Collingwood VS StKilda Match Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Re: The two quick goals before half time

Linton Street Saint wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
chook23 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Collingwoods two quick goals before half time killed the teams confidence.
very fragile then
Yes, and can we cut down a little on the umpire rants?

I know it's frustrating, but really, the Umpires making a few dumb decisions that didn't go our way is not the difference between winning and losing.

When you are trying to find out what's going on and people keep ranting about the umpires, it gets annoying.
See sadly your wrong ..... It did cost us the game, any ascendancy, any confidence, any momentum....

People say a couple of moments of borderline cheating don't win or lose games well unfortunately it's just not true. A game is made up of a number of critical moments, it is what people tell themselves because sadly they can't do anything about it. In the end after years of gross incompetence Jeff. G still has a job and the AFL couldn't give a flying f**k.

People will say if umpiring costs you a game you must be a weak team, mentally fragile. Sadly when the odds are already stacked up against you momentum shifts and the feeling of its one rule for one team and different set for the other all has an effect, doesn't matter if your a junior sportsman or an elite athlete the feeling your being cheated is tough to overcome.
Well, they must be breeding 'em weak nowadays.
I played AFL from about 7 years old to about 17 years old, school and local Footy, winning and losing sides, and I never ever gave a thought to what the umpire was doing, just got on with it.

Apart from a few individuals having the occasional dummy spit about a decision, I can't remember any team that I played with having a collective feeling one way or another, you were just winning or losing, having a go or slacking off as individuals.

I find it difficult to believe that things have changed, but if teams are going to pack it in mentally, when a couple of decisions don't go their way, they aint gonna get far.

Linton Street Saint
Club Player

Re: The two quick goals before half time

Loyally Numbed wrote:
Linton Street Saint wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
chook23 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Collingwoods two quick goals before half time killed the teams confidence.
very fragile then
Yes, and can we cut down a little on the umpire rants?

I know it's frustrating, but really, the Umpires making a few dumb decisions that didn't go our way is not the difference between winning and losing.

When you are trying to find out what's going on and people keep ranting about the umpires, it gets annoying.
See sadly your wrong ..... It did cost us the game, any ascendancy, any confidence, any momentum....

People say a couple of moments of borderline cheating don't win or lose games well unfortunately it's just not true. A game is made up of a number of critical moments, it is what people tell themselves because sadly they can't do anything about it. In the end after years of gross incompetence Jeff. G still has a job and the AFL couldn't give a flying f**k.

People will say if umpiring costs you a game you must be a weak team, mentally fragile. Sadly when the odds are already stacked up against you momentum shifts and the feeling of its one rule for one team and different set for the other all has an effect, doesn't matter if your a junior sportsman or an elite athlete the feeling your being cheated is tough to overcome.
Well, they must be breeding 'em weak nowadays.
I played AFL from about 7 years old to about 17 years old, school and local Footy, winning and losing sides, and I never ever gave a thought to what the umpire was doing, just got on with it.

Apart from a few individuals having the occasional dummy spit about a decision, I can't remember any team that I played with having a collective feeling one way or another, you were just winning or losing, having a go or slacking off as individuals.

I find it difficult to believe that things have changed, but if teams are going to pack it in mentally, when a couple of decisions don't go their way, they aint gonna get far.
Missing the bigger picture, When those decisions become inescapably and directly linked to quick and easy goals leading to scoreboard pressure especially after almost a quarter of an arm wrestle the flow on effects are massive.

The Sainter
Club Player

The umpiring was so one sided in the first half it became a joke. how many times did they they get caught with the ball yet never got penalised. Harry O'brien just dropped it cold to the ground in front of the ump yet play went on plus Dempster took a great mark in their goal square , yet was not paid and Davis snapped a goal. I am certainly not blaming them for our big defeat but it seems the Magpies are a protected species.
Polo seems like a startled rabbit when he get the ball in the open never seeming to know what to do. The good thing tonight were our first gamers when they were given a chance plus Steven and Armitage. Keep playing them Ross, they with a few others will be our future

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Yes. A few posters have mentioned our young players, but they were not the ones who let us down. I thought Simpkin had the better of Dawes, and Ledger played alright when he came on. I cant for the life of me work out why Simpkin was subbedoff. Would do his confidence no good.