the two.
Thomas had a better list to work with (in 2004/2005), but he also took over a team that had finished last the year before and second last the year he took over and was a complete "basket case" and took them to within a kick of a GF in one year and to leading a Prelim at 3/4 time in the next, despite major injuries that would most likely have wiped us out last year, or in 2009.
Look at this year. Losing Lenny and Gardi looks to have wiped us out, yet we lost many more of our "guns" in the lead-up to the finals (and in those finals) in 2005, yet still led the Prelim till 3/4 time. Did that team coach themselves?
Ross, on the other hand, was handed a team that had just played in finals 3 years in a row and had some of the best young talent (Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Ball, Montagna, Goddard, Gram, Fisher, Gilbert, Raph Clarke, Kosi) in the comp, most of whom had finals experience, plus the likes of Gehrig, Harvey, Hayes, Milne, Hughton, Baker, Blake.
So for mine, I don't believe there's very much in it.
Some are obviously still carrying a lot of hatred for Thomas around, though, and really ought to get over it, because it was years ago and the hate will eat you alive. If you hate him that much, though, you really ought to talk to him about it, or write him a letter, or find a healthy way of dealing with it.
He was someone who was passionate about his club and did his best under the circumstances, but wasn't perfect. Time to deal with it and move on, surely, unless of course, we're all perfect ourselves.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Give them a pay cut!!!!

:twisted: Those blighters who squandered an almost six goal lead against a side with twenty fit men should have their pay docked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Maybe they should all give it to Sam Fisher!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Thommo has better coaching record than patrick.....better than all bar a few coaches in our history.....bit of respect.

I was extraordinarily happy when I heard Thomas got the ass, because I believed it was absolutely time, but the fact still remains that if he'd had the same run with injuries during 2004/2005 that Lyon had in 2009/2010 and Lyon had had the sort of injuries in 2009/2010 that Thomas got in 2004/2005, you can pretty much guarantee it would have been Thomas who got us to two GF's (and probably won at least one of them) and that Lyon wouldn't have gotten us to a GF.
In 2009 alone we barely had an injury, yet still only just got over the Doggies in the Prelim. David Missen probably was the major difference between the two.
Thomas had a better list to work with (in 2004/2005), but he also took over a team that had finished last the year before and second last the year he took over and was a complete "basket case" and took them to within a kick of a GF in one year and to leading a Prelim at 3/4 time in the next, despite major injuries that would most likely have wiped us out last year, or in 2009.
Look at this year. Losing Lenny and Gardi looks to have wiped us out, yet we lost many more of our "guns" in the lead-up to the finals (and in those finals) in 2005, yet still led the Prelim till 3/4 time. Did that team coach themselves?
Ross, on the other hand, was handed a team that had just played in finals 3 years in a row and had some of the best young talent (Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Ball, Montagna, Goddard, Gram, Fisher, Gilbert, Raph Clarke, Kosi) in the comp, most of whom had finals experience, plus the likes of Gehrig, Harvey, Hayes, Milne, Hughton, Baker, Blake.
So for mine, I don't believe there's very much in it.
Some are obviously still carrying a lot of hatred for Thomas around, though, and really ought to get over it, because it was years ago and the hate will eat you alive. If you hate him that much, though, you really ought to talk to him about it, or write him a letter, or find a healthy way of dealing with it.
He was someone who was passionate about his club and did his best under the circumstances, but wasn't perfect. Time to deal with it and move on, surely, unless of course, we're all perfect ourselves.
I've seen GT at Vlados.

I reckon HE'D eat you alive before the hate got you.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'