More Sunday thoughts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

More Sunday thoughts

Well it was basically a crap wasted season for us, but RL and the team did the best they could, though across the board some just didn't pull their weight. We clearly missed Gwilt and Hayes, with Hayes being the only real leader in that playing group. I worry that we just haven't got much depth and are now going to pay the price for poor recruiting and poor development over the last five or six years. This playing group as such had their chances and will not win a premiership, so some tough calls will be made. It is plainly obvious that a forward line will need to be built, and strong key position players sought. We need to get and develop a young ruckman, as I don't think Stanley has the goods. Reiwoldt has had his time as a mobile CHF and is now probably going to be parked at FF, or moved on if a big call needs to be made. Who knows what to do with Kosi. Will RL stay? If so he needs to have good think about the offensive part of his coaching, as it is a big problem- the defensive work is fine. I feel like we have wasted so much this year, and now the club is in limbo until we know RL is staying or going, and already with a couple of retirements, the whole playing group is starting to change- could be a tough couple of years, so it will test us as supporters. Se ya next season.

St Igmata
Club Player

The problem is you cant have it both ways Re the defensive and the offensive games.
Starved of class and skill if we are less defensive and more offensive youll have some very average defenders more isolated.

I believe the problem is in the midfield.
Not enough good midfielders that can both defend and create.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:I believe the problem is in the midfield.
I agree, hopefully Lenny and Ledger....and maybe some other kids....can help rectify that somewhat next year.

PJ
SS Life Member

BJ appeared to end the season the way he started it - in a mental hole. Send him to Tahiti for a while, the guy looks like he needs a long break.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

St Igmata wrote:The problem is you cant have it both ways Re the defensive and the offensive games.
Geelong and Collingwood have proven otherwise.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
St Igmata
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
St Igmata wrote:The problem is you cant have it both ways Re the defensive and the offensive games.
You dont understand.
I'm talking about our list.. not theirs! :?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

need a full forward
kozi to CHB
roo to CHF

lenny back, jimmy back
dead wood cut from the list
get some games into tommy ffs
crippa and sippa in
ledger in

bring on the pre season

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

St Igmata wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
You dont understand.
I'm talking about our list.. not theirs! :?
Pound for pound I think last night's team had the same talent and potential as the one that two years ago won 19 games in a row. I don't attribute teamwork entirely to list talent but that's just my opinion.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Where is Stanley at? Will he make it?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
matrix
Saintsational Legend

was listed as a test last time i saw the injury list i reckon
so im guessing he got over the hamstring injury

hopefully he steps up after a decent preseason
still rate the guy
just seemed to look a tad lazy

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I think Riewoldt played okay .. except for his kicking at goal... but the problem remains - our 2 tall forwards are opposition springboards as soon as the ball hits the ground.
If they don't take marks and a spillage occurs - the ball comes straight out more often than not.

We need quick medium sized forwards who are good at ground level and can pile on forward pressure... to stop/thwart the Shaws etc..

That would help our beleaguered midfield too and free them up - because they are having to defend the rebounds instead of creating some positive moves of their own.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:Where is Stanley at? Will he make it?
Or even Is there space for two bigs in him and walsh. Both would want to be part of it next year. If some believe the hype Fev is in there too.

quidnunc
Club Player

Spert - I must say that I think your comments fully represent my feelings also about our club. Many may disagree but I feel you have just about summed it up accurately.

My observation of last nights game and this year to a degree is - you just can not afford to turn it over with simple mistakes when it is so hard to get possession.

Forgive me if I am wrong but my thoughts are that if we did not turn it over so easily and frequently last night - we win!

But I agree with Spert - something has to change as better teams than us do not turn it over.

OOOROO see U next year.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Some positives out of the season:
- Macca has shown he will become an elite ruck of the compeition
- We seem to have found a few decent kids i.e. steven, cripps, siposs, ledger
- The club has realised that we won't win a flag with some of the spud's we have in our side (no matter how hard they try)
- Kosi improved his fitness
- Milne and Dal have improved again
- We got Pelchen
- Walsh has developed very nicely in the VFL
- Dempster has become a key part of the side (thanks to SainterK)

Negatives:
- too many to list

Sainter for life.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Where is Stanley at? Will he make it?
Ross spoke highly of him recently, can't remember when, but that the club is still hoping big things from him.

AlpineStars
Club Player

I think we finished our season about where I thought we would after being heartbroken for 3 GF's, my biggest dissapointment this year would be the lack of games into our kids. All of our kids should have 10 to 15 games in them but they don't. Meanwhile I watch as Menzil,Duncan and the like start to shine for opposition clubs. Would have loved to have got more games into Walsh, Ledger, Siposs etc and with Lenny back fit next year have one last crack with this group.

If anyone says yeah but our kids just arn't good enough then we have drafted poorly.

Wake me up when September ends.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AlpineStars wrote:I think we finished our season about where I thought we would after being heartbroken for 3 GF's, my biggest dissapointment this year would be the lack of games into our kids. All of our kids should have 10 to 15 games in them but they don't. Meanwhile I watch as Menzil,Duncan and the like start to shine for opposition clubs. Would have loved to have got more games into Walsh, Ledger, Siposs etc and with Lenny back fit next year have one last crack with this group.

If anyone says yeah but our kids just arn't good enough then we have drafted poorly.
Apart from Walsh most of our kids were injured so i am unsure how they can play and yes I think we have drafted poorly for a few years.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
AlpineStars wrote:I think we finished our season about where I thought we would after being heartbroken for 3 GF's, my biggest dissapointment this year would be the lack of games into our kids. All of our kids should have 10 to 15 games in them but they don't. Meanwhile I watch as Menzil,Duncan and the like start to shine for opposition clubs. Would have loved to have got more games into Walsh, Ledger, Siposs etc and with Lenny back fit next year have one last crack with this group.

Apart from Walsh most of our kids were injured so i am unsure how they can play and yes I think we have drafted poorly for a few years.
The frustration for mine is that even with an old list it will be Eddy (23), Johnson (21), Cahill (21) and possibly Smith (21) delisted. Where should the blame lie? Recruitment? Development? Lack of opportunities? The players themselves?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs