39,000 - wake up Ross/St Kilda!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scottish Saint
Club Player

I honestly don't understand people who don't like the G - it's so much better than the other place.

miskycat
Club Player

39,000? Oh, I thought you were talking about our membership numbers... :?:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Fans will go if we win - even if we only kick 10 goals in a game. Fans will also go if its exciting high scoring football (which clearly we wont be getting)

Fans will stop going if
> we butcher the ball continuously by foot
> we kick it high to Reiwoldt when he is 1 on 3 - or over Reiwoldts head when he is clearly out on a lead
> our forwards miss goals they really should get
> lose games we should win

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

It is not enjoyable paying $8.90 for a crappy red in a plastic cup. And I will be darned if I am drinking that other p*ss they list as beer. The MCG is a disgrace in that sense.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Fans will go if we win - even if we only kick 10 goals in a game. Fans will also go if its exciting high scoring football (which clearly we wont be getting)

Fans will stop going if
> we butcher the ball continuously by foot
> we kick it high to Reiwoldt when he is 1 on 3 - or over Reiwoldts head when he is clearly out on a lead
> our forwards miss goals they really should get
> lose games we should win
Great points.

People are busier than ever these days, and if the club doesn't fight hard to keep/entertain fans, they'll walk away.

We need to create compelling reasons to attend matches these days, otherwise the bandwagoners will drift away.

And our club has them in spades. We need to give them every reason to attend, not the other way round.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

This is the point.

You need to give the fans something to hang their hat on.

Winning games is one thing.
If you are not winning you need to be exciting.
If you are neither of these then you need to have real crowd pleasers in the side.
If you can't offer that then you need a bright future with a bunch of young exciting talent to create supporter interest.

We have none of the above and because of this the supporters simply will not go.

Saturday night was just about the worse combination of things from a Saints supporters view possible.
A side that looks unlikely to win but very likely to play dull conservative footy. No real up and coming talent to fire the belly on show. The excitement machines, the players who can do something mercurial in other words, in the side Roo, Gilbert and Goddard all horribly out of form. At the MCG on a cold night.

If the club want to improve the crowd they need to give them a reason to show up and that reason cannot simply be "Harden the **** up."

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dear Ross,

2005 was 2005.
2009 was 2009
We are now fast approaching 2012.

I know you have said you have faced this. But you dont seem to have in reality. You are still living like it is 2009. Time to forget the past and look to the future.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Dear Ross,

2005 was 2005.
2009 was 2009
We are now fast approaching 2012.

I know you have said you have faced this. But you dont seem to have in reality. You are still living like it is 2009. Time to forget the past and look to the future.
"Thanks Con. Duly noted" 

Ross Lyon (via Dr Spaceman)

bozza1980
Club Player

Yeah, no reason to watch the Cats and Saints fight it out.

The closest thing we have to an actual rival with a true hatred born about or around the 2004 Night GF.

Last 5 games include 4 games decided by less than 2 goals with 3 decided by a kick or less.

The Saints enter the game having won 3 of 4, and of late had matched up well against the Cats.

Yeah, no reason at all.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

It was a St Kilda dominated crowd, and it was the Cats supporters who didn't turn up. Trains are difficult at night from Geelong, plus the West Gate roadworks. There was a real lack of opposition supporters in the crowd and that is recognised in this article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/c ... 6077672034
LIFE is good when you're a Geelong supporter.

Unbeaten in June, you can sit snugly on the sofa down the highway knowing the lads are almost certain to get the job done.

And judging by last night's lousy St Kilda-dominated crowd of 39,539 at the MCG, plenty took the option of Belmont over Jolimont.

With fires roaring in the background, not one of those stay-at-home Geelong fans would have been left disappointed.
Some posters are looking for any opportunity to whinge!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Outnumbered in a big way in the crowd again yesterday (out of a huge 29,000). When you're getting that many less than even North (even at a North home game), at our home ground, when both teams are fighting for a spot in the 8, only 9 months after playing in back to back Grand Finals, you'd hope the alarm bells would be ringing at the club.
In a marketing sense, our footy team is poison. The club had better hope we don't "bottom-out", with Ross still employing the same sort of tactics and "style", or we may not have anyone at all (supporting us) going to watch our games.
The sort of numbers we're getting to our games at the moment would be about the equivalent to how many we got during the darkest times in the early 2000's (relative to the overall growth in crowd numbers since then), I'd imagine, which is saying something.
I'd say St Kilda games are a "die-hards" only zone at the moment.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sam23
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Outnumbered in a big way in the crowd again yesterday (out of a huge 29,000). When you're getting that many less than even North (even at a North home game), at our home ground, when both teams are fighting for a spot in the 8, only 9 months after playing in back to back Grand Finals, you'd hope the alarm bells would be ringing at the club.
In a marketing sense, our footy team is poison. The club had better hope we don't "bottom-out", with Ross still employing the same sort of tactics and "style", or we may not have anyone at all (supporting us) going to watch our games.
The sort of numbers we're getting to our games at the moment would be about the equivalent to how many we got during the darkest times in the early 2000's (relative to the overall growth in crowd numbers since then), I'd imagine, which is saying something.

