St Kilda Performance on Footy Show Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Saints sorry for pole dancing players

The St Kilda Football Club has apologised following last night's lewd Footy Show skits.
The St Kilda Football Club has apologised for a pole dancing skit featuring Saints players on last night's Footy Show.

St Kilda player Sam Fisher partly undressed while dancing with a skimpily dressed woman around a pole during the show, drawing the ire of some viewers who thought it particularly inappropriate given the club's off-field scandals throughout the year.

The club has put out a statement denying it was aware of the skit before it was broadcast.

Not a good look ... Sam Fisher gyrates around the stripper's pole with a female dancer. Photo: Channel Nine

"The St Kilda Football Club is disappointed with The Footy Show (Nine Network) and its 'player review' segment aired last night," the statement said.

The club said The Footy Show had come up with the skit that also involved five St Kilda players acting in a nightclub scene and Fisher cavorting and drinking with a woman on a couch.

"At no point was the club informed of the nature or content of the segment," the statement said.

St Kilda has apologised for the skit. Photo: Channel Nine

"The segment certainly did not represent the values we aspire to at the St Kilda Football Club.

"The St Kilda Football Club would like to sincerely apologise for any offence caused."

Comedian (You've got to be kidding!) Peter Helliar was among those to take to Twitter to criticise the players' involvement.

"Obviously no one in charge @ St Kilda. Why would they agree 2 a Footy Show act where they dance w strippers & dry hump girl on a couch???" he posted. (He's just jealous that he can't get that sort of attention and who'd give it to him with that sort of head)

The model who sat with Fisher on the couch at the start of the skit said the issue had been blown out of proportion.

Sam Howard said she felt misrepresented when sections of the media claimed she had been ‘‘objectified’’, as she and Fisher were playing roles in the skit and not themselves.

"Sam and I were playing characters that corresponded with the video clip, it was all an act," Ms Howard said in a statement sent to The Age.

"I disagree with Peter Helliar’s comment that I was dry humped on the couch, when that was in no way what went on. I think I would know."

Ms Howard said she was never made to feel uncomfortable in the skit and during rehearsals.

"I was simply putting on a show and fulfilling a role that my occupation required. I could have easily said no to the job offer," she said.

"I can only speak for myself but I had a great night and loved the show."

Another opportunity awaits!
CJC
Club Player

I think the biggest problem is that the footy show is still on the air. Why do people watch that garbage.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

CJC wrote:I think the biggest problem is that the footy show is still on the air. Why do people watch that garbage.
How about you just worry what you want to watch

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
philtee
Club Player

The Saints Communications/Marketing Managers should have demanded final script approval
from Nine before releasing players to take part. The Footy Show's producers would have sooked and threatened, but that's what they do.
The pole dancing sketch is fairly tepid stuff, but any sniff of Saintly misbehaviour sends the media into moral outrage overdrive.
The Saints hierarchy should have known it would have caused a knee-jerk over-reaction from the press...
and oh my goodness, it has !

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Was there a girl dancing on a pole....??? Where?? What girl?? I could not tear my eyes away from Fish!!!

I don't think anyone has anything to apologise for last night. I don't believe that the media department needed to clear the choreography and I certainly don't believe that Fish or the other players need to answer any questions.

The only person that should be moderately displeased by the display may be Fish's girlfriend (if he has one). Appeared to be very steamy and close up. As a female, I rather enjoyed the performance.

To link this performance to the over-hyped off field issues (that had the media kept their noses out of and not given the lying witch any media coverage there would not have been any) is ridiculous!!

This is political correctness gone wrong in a big way! To liken this to a 'culture problem' or as being disrespectful to women is ridiculous. If you felt disrespected or demeaned in anyway by watching this, I suggest you keep the television off and don't leave the house!!! :P

Fortius Quo Fidelius
rfisher

Political correctness gone mad.

I honestly don't even understand how this is an issue. I didn't find the revue particularly entertaining, but I don't think there is any problem with Saints' performance.

You would think that the media have more interesting things to report on during grand final week.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I think the media department needs to employ the Gasp customer service rep that responded to the email complaint that has now gone viral. Stuff the apologies media department, tell the fools whinging and moaning about an 120 second player revue skit to pull their freakin heads in and take it for what it was - a bit of fun. The rest of you so called Saints supporters need to take a cup of concrete and ....(you know the rest).

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

What about all these female dancers that objectified men. And a near naked Fisher dancing on a pole.

So demeaning to men.

Sick of this s***. People finding something wrong with everything. Much like that Lazy Susan at the Brownlow, with Sam Lane reiterating to AD on before the game she wasnt happy with it. These people find and create issues, they are never happy. Sorry they are only happy when they are complaining about something.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

It is pretty simple. Why do it?
Maybe we shouldn't be involved in any of these footy show player reviews? How hard is it to just make reasonable judgement calls? How dumb are these footballers? I guess that is why they aren't doctors or scientists? Does it ever end? I guess nothing will ever change and the club will just have to keep putting out statements for one thing or another every couple of months as we continue to be the laughing stock of the afl? You cant protect dump people from themselves and it is really, really concerning that the image of our club and reputation is completely in the hands of such dumb, dumb fools!
There is no other way to put it really? The fish also rots at the head and they dont seem to do much about it either?
Maybe i am looking at it too simply, but is it really that hard to think to yourself I represent the St. Kilda football every time i am in public and I get paid good money for this, maybe I better think before I act?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
defacto
Club Player

why does our club always add fuel to a fire. the response from the club today pretty much gave that s*** article some kind of validity and gave it more exposure than it deserved.

