The Loss We Had To Have

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Loss We Had To Have

You know I'm right :wink: :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

It really did highlight what RL and co. need to do on the recruiting front. The lack of effective key forwards will kill us against the best. We need to look for key position forwards especially, and generally put a priority on footskills as we have a few ball-butchers unfortunately. Another key back would be good, so we can release Fisher to possibly a forward role next season.

Zac Attack
Club Player

spert wrote:It really did highlight what RL and co. need to do on the recruiting front. The lack of effective key forwards will kill us against the best. We need to look for key position forwards especially, and generally put a priority on footskills as we have a few ball-butchers unfortunately. Another key back would be good, so we can release Fisher to possibly a forward role next season.
We kicked 10.10 and they kicked 14.5 despite controlling more of the match.

What does that say?

We created enough chances however the conversion was not good enough.

McEvoy's simple miss, Polo's effort and Goddard's poster killed us otherwise we would have been close to even at three quarter time.

The forward line was okay.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
spert wrote:It really did highlight what RL and co. need to do on the recruiting front. The lack of effective key forwards will kill us against the best. We need to look for key position forwards especially, and generally put a priority on footskills as we have a few ball-butchers unfortunately. Another key back would be good, so we can release Fisher to possibly a forward role next season.
We kicked 10.10 and they kicked 14.5 despite controlling more of the match.

What does that say?

We created enough chances however the conversion was not good enough.

McEvoy's simple miss, Polo's effort and Goddard's poster killed us otherwise we would have been close to even at three quarter time.

The forward line was okay.
concur.

1. they were cramping up at 3/4 time, so we were we, this game was played at grand final intensity.

2. we gave them 5 goals through unforced errors.

3. we had 2 posters, and 3 other gettable goals missed.

4. they hit some BS goals, the bouncer from swan, and two 'super goals' from outside 50.

our defence WAS rock solid (this was their second lowest score for the year).

Our attack was good against the BEST defence on stats in the competition. We had more inside 50s.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH LYONS PLAN, what we failed is in execution.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

question; could we have done with Gamble last night?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:question; could we have done with Gamble last night?
Answer. Absolutely. A lead up forward would have helped.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Thought we played well. Certainly not out of our depth against the best. They'll learn a lot from that loss I believe..... a lot. Agree with what others have said about selection as well.... Would have loved another hit up forward to go to. Gees the way the kick the ball to Roo sometimes.... to his feet... on his head.... He busts his guts.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Thought we played well. Certainly not out of our depth against the best. They'll learn a lot from that loss I believe..... a lot.
I'm not sure what they learn from last night. We've played them before, beaten them, and been beaten by them.

If anyone knows Collingwood - it's us!

What I think we would take from that game, is the belief that we can beat them.

We won 2 quarters, and the quarters that we lost were lost in the last 5 minutes.

We won key statistical areas, but let ourselves down in areas that we can control ourselves.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Thought we played well. Certainly not out of our depth against the best. They'll learn a lot from that loss I believe..... a lot.
I'm not sure what they learn from last night. We've played them before, beaten them, and been beaten by them.

We won 2 quarters, and the quarters that we lost were lost in the last 5 minutes.

We won key statistical areas, but let ourselves down in areas that we can control ourselves.
Yeah.. And what they'll learn isn't about Collingwood it's about us....

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:

What we learn is that if we play them in a final, they still have Dawes and Shaw to come back...

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Everyone said that it was the loss we had to have and I have some sentiment with that thought going in last night.

However, the boys gave 110% and we could have/should have won. Poor delivery/kicking skills were the players fault to be contemplated them and I hope that Ross sticks it up them on this - they have had all season and pre-season to work on their kicking skills!

Selectors - conservatisim in playing an extra backman cost us "opportunity to score."

Coaching - Davis was left alone "all night" and was best on ground! He should have been covered.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:What we learn is that if we play them in a final, they still have Dawes and Shaw to come back...
So who goes out?

If Dawes inclusion, is for a dangerous sneaky smaller Fasalo type I'm ok with that, as I'd back our guys against their bomby style they have grown accustomed to.

Shaw comes back, Leon gets less of the ball surely?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

They do a lot of damage in time on. It's one of their trademarks. Is it the altitude training they are so fond of?

What can we do about it? How can we ramp it up at the end of each quarter?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm in general agreemnet with the sentiments expressed by the OP. True, they had Shaw, and Dawes missing. We had Lenny Hayes and Jimmy Gwilt out, who knows how we would have gone with those players in. I have NO time for taking satisfaction in "honourable losses" for they are still losses, however, the game last night showed that the ragpies CAN be beaten and our SKILL and EXECUTION let us down at vital times in the game.
I have felt for some time now that Geelong are going to be premiers. I watched Davis doing his bit of lairising last night and thought to myself, you'll not get the chance to do that with the likes of Chapman, Bartel, Johnson and Selwood around. They say that "Pride comes before a fall" and I have the feeling that the ragpies "fall" will come on their biggest stage.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)