Question? GWS 17 yo's?? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Question? GWS 17 yo's?? !!

I've got it in my head somewhere that GWS have four 17 Year Olds (including a wonder kid from WA) that they MUST trade out during this year's trade period. Am I correct? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

7. Incentive to other clubs trading with GWS Giants in the 2011 and 2012 post-season:
GWS Giants to be given access to four 17-year-olds born in the January to April 1994 window, with all players to be traded to other clubs. Selections will be allocated to GWS Giants so the club can trade for established players, but the club will not have access to these 17-year-olds. If the four trades are not completed in the 2011 post-season, the balance of up to four trades may be used in the 2012 trading period.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
:?:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I believe that we should get involved in these trades even if it means getting rid of a quality player.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I believe that we should get involved in these trades even if it means getting rid of a quality player.
Goddard would be worth 2 of them, but do we want to do that trade? !!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

If the club determine that a challenge can't realistically be made next year the next question would be who might still be around to be part of the next challenge.

And if that's the case, anyone over the age of 26 might be on the trade table.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I just posted this in another thread...

As for the U17 draft - or the 'mini draft' - clubs can offer GWS anything they want - players, picks, or a combination of both - GWS then rank the quality of the deals, which subsequently determines the draft order in the mini draft. So hypothetically, if we were to offer them Goddard in the hope of getting the first pick (and subsequently Jaeger O'Meara), but then Hawthorn went and offered something GWS determined as better (e.g. Sam Mitchell & Shoenmakers), we would only get the 2nd pick for BJ. So to an extent, you could be playing a slight risk if you are intending to trade specifically for Jaeger. Many seem to think that you can nominate which player you are 'trading' for - but unfortunately, this is not the case - you are actually trading for draft position, and even that is not guaranteed.

Hope this helps!

cowboy66

Brad Crouch from Ballarat Rebels is another jet, legspeed, evasive like Harvs and has exquisite skills too.
We could do worse than trading out for him too...offer Gram and one other! but remember these kids are not available to play until 2013...

Cowboy rox
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

cowboy66 wrote:Brad Crouch from Ballarat Rebels is another jet, legspeed, evasive like Harvs and has exquisite skills too.
We could do worse than trading out for him too...offer Gram and one other! but remember these kids are not available to play until 2013...
Would they be allowed to train for part of the time next year? A bit like the Father-Sons and Scholarship kids !!

bennymac5
Club Player

I think they train the whole year and would play in VFL for sandy all year.