Goddard trade talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Goddard trade talk

Makes me feel sick and disappointed in folks.

you folks demand loyalty from coaches and players and yet talk dismissively of a player who is a club champion and one of the top players in the competition as trade bait.

Goddard SHOULD play out his career and be venerated as a club legend, not be treated as a piece of meat.

If he chooses to go, we will be compensated under the rules and get a deal similar to ablett or scully.

If he chooses to stay he has 5 plus years of footy and will be around for our next crack.

What is to say the juniors we select will be loyal? what is to say they will be any good? of the quality players in the top 20, more than 1/2 fail to play more than 50 games through being overrated, injured, not maturing, not putting in the effort, or getting better offers. Even if they pan out, what is to stop them going into the PSD at age 21/22 and us getting nothing?

HERE we have a superstar of the game, and you folks want to gamble on a potential who is highly unlikely to be anywere nearly as good as goddard.

Some of you people make me sick.

Yes I was wrong to have faith in Lyon, however I think with Goddard I'd rather have faith in him as a person and a saint than treat him as a potential traitor or a piece of meat.

the club will be wrong to treat a player of Goddard calibre, maturity and leadership as such.

Cheers

Dan.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

We won't be compensated if he walks when free-agency is introduced.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

oh so then we should trade all our quality players 2 years into a 3 year contract so we don't lose them to free agency because we have to assume all our players our selfish asswipes, and instead of developing players, we just use the free agency model to buy our team every 2 years, sign them to 3 year contracts and trade them again.

Wow, fantastic logic and way to build camaraderie and team dynamics.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Every St Kilda supporter wants BJ to stay but we have to be realistic, he can walk for nothing after next season. Then what?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:We won't be compensated if he walks when free-agency is introduced.
yes we will

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I believe we have to lose one of our 'top 8' to successfully rebuild.

We need to ascertain from BJ whether he will or wont go next year, I know he doesn't have to, but I would have a fair bit of extra respect for him if he was open about it with the club.

If he wants to stay, sign him up now and stop the media rumours, if he wants to go, its best for the club and the player to get on with his career (without distractions) to go this year.

If he moved on this year, we could get O'Meara and a top 10 draft pick this year. Potentially setting us up for the next decade. If he moved next year, we get two first round picks, depending on where we finish it could be pick 15 and 20 or something.

Unfortunately, footy is changing, with free agency, we'd need to make our club attractive for future suitors or existing players. We aren't going to bottom out and get a few years of top 3 draft picks, so this really is the only way to rebuild.

I don't want to see BJ go, but if he is going to anyway, its important to get the right compensation for him at the right time for both parties. I don't want a years worth of the Scully/Ablett type talk to read about every week.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

hear hear Dan

and heaven forbid he goes under free agency- next year we get the option to MATCH any offer + conpensation pick of value to be determined by AFL_ for BJ 2 pick would be minimum- personally

BUT Stick around BJ_ some of us eare loyal to our players ..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Whatever happens................happens...i think greed will win out

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Whatever happens................happens...i think greed will win out
perhaps, but we can buy players through the same system.

whoever buys goddard will be paying somewhere in the vicinity of 1m WITHOUT the option to bury some in the vets list.

we will then free up a commensurate amount in our salary cap.

SHUT UP KRIME!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gawn

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:gawn
Surely he is worth more than that big bloke from Melbourne...

Strength through Loyalty
degruch
Saintsational Legend

He'd be the last person I'd like to leave the club, I reckon the club would feel the same...no chance we'll trade him early IMO. If he walks next year, he walks, but he won't walk for free, salary cap and asking price might dictate where/when/if he goes.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Well said Dan. The talk of trading Goddard for picks or whatever is just bullshyte. Even if we get high draft picks it's unlikely we will get a player anywhere near is good as bj, or as dedicated to the saints

I love this club
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Agreed Dan...

Must do everything in our power to ensure he remains a Saints for life...

Great clubs don't lose great players as often as we have...

We need to ensure those days are over...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Well said, Dan.
bobmurray wrote:Whatever happens................happens...i think greed will win out
Gosh, are you this pessimistic in real life?

Cheer up, mate :idea:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Well said, Dan.

WTF has real life got to do with Goddard's future......it'll pan out without any influence from us and we'll all get on here and comment.....is that real enough for ya...... :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Witeout23
Club Player

Can someone enlighten me as to how Collingwood manage to keep all their stars and still remain under the salary cap?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Well said, Dan.

WTF has real life got to do with Goddard's future......it'll pan out without any influence from us and we'll all get on here and comment.....is that real enough for ya...... :shock:
Sorry, my bad. Goddard's future is all virtual reality.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

This may be a little nieve of me, but will what chance is there of BJ being honest with the new coach about his intentions after next year? I said it above, but lets extend his contract now or see if he wants to extend it.

I don't want to lose him as much as the next person, but if he is going to walk, he owes that to his CLUB to tell us now so we can get the best result out of him leaving. He has stated he wants to help us going forward, that could be for a year only. If RL has taught us anything its that blind faith will get us nowhere.

Anyone wanting to talk about culture can look at Sydney, they've put Jude and ROK on the trade table in recent years and they are considered to have the best culture and most loyal players in the AFL.

I don't want to move him on if he wants to stay, NO WAY and I don't think we'll do that, but if he doesn't have intentions of staying, he should be honest with us too. Its a two way street both parties should respect each other enough not to play games. Blind faith will get us nowhere mark my words.

Strength through Loyalty
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Goddard won't leave without a VERY good reason. BJ went storming into our membership department demanding to know why Melbourne had a higher membership than St Kilda in the early part of the season a couple of years ago. I think some underestimate his fierce loyalty and determination. He won't be going anywhere!!! He is a very strong part of the fabric of this club.

PS: Roo was sprouting the same 'wait and see but don't want to leave St Kilda' line a couple of years ago before he re signed with us for 5 years. Many were touting him as a certainty for GC due to his family ties (which have all moved to Victoria now).

Fortius Quo Fidelius
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

If he ends up at the filth I am giving the game away and going fishing

:evil:

saint75 wrote:I think some underestimate his fierce loyalty and determination. He won't be going anywhere!!! He is a very strong part of the fabric of this club.
If this is true then :D

Strength through Loyalty
wolfpup
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:We won't be compensated if he walks when free-agency is introduced.
the 10 ten money earners in each club cant walk due to free agency

Schillaci
Club Player

Should do everything to keep him. As much as possible anyway. If he goes and we get nothing for him...so be it.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Should do everything to keep him. As much as possible anyway. If he goes and we get nothing for him...so be it.
if he walks he clears 700k from our salary cap which we can use to get another player from free agency.....

Personally I would rather trust him, and expect the best from him.

Don't forget its too late for him to go into the vets list in any other club, a big advantage for us.

agree 100 Schillaci, treat him well, instead of like a piece of meat.

SHUT UP KRIME!