St Kilda moves to keep Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This is how I reckon a recent telephone conversation would have gone..

Adelaide official: Hello Rossy

RL: Hi Adelaide official

AO: Just thought I'd call to see if you were happy

RL: Yeah it's all good. The off season was a bit bumpy and the first half of this season hasn't been flash.

AO: So you're happy?

RL: Yep

AO: No probs Rossy just thought I'd ring to see if everthing was ok.

RL: Thanks for the call. It is very much appreciated. (hang up)

Ross's next conversation could have been with Westy and Nettlefold to let them know about the enquiry.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

That's probably exactly what happened (or similar), Cairnsman. Perhaps even a couple more incoming calls !

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Zac Attack wrote:As much as I really like Ross the Boss he is slightly over-rated on this forum probably due to our history of some really shithouse coaches.

Ross inherited a list/core group of players that were always going to be in the top 4 teams for a good few years. Now is his major challenge of finding a few more players to add to the core to give us a real shot again at the flag that we have come so close to.
We've actually had good coaches but ordinary players & even worse boards!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Zac Attack wrote:As much as I really like Ross the Boss he is slightly over-rated on this forum probably due to our history of some really shithouse coaches.

Ross inherited a list/core group of players that were always going to be in the top 4 teams for a good few years. Now is his major challenge of finding a few more players to add to the core to give us a real shot again at the flag that we have come so close to.
We've actually had good coaches but ordinary players & even worse boards!
Are you talking about the St Kilda Board of Directors or saintsational.com? :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I agree Eastern, it would have been better to keep things quiet until all is settled and then make the big announcement.

However, coming as a statement from Michael Nettlefold, it's obviously a planned strategy - perhaps to keep the wolves away, so to speak.

The media will now start buzzing with speculation such as "when will it be signed," "problems in settling Lyon's contact" and other idiotic comments.
not necesarily an announcment from Michael But may have been in response to a question.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

this is the current statistical status of current coaches.
http://afl.allthestats.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=60

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Wow, another great get Bratty, with Craig now gone Lyon moves to 5th amongst current coaches for games coached.

Just goes to show what a ruthless business it is.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Are you still here ?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Wow, another great get Bratty, with Craig now gone Lyon moves to 5th amongst current coaches for games coached.

Just goes to show what a ruthless business it is.
Interesting to me is the comparison figures for Lyon and Harvey.
IIRC Harvey refused to be interviewed for the Saints job adn instead waited another year before getting teh Freo gig.

The Saints under Lyon seem to have fared better than Freo under Harvey (albeit neither side has won a flag).

attila_Siposs
Club Player

sheedy was at Essendon for 20 years an won 4 flags. if Rossy can deliver that i'd be very happy with that

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

attila_Siposs wrote:sheedy was at Essendon for 20 years an won 4 flags. if Rossy can deliver that i'd be very happy with that
especially with your boy playing in all 4! :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
attila_Siposs wrote:sheedy was at Essendon for 20 years an won 4 flags. if Rossy can deliver that i'd be very happy with that
That would be tough. He would have to play until he was 39.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Who said they have to be evenly spaced over the 20 year period?

Maybe we could win 4 in a row????

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ross's record over the complete list of coaches stacks up quite well
http://afl.allthestats.com/index.php?op ... qry=1&pg=2

only 5 coaches who have coached over 100 games ( so more than one - 4 years ) with better averages
Hafey, Hughes, McHale, Reynolds, Pianto and Coleman

with Ross coming in 37th.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Was the list really that good.

Peckett and Powell were finished. Hamil and Goose were finished. Gehrig, Voss and Thompson had one more year left. Kosi has developed into half the player we all thought he was going be, Ball had a wrecked groin and never recaptured his 05 All Australian form, X could never stay on the park, Raph doesn't justify his top ten pick, no quality ruckman.

That leaves a core of Joey, Dal, Roo, BJ, Lenny and Fisher as our top six (if you count Milne as A-grade, that's a top seven). Beneath that are good, solid B graders at best.

Really, I think the list was over-rated by 06.

He didn't exactly inherit what Chris Scott has.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Who said they have to be evenly spaced over the 20 year period?

Maybe we could win 4 in a row????
MM, you're communicating with a laterally challenged idiot, don't even bother!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
And that would surely put Ross in line for coach of the TOTC :)

As long as he's got a pulse of course :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:

Peckett and Powell were finished. Hamil and Goose were finished. Gehrig, Voss and Thompson had one more year left. Kosi has developed into half the player we all thought he was going be, Ball had a wrecked groin and never recaptured his 05 All Australian form, X could never stay on the park, Raph doesn't justify his top ten pick, no quality ruckman.

That leaves a core of Joey, Dal, Roo, BJ, Lenny and Fisher as our top six (if you count Milne as A-grade, that's a top seven). Beneath that are good, solid B graders at best.

Exactly, it was a very unbalanced list, 6-8 true a-graders, not many b's though, whereas geelong had similar a's but then some really solid b-grade players - & nearly all had decent footskills…

I don't like to bag individuals, but our bottom six for a number of years would have been one of the worst of any finals contenders… Just makes Lyon seem brilliant in my mind.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As i stated in another thread

I would sew him up until 2015

I cannot see a better prospect in that time.....available or not

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

Exactly, it was a very unbalanced list, 6-8 true a-graders, not many b's though, whereas geelong had similar a's but then some really solid b-grade players - & nearly all had decent footskills…

I don't like to bag individuals, but our bottom six for a number of years would have been one of the worst of any finals contenders… Just makes Lyon seem brilliant in my mind.
But come on, inheriting a 'top 6' of Joey, Dal, Roo, BJ, Lenny and Fisher is pretty formiddable!
There was also Gwilt, Milne, Gilbert, Kosi and Gram!

So although the list had lost balance in terms of the age/experience demographic, it was still very good.
And on top of that, pretty much all of those guys hadn't hit their prime yet in terms of their physical maturity. So they were all going to get better.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Here, here great news!

jays
Club Player

great news imo and great coach

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Ross is the right coach for us. I am a big fan, and would be very angry if we let him go.

Carpe Diem
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
dragit wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

But come on, inheriting a 'top 6' of Joey, Dal, Roo, BJ, Lenny and Fisher is pretty formiddable!

So although the list had lost balance in terms of the age/experience demographic, it was still very good.
And on top of that, pretty much all of those guys hadn't hit their prime yet in terms of their physical maturity. So they were all going to get better.
Agreed, a great top 6, but overall, thin on depth.

Not what I would call 'arguably inheriting the best list in the comp' which is what plenty of Lyon critics have previously said.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
dragit wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

Agreed, a great top 6, but overall, thin on depth.

Not what I would call 'arguably inheriting the best list in the comp' which is what plenty of Lyon critics have previously said.
Getting to multiple GF's with Blake, Baker, Dawson, Eddy, Jones, Clarke, McQualter & Dempster is pretty amazing, love them all but, that's 8 guys who don't really want the footy in their hands and have pretty serious problems with disposal, then throw in Ray, Gram, Gilbert and Kosi who can be temprimental too… a lot went right for us to get so far IMO.