Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sam was terrible tonight. His decision making was worse than his kicking which is a worry.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Sam was terrible tonight. His decision making was worse than his kicking which is a worry.
Well maybe he needs to be told to sink the slipper when he gets the ball - boot it 50 to 60m and get it out of the danger zone

A lucky bounce here a lucky bounce there who knows - better to do that a give the team time to structure up again than turn it over close to goal

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Fisher and Milne were also sub par.

Shall we individualise them for our own morbid keyboard heroism while we're at it?
in respect obrien smashed him last night.-

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Gilbo has talent, it's just his flaws are too easily exploited. Obviously his right foot is non exsistant, and his left foot is sub par at best.

Also in his break out year, no one knew how to handle him. He had his side step and he would take people on, now people expect it, and know to corall him onto his right foot.

Simply if Sam wants to be good enough, he has to improve those elements of his game.

I am honestly pretty scared with the ball in our backline. Gwilt, Fish and BJ when he is down there are the only one's who can dispose of it to the team's advantage under pressure. The others like Dawson, Bakes, Blake etc can do the simple option or dish it off, but very rarely can use it like the Gwilt or Fish.

Carpe Diem
georgie girl
Club Player

I think Sam's only fault is his disposal.
With regards the decision making. That problem is often caused by the game plan. Backline forces a turn over, someone comes racing out of a pack, under pressure and looks up the field and there is NO ONE in front of them. That means they have to look sideways for a handball. Much more difficult and often makes them look indecisive. When the team is all up and running in numbers it's ok but if they don't work hard or if they are tiring it can make the guy with the ball look very bad.
This is also where Brett Peake's speed, running and work rate have really been an asset this year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he's a midfielder, not based on his game last night, but for awhile now.

His faults are to exposed in defence.

His stoppage work is excellent, he finds it, he tackles well, he could run and carry.

I'd love him in there, and would swap him with Dal to see how it went.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I reckon he's a midfielder, not based on his game last night, but for awhile now.

His stoppage work is excellent, he finds it, he tackles well, he could run and carry.

I also think he's a mid. Smash and bash. He has fast hands and loves the physicality. Maybe if a Simpkin type comes on?

I also think he gets found out more when Gwilt ain't there.

He isn't the most skilful. That's nothing new. That why I find criticising him somewhat extraordinary. He is what he is. But his work rate is exceptional on and off the ball.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
SainterK wrote:I reckon he's a midfielder, not based on his game last night, but for awhile now.

I also think he's a mid. Smash and bash. He has fast hands and loves the physicality. Maybe if a Simpkin type comes on?

I also think he gets found out more when Gwilt ain't there.

He isn't the most skilful. That's nothing new. That why I find criticising him somewhat extraordinary. He is what he is. But his work rate is exceptional on and off the ball.
Good posts peeps :)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I actually thought his work around stoppages tonight was particularly good.
Agree...

SainterK wrote: Sure he shanked a few, but so did some other senior guys.

Ah...BUT this where we lost the game last night.

And in particular with Gram and Gilbert...whereas the Pies off half back had many bullet like accurate passes to team-mates up field.

Congrats to Peake who was tireless in his running and pace to create options to kick....to only see many such opportunities wasted with balls kicked over his head to opponents.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....