Take this FWIW !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Take this FWIW !

I just saw Dipper on Fox Sports News during a story on Lyon's first day at the Dockers when he said Scott Watters is going to get the St.Kilda coaching job, he seemed pretty sure of himself & even went further to say that all the new coaches are now first time senior coaches which will is a great thing.

Maybe the they are going to wait untill collingwoods season is over to announce or maybe they have made up their minds and he still needs to go through the selection process ?

Don't know, so don't jump on me for starting rumours only saying ehat I saw on a Fox Sports News Report featuring comments from Dipper.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Not jumping on you, but I would suggest that Dipper's main source for this tidbit was, like the rest of us, what he was reading in the press.

Of all people, why would Dipper have the inside goss from our club?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't believe a word Dipper said even if he was trying to tell me I was standing on his foot.

They walk amongst us...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I hardly need to add that, if the club has already decided on Watters, this can only mean on one (or both) of two things:

1. They have undertaken a piss-poor selection process to recruit someone who is 100% unproven as an AFL coach, basing their view of his ability purely on hearsay or on some sort of ridiculous notion like "he was an assistant at the premier club so he must be good" or

2. They have been working on this for weeks and therefore it was the club who betrayed Lyon and not the other way around.
Last edited by meher baba on Wed 21 Sep 2011 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Richter
SS Life Member

Re: Take this FWIW !

Burkey 1 wrote:Scott Watters is going to get the St.Kilda coaching job......

Maybe the they are going to wait untill collingwoods season is over to announce or maybe they have made up their minds and he still needs to go through the selection process ?
I must say that is exactly what I thought when I heard that we are planning for the recruitment process to take 4 weeks.

Interview assistants after their clubs exit the finals series...

i.e. Next week - Leon Cameron, after the Hawks lose
the following week Watters, after the pies lose to the Cats in the Granny.

Aim to appoint at the end of the first week of October so as to have the new man in place for trade week, which is the second week of October.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Burkey 1 wrote: Don't know, so don't jump on me for starting rumours only saying ehat I saw on a Fox Sports News Report featuring comments from Dipper.
I'm amused that you felt obliged to append this disclaimer ... because you've already discovered that the only reason some people visit this site is to discredit other's posts.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we would put together such a comprehensive selection pane just to rubber stamp someone. i would say the job is wide open and any decision will be weeks away.

Dipper. Where did he get it? He found it at fosseys.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 22 Sep 2011 2:31am, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

lol.

Dipper.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Pay ya freakin taxes!!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Pay ya freakin taxes!!!!!
How much are they?

NINE NINETY NINE? :P

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Pay ya freakin taxes!!!!!
How much are they?

NINE NINETY NINE? :P
OUT THEY GO!

BE FAST!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I believe everything Dipper says.

thequarry
Club Player

As far as I know (again, my "good source" :?), no one has the job yet. Scott Watters might be a good chance - he obviously has some pretty decent credentials - but the club has had basically since the public found out about Ross's departure to mobilise on this issue, i.e. not much time at all. A lot of things need to happen before anyone has the job.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:
Burkey 1 wrote:Scott Watters is going to get the St.Kilda coaching job......

I must say that is exactly what I thought when I heard that we are planning for the recruitment process to take 4 weeks.

Interview assistants after their clubs exit the finals series...

i.e. Next week - Leon Cameron, after the Hawks lose
the following week Watters, after the pies lose to the Cats in the Granny.

Aim to appoint at the end of the first week of October so as to have the new man in place for trade week, which is the second week of October.
I would be stoked if they made the appointment before the Trade Period, Delistings, and Nat Draft - the new coach surely needs to be involved.
Thing is, I don't know how much of a say Pelchin gets - will he override the senior coach in player movements ?

Hold your ground :shock:
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I'd be happy with Watters, but if there is one thing that rings true for us its our old motto of "expect the unexpected". If i recall correctly Lyon wasnt in the frame for our coaching role until the very last minute.

If anyone would have told me 12 months, we would have had our players willies all over the media, a bogus school girl scandal, a pre-season training camp incident in NZ, then won 1 out of the first 7 games, but still made the finals - only to have our coach walk out with 1 year on his contract remaining and accept a coaching offer from Freo who werent even in the market for a coach, .... well I reckon I would have given you 100 to 1 on that.

So no - I wont be surprised if the person who gets the job is a name that isnt even currenlty being discussed.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

+1

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: dont think we would put together such a comprehensive selection panel to rubber stamp someone. i would say the job is wide open and will any decision weeks away.
Panels are to appease the media and supporters. Who gives a stuff what most of those people think?
Pippa Grange who will advise on people, culture and leadership matters
Why?

Would Mathews pass? Malthouse? If she is serious probably not.

Who was on frementals panel? Navy Seals?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
linmarnic
Club Player

Burkey 1 wrote:I just saw Dipper on Fox Sports News during a story on Lyon's first day at the Dockers when he said Scott Watters is going to get the St.Kilda coaching job, he seemed pretty sure of himself & even went further to say that all the new coaches are now first time senior coaches which will is a great thing.

Don't know, so don't jump on me for starting rumours only saying ehat I saw on a Fox Sports News Report featuring comments from Dipper.[/quote:
It is probably just Dipper's opinion on who will get it out of who he perceives are the available candidates. His opinion may be correct out of the assistant coaches field, we will determine that through our selection process. But what we don't know is who is "available" out of the contracted current or ex senior coaches.

Never give up
saintlee
Club Player

Zed wrote:I'd be happy with Watters, but if there is one thing that rings true for us its our old motto of "expect the unexpected". If i recall correctly Lyon wasnt in the frame for our coaching role until the very last minute.

If anyone would have told me 12 months, we would have had our players willies all over the media, a bogus school girl scandal, a pre-season training camp incident in NZ, then won 1 out of the first 7 games, but still made the finals - only to have our coach walk out with 1 year on his contract remaining and accept a coaching offer from Freo who werent even in the market for a coach, .... well I reckon I would have given you 100 to 1 on that.

So no - I wont be surprised if the person who gets the job is a name that isnt even currenlty being discussed.
Plus I think the media are nil from 3 this year, as far as predicting who will get a senior coaching gig

linmarnic
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: dont think we would put together such a comprehensive selection panel to rubber stamp someone. i would say the job is wide open and will any decision weeks away.
Panels are to appease the media and supporters. Who gives a stuff what most of those people think?
Pippa Grange who will advise on people, culture and leadership matters
Why?

Would Mathews pass? Malthouse? If she is serious probably not.

Who was on frementals panel? Navy Seals?
Judas Iscariot

Never give up
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yep. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Surely, the Club would not assemble a high profile panel, if they already knew who they wanted. We simply cannot afford to make a mistake with this appointment.

Should get done just prior to Trade week, if all runs smoothly.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dipper told me Dimmeys is our new major sponsor.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

How about Ken Bruce???

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ShakenNotStirred wrote:How about Ken Bruce???
He went mad and they shot him.

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ShakenNotStirred wrote:How about Ken Bruce???
He went mad and they shot him.
:lol: That they did.

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)