Oh rubbish.
Rd 7 2000 vs. Kangaroos - 21870
Rd 22 2000 vs. Kangaroos - 16310
2001 - Played Kangaroos @ Manuka
Rd 14 2000 vs. Kangaroos - 23864

average: just over 20 000.

In 2009, in the midst of a 10 game winning streak we drew 30962, this game was played on a saturday afternoon, later in the year, 30522. So whats that about 1000 extra people at each game.

In 2010 - we drew 32006 and 23118.

So in our 2 glory years, the crowds we averaged against the Roos were - 29152

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fast forward 6 months, we draw just under 30k against the Ross is the worst drawing slot of the week from a crowd perspective.

Now just to completely drive home the point that you are completely and utterly WRONG heres some more crowds from the Roos this year @ Etihad.

Rd 2 - 40578
Rd 5 - 36461
Rd 6 - 16014
Rd 8 - 23536
Rd 10 - 24267
Rd 11 - 18185
Rd 13 - 42329

average: 28754 - with the 40k's coming against Coll and Ess driving up the rankings. We drew 47000 and 62000 against Collingwood and Essendon respectively.

And while I'm at it why don't we look at some of the AMAZING crowds we have seen in sunday night football year -

Western Bulldogs vs. Hawthorn Rd 9 Etihad Stadium - 30747
Melbourne vs. Adelaide Rd 7 MCG - 19987

And now lets have a look at the best crowd at Etihad Stadium this year on a late sunday.

St. Kilda vs. Essendon Rd 3 Etihad Stadium - 47762

Surely not?

But hey - don't let me stop you guys sprouting complete sensationalist RUBBISH with some facts.

Fire away.

Goddard.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Outnumbered in a big way in the crowd again yesterday (out of a huge 29,000). When you're getting that many less than even North (even at a North home game), at our home ground, when both teams are fighting for a spot in the 8, only 9 months after playing in back to back Grand Finals, you'd hope the alarm bells would be ringing at the club.

Oh rubbish.
Rd 7 2000 vs. Kangaroos - 21870
Rd 22 2000 vs. Kangaroos - 16310
2001 - Played Kangaroos @ Manuka
Rd 14 2000 vs. Kangaroos - 23864

average: just over 20 000.

In 2009, in the midst of a 10 game winning streak we drew 30962, this game was played on a saturday afternoon, later in the year, 30522. So whats that about 1000 extra people at each game.

In 2010 - we drew 32006 and 23118.

So in our 2 glory years, the crowds we averaged against the Roos were - 29152

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fast forward 6 months, we draw just under 30k against the Ross is the worst drawing slot of the week from a crowd perspective.

Now just to completely drive home the point that you are completely and utterly WRONG heres some more crowds from the Roos this year @ Etihad.

Rd 2 - 40578
Rd 5 - 36461
Rd 6 - 16014
Rd 8 - 23536
Rd 10 - 24267
Rd 11 - 18185
Rd 13 - 42329

average: 28754 - with the 40k's coming against Coll and Ess driving up the rankings. We drew 47000 and 62000 against Collingwood and Essendon respectively.

And while I'm at it why don't we look at some of the AMAZING crowds we have seen in sunday night football year -

Western Bulldogs vs. Hawthorn Rd 9 Etihad Stadium - 30747
Melbourne vs. Adelaide Rd 7 MCG - 19987

And now lets have a look at the best crowd at Etihad Stadium this year on a late sunday.

St. Kilda vs. Essendon Rd 3 Etihad Stadium - 47762

Surely not?

But hey - don't let me stop you guys sprouting complete sensationalist RUBBISH with some facts.

Fire away.
Does the cold weather come in to it? They should look at central heating.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It was an AWAY Game and The Wing on the City side 34-36 was almost like a home game where there was so much Red, Black & White. Lets wait until we play North at OUR Home game and then we can debate it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
I served my time in the cold wind and rain during the 70s, 80s and 90s.
Now I am almost 60, it takes something exhilarating and self participation to get me out in the cold. Something like skiing in Europe.
Ditto.

saint tash
Club Player

And v the filth looks like a certain sell-out.

Oh when the saints go charging in!