Concussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

westy
Club Player

Concussion

Last night on Four Corners was a feature on the effects of concussion on AFL an NRL footballers and it was quite alarming. The story featured a U.S. High School football team and the head injuries sustained by the younger players. It seems that a player can suffer brain damage without having ever been concussed! That is, they don't necessarily have to be knocked out by the impact to suffer the damage. I can't help worry about guys like Riewoldt, Lenny. Jones and even Ball and the Sellwoods, who have have all had some kind of head impact over the years. Even more concerning for me is Koschitzke who was take out buy low dog Giannsircusa years ago. We all saw what happened later while he was being interviewed by Schwartz. For a while now I have felt that he was never the same after that hit. It's all very well that various fuckwits like Brad Hardy etc., have a laugh at his expense because he has no 'awareness' but now I have to wonder.

If you have't seen the story, it is on the ABC iview

I'm livin' in a madhouse
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: Concussion

westy wrote:Last night on Four Corners was a feature on the effects of concussion on AFL an NRL footballers and it was quite alarming. The story featured a U.S. High School football team and the head injuries sustained by the younger players. It seems that a player can suffer brain damage without having ever been concussed! That is, they don't necessarily have to be knocked out by the impact to suffer the damage. I can't help worry about guys like Riewoldt, Lenny. Jones and even Ball and the Sellwoods, who have have all had some kind of head impact over the years. Even more concerning for me is Koschitzke who was take out buy low dog Giannsircusa years ago. We all saw what happened later while he was being interviewed by Schwartz. For a while now I have felt that he was never the same after that hit. It's all very well that various fuckwits like Brad Hardy etc., have a laugh at his expense because he has no 'awareness' but now I have to wonder.

Any competitive sport has it's drawbacks on the body over time. Just ask my missus who has to tolerate me richocheting off the walls every morning, until I get my knee and ankle joints working properly.

Helmets in Yankee football were originally used as protection; now they are used as another weapon against an opponent. I don't think for that reason protective helmets is an answer, but brain injury amongst footballers in general is a concern.

You have a point though. There is no doubt that Kosi is a different player post collision than pre. Whether this would have happened naturally over his development or not is a subject for conjecture.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes it's a real worry. That's why the AFL are trying to slow the game down.
"Protecting the head" is the cry and so it should be. However, you can't avoid the occasional major "collision" and that is where the real damage can be done. Not only the head, but also the spine - ask Neil Cordy, ex Footscray player about it. Nathan Burke with his soft helmet, obviously had problems (oh dear, he is now a Saints board member !!).

Sometimes I go to Etihad with a mate who has reserved seats right on the boundary. When the play gets close, the intensity and high impact contact is quite frightening and much higher than years ago. It's one reason why soccer is becoming more popular with young kids - parents can see the risks.

Unfortunately, there are no easy answers. "Soft helmets" could be a posible consideration in the future, but that will not avoid the "impact" on the head and spine.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Yes it's a real worry. That's why the AFL are trying to slow the game down.
"Protecting the head" is the cry and so it should be. However, you can't avoid the occasional major "collision" and that is where the real damage can be done. Not only the head, but also the spine - ask Neil Cordy, ex Footscray player about it. Nathan Burke with his soft helmet, obviously had problems (oh dear, he is now a Saints board member !!).

Sometimes I go to Etihad with a mate who has reserved seats right on the boundary. When the play gets close, the intensity and high impact contact is quite frightening and much higher than years ago. It's one reason why soccer is becoming more popular with young kids - parents can see the risks.

Unfortunately, there are no easy answers. "Soft helmets" could be a posible consideration in the future, but that will not avoid the "impact" on the head and spine.
What about Phil Narkle helmets? :D

St Lenny
Club Player

Re: Concussion

westy wrote:Last night on Four Corners was a feature on the effects of concussion on AFL an NRL footballers and it was quite alarming. The story featured a U.S. High School football team and the head injuries sustained by the younger players. It seems that a player can suffer brain damage without having ever been concussed! That is, they don't necessarily have to be knocked out by the impact to suffer the damage. I can't help worry about guys like Riewoldt, Lenny. Jones and even Ball and the Sellwoods, who have have all had some kind of head impact over the years. Even more concerning for me is Koschitzke who was take out buy low dog Giannsircusa years ago. We all saw what happened later while he was being interviewed by Schwartz. For a while now I have felt that he was never the same after that hit. It's all very well that various fuckwits like Brad Hardy etc., have a laugh at his expense because he has no 'awareness' but now I have to wonder.

You are very right Westy, I have never and will never forgive that dog Giannsircusa for what he did. And Koz hasnt been the same. I met a girl a couple of weeks ago whose father played for St Kilda many years ago who got a head bump that turned into a tumour. Not only could he not play footy again it totally wrecked his life, poor bugger. Its a real concern.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Good one Doc, I forgot about Phil's helmet. :lol:

Maxstar22
Club Player

I have said ever since Kosi returned from the Gia hit that he wasn't the same man/player.

IMO he seems to striggle to see under lights and sometimes seems to have a brain fade (for want of a better word).

Only a couple of weeks ago, he was standing in from of us on the wing and he was just gazing up into the stands. He seemed to be in another world and then someone yelled out "Wake Up Kosi" and he snapped out of it and he even looked for a brief moment that he had nfi where he was.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:I have said ever since Kosi returned from the Gia hit that he wasn't the same man/player.

IMO he seems to striggle to see under lights and sometimes seems to have a brain fade (for want of a better word).

Only a couple of weeks ago, he was standing in from of us on the wing and he was just gazing up into the stands. He seemed to be in another world and then someone yelled out "Wake Up Kosi" and he snapped out of it and he even looked for a brief moment that he had nfi where he was.
He also appeared to be a bit out of it during the team song last Saturday.

Then again, he did get knocked around a bit.

Then again, that may just be Kosi

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Watched a late night replay of the Four Corners programme.

Got the feeling that we know very very little about the serious consequences of not only concussion, but "any" heavy knocks to the head.

If in doubt re. hard knocks to the head, players must be rested the following week. :!:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Augurs well for Jason Gram

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:What about Phil Narkle helmets? :D
It was a beauty :P

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

That's greeat Pwoit. I forgot how big the hat was. Must have been very hot to wear.

In those days, he must have copped a lot of comment on the field about it, particularly to do with his courage!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:What about Phil Narkle helmets? :D
It was a beauty :P

It was indeed sensational. :D

Of course these days you'd need to have a second one to coordinate with the clash strip :wink:

saintjake
Club Player

Why the bagging of Gia?
It was a beautiful hip and shoulder Kosi had no awareness of him coming

Richter
SS Life Member

saintjake wrote:Why the bagging of Gia?
Wash your mouth out. Fine to shepherd, but picking a guy off by blindsiding him and spiking his head with your shoulder is low.

Kosi never been the same since then.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
St Lenny
Club Player

You are kidding right, was a dog act, if it had of been Bakes, he would have got life :evil:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Was pretty horrible. High and from behind. Unnecessary at best. Definitely cowardly.

See beauty in that and you've got a screw loose.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'