Stange umpiring?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Stange umpiring?

Saw a couple of strange decisions yesterday which went Port's way, to do with head-high tackles, and that is where the player is leaning over the ball, or is leaning over with the ball in possesion, then goes forward with the head into the front-on body of the stationary Saints player then gets a free for head high contact. I think Milne was one that got a free against, but saw this again later. I wouldn't think running into a stationary player with your head, was a free of any kind??

bergsone
SS Life Member

Saw it in other games as well,bend down pick up ball and push forward head first,dangerous practise.No contact to head maybe should read no contact using head.Becomming a real or should I say more of a grey area

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Interesting one...... we must protect the head, but what do we do with those who use the head as a battering ram in packs?

Perhaps the rule should be interpreted as where the tacklers hands are rather than where the tacklees head is?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I believe that Gieschen has highlighted this particular decision previously?

IIRC he stated that it should not be a free kick if the player is stationary (ie not moving forward)

If the player with the ball contacts the opposition player below the kness then surely it would be a free kick to the 'standing' player for 'below the knee contact'?

I wonder what would happen if a player was moving backwards and his opponent 'dived' head first into him, causing contact above the neck?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: If the player with the ball contacts the opposition player below the kness then surely it would be a free kick to the 'standing' player for 'below the knee contact'?
Is there a rule for 'below the knee contact'?
tripping?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Stange...............

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: If the player with the ball contacts the opposition player below the kness then surely it would be a free kick to the 'standing' player for 'below the knee contact'?
tripping?
It relates back to tackling, nothing above the shoulders or below the knees.
Any contact above the shoulders, whether a tackle or not, is free kicked.
What about below the knees?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
dragit wrote:
tripping?
The head is sacrosanct as they say, not sure they are too worried about shins and ankles though. A low tackle is a trip obviously, but the guy holding the ball diving head-first into a pack probably won't be pinged for a trip…

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

In the thread title you mispelt the word "garbage" just thaught id point that out :lol:

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
dragit wrote:
tripping?
The head is sacrosanct as they say, not sure they are too worried about shins and ankles though. A low tackle is a trip obviously, but the guy holding the ball diving head-first into a pack probably won't be pinged for a trip…
It's actually quite an interesting point you raise.
During a 'push/shove' no free kick seems to get paid until somebody gets 'touched' above the shoulders.

What is the free kick for?
Which rule has been infringed?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It has been a free most times when a player going for the ball barrels in causing the contact, they usually get rewarded. the annoying thing is Schnieder got hit in the head while bending forward to pick up the ball and got told he initiated by ducking? I think you would say that could be clarified by don't clap umpires or you will never get free kicks awarded.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:It has been a free most times when a player going for the ball barrels in causing the contact, they usually get rewarded. the annoying thing is Schnieder got hit in the head while bending forward to pick up the ball and got told he initiated by ducking? I think you would say that could be clarified by don't clap umpires or you will never get free kicks awarded.
It's actually become a joke now.
Even commentators have raised the 'umpire clapping' when discussing blatant free kicks not being paid to Schneider.

Staggering that all umpires can seemingly be in consistantly bad postions so as to not see these blatant infringements against him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I know plugger will say that the umpires we get are because we are crap and don't play block busters, but the umpiring is worse this season than any other and not just our games. That patch of umpiring where the ball didn't seem too get back into play for about 10 minutes because of a multitude of questionable frees and 50 MPs. The North game last week where we seemed to infringe before making the contest, forward 50 frees against us and general unbalanced decisions just make me think they are on the take. Gieshen is responsible and his patronising review that justifies even the most stupid call and concedes on one trivial decision to make them look fair.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:In the thread title you mispelt the word "garbage" just thaught id point that out :lol:

BANG BANG
yeah...i think it says gabage

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

free kick count...18 to 30......says it all really.......and the schneider fiasco is now beyond a joke and is bordering on the ridiculous.....if you read this giesh...get f****** real ....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:free kick count...18 to 30......says it all really.......and the schneider fiasco is now beyond a joke and is bordering on the ridiculous.....if you read this giesh...get f****** real ....
In fairness to giesh, he is just an impotent puppet.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Solar
Saintsational Legend

The strange ones were

Two port players have the ball, chips holding the ball against one. Chips is called holding the ball against him despite not actually having the ball. Fisher just stares in disbelief?

Free kick to port, whistle goes, port player decides to take the advantage, gets pressured and his handpass is turned over. Umpire brings it back, not because play stopped, not because the player taking the advantage was under pressure..... no it was because "the player did not hear the whistle".....HUH?

Also have you seen a match where one team not only dominates the clearances, the inside 50's and scoreboard but is also on the end of some thuggury and yet has half the free kicks???

Oh and the whole schneider and milne thing is a joke. Blight on the game. Up there with staging.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

With the relentless tackling on the person with the ball, Umpires are under "enormous" pressure to make calls and clearly, they make many mistakes, some a lot more costly than others! They seem to be in a mindset of "adjudicating" on every move, every second. At this rate, they can only make mistakes! For them it's a "fear of failure" mentality, which inevitably breaks down.

What can the AFL do :?: My view is for Umpires to take a "less technical" approach and let the game flow. In that way, they can focus on the major mistakes, which results in fewer free kicks, but "warranted" ones I would think. As supporters, I we can live with that - "the spirit of the game." :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:The strange ones were

Two port players have the ball, chips holding the ball against one. Chips is called holding the ball against him despite not actually having the ball. Fisher just stares in disbelief?

Free kick to port, whistle goes, port player decides to take the advantage, gets pressured and his handpass is turned over. Umpire brings it back, not because play stopped, not because the player taking the advantage was under pressure..... no it was because "the player did not hear the whistle".....HUH?

Also have you seen a match where one team not only dominates the clearances, the inside 50's and scoreboard but is also on the end of some thuggury and yet has half the free kicks???

Oh and the whole schneider and milne thing is a joke. Blight on the game. Up there with staging.

strange world...i'm fully in agreement with you..... :wink: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I heard too - "the player did not hear the whistle." Talk about "an assumption.!"

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
stinger wrote:free kick count...18 to 30......says it all really.......and the schneider fiasco is now beyond a joke and is bordering on the ridiculous.....if you read this giesh...get f****** real ....
In fairness to giesh, he is just an impotent puppet.
yep. that's fair. :lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Furphy
Club Player

I'm 52 and bad umpiring has been synonymous with the Sainters since I can remember. It was also with the club formerly known as South Melbourne, the club formerly known as Fitzroy & the club formerly known as Footscray. Whilst certain other clubs got away with murder (hello Carlscum, Poos & Wees & Bummers)