Looking like St Kilda v Ess Week 1 of Finals..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

paddy
Club Player

^^^^ Good post

We are a different team now, much more settled, composed and optimistic.

If we cant beat the bommers, we souldn't be in the finals.

I agree that they probably have the psychological edge, but our defensive structures are much more solid now and, as good as hurley is, like to see him go up against one of our hardened defenders.... he'll be terrified.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

paddy wrote:^^^^ Good post

I agree that they probably have the psychological edge, but our defensive structures are much more solid now and, as good as hurley is, like to see him go up against one of our hardened defenders.... he'll be terrified.
Unfortunately this logic doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Yes we are a better side now than when we lost to them earlier in the year. However, we are not as good a side as when we lost to them last year or in 2009 and they are a significantly better side than then.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I find it ludicrous, this new love everywhere for Hurley! Ok, he is/will be a great player but FFS, he has had an average year! Very flashy a la Ryder!

So he plays a blinder against the Dogs! whoopee-f******-do!! So he should!!

I'd be worried about their defence leaking 15 goals to a crap team, not believing the hype about Hurley.

Can you imagine Maher watching dawks vShytney and flogging over franklin, rioli and goodes? and then watching the bummers train and raining his DNA all over Hurley?

A pause...

YES I CAN!!

PLease note - nothing personal against Hurley - love him to be with us - but this was ridiculous, as was the fawning over franklin/rioli playing against one of the worst teams for awhile

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I find it ludicrous, this new love everywhere for Hurley! Ok, he is/will be a great player but FFS, he has had an average year! Very flashy a la Ryder!

So he plays a blinder against the Dogs! whoopee-f******-do!! So he should!!

I'd be worried about their defence leaking 15 goals to a crap team, not believing the hype about Hurley.

Can you imagine Maher watching dawks vShytney and flogging over franklin, rioli and goodes? and then watching the bummers train and raining his DNA all over Hurley?

A pause...

YES I CAN!!

PLease note - nothing personal against Hurley - love him to be with us - but this was ridiculous, as was the fawning over franklin/rioli playing against one of the worst teams for awhile

Articulated my thinking perfectly Stevie, esp the bit in bold.

They are a sieve. We are not.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintly
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I will cry a freakin' river if we play and lose to Essendon in the first week of the finals…
it aint going to be easy trying to beat essendon 1st week of the finals. am not looking forward to that!!!!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

SinCitySaint wrote:
paddy wrote:^^^^ Good post

Unfortunately this logic doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Yes we are a better side now than when we lost to them earlier in the year. However, we are not as good a side as when we lost to them last year or in 2009 and they are a significantly better side than then.
We are not the same team, playing the same game plan, and neither are they.

Too many variables to bother going into, but on paper there is no reason we shouldn't beat them in an Elimination Final.