club should have just ignored it.

going forward they need to get the media onside. atm there are too many rogue small time journalists looking for the next "big st kilda story".

our management of the media has been woeful at best.

doggerel
Club Player

defacto wrote:why does our club always add fuel to a fire. the response from the club today pretty much gave that s*** article some kind of validity and gave it more exposure than it deserved.

club should have just ignored it.

going forward they need to get the media onside. atm there are too many rogue small time journalists looking for the next "big st kilda story".

our management of the media has been woeful at best.
Agree. The club has sought to empahsise that the skit took place without its imprimatur. Whatever. The overwhelming upshot is that it just looks like the club management is weak.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I am so bored, I could cry...

My god, i wish we were playing tomorrow, instead of worrying about the 'Footy show player review' :cry: With boredom...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
CJC wrote:I think the biggest problem is that the footy show is still on the air. Why do people watch that garbage.
You obviously don't worry about anything.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
philip
Club Player

Massive. Own. Goal.

time for things to change, and change they will.

phiip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:What is going on here........?

I hardly think that the general public is going to look at the Saints performance and think that there is a "Bad Culture", towards women especially.

Seriously, if our own supporters can't put it down to some light hearted fun, we may as well close the doors now!

Just another old fashioned case of "Sex sells" for the whole revue, not just our part in it.

Sam Fisher aside, the rest were just playing the part of boys dancing with girls in a nightclub. Same as anything you would see at most popular nightclubs. Is this angst pointed at Sam Fisher? I hope not as I see Sam as a fantastic role model of the club.
I do too. but in this instance he showed poor judgement.

Not sure too many ppl on here have said they are offended by the skit as some are trying to portray. Just staggered at the stupidity of the players, and the patheticness of the act.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:What about all these female dancers that objectified men. And a near naked Fisher dancing on a pole.

So demeaning to men.

Sick of this s***. People finding something wrong with everything. Much like that Lazy Susan at the Brownlow, with Sam Lane reiterating to AD on before the game she wasnt happy with it. These people find and create issues, they are never happy. Sorry they are only happy when they are complaining about something.
You're missing the point.

I hope the people saying big deal, have no issues with centrebet being the major sponsor.

We have no senior coach, it's been widely reported that the club made a significant loss, it has trouble selling signage at Etihad, and is struggling to get sponsors on board.

You think this would of helped?

Another hit the St Kilda football clubs brand didn't need, and that's without even talking about the content a some crappy players revue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I blame RL.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I blame RL.
evening plugger.

Do you have an actual opinion on the events of the past 28 or so hours?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
defacto
Club Player

Moods wrote:
Ross who? wrote:What is going on here........?

I hardly think that the general public is going to look at the Saints performance and think that there is a "Bad Culture", towards women especially.

Seriously, if our own supporters can't put it down to some light hearted fun, we may as well close the doors now!

Just another old fashioned case of "Sex sells" for the whole revue, not just our part in it.

Sam Fisher aside, the rest were just playing the part of boys dancing with girls in a nightclub. Same as anything you would see at most popular nightclubs. Is this angst pointed at Sam Fisher? I hope not as I see Sam as a fantastic role model of the club.
I do too. but in this instance he showed poor judgement.

Not sure too many ppl on here have said they are offended by the skit as some are trying to portray. Just staggered at the stupidity of the players, and the patheticness of the act.
maybe so. why is it other clubs dont give this type of press the time of day. i didnt see eddie come out and agree with the media when swan started to tweet about taking performance enhancing drugs. so the story quickly went away, because collingwood didnt give it any validity.

it happens to our club and we scramble trying to appease the media and public perception. the reality is we should have hit all media outlets for 6 over the kim duthie saga, when blatant mistruths were published. fast forward to now and we should have just ignored it, made no public comment and then picked up the phone and contacted the relevant editors for a please explain. its a beat up and a non issue. look at the people reporting the issue, they arent known and respected journalists.

blacklist the journalists and reward others from the same organisation to keep them onside.

our PR and media department atm is piss weak and everyone knows it.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:What about all these female dancers that objectified men. And a near naked Fisher dancing on a pole.

So demeaning to men.

You're missing the point.

I hope the people saying big deal, have no issues with centrebet being the major sponsor.

We have no senior coach, it's been widely reported that the club made a significant loss, it has trouble selling signage at Etihad, and is struggling to get sponsors on board.

You think this would of helped?

Another hit the St Kilda football clubs brand didn't need, and that's without even talking about the content a some crappy players revue.

Not missing the point at all. I'm looking at the crux of the issue. You're looking at the finishe result. Chicken and egg issue.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
You obviously don't worry about anything.
Uh yeah okay

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

philip wrote:Massive. Own. Goal.

time for things to change, and change they will.
phiip
Please, I pray you are right :?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bit of goss for us philip??

cmon
spill it 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I blame RL.
evening plugger.

Do you have an actual opinion on the events of the past 28 or so hours?
Not really. Silly to do it. Silly to be in the paper. Silly to reply on the website. Just silly.

Behind Play
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
Behind Play wrote: May certainly be light hearted fun for you but to the rest of the football public, it's the St. kilda football club's image on women.

Wake up the lot of you.
What is the club's image on women??
The club has got no problems with women, however the public image of the St. Kilda football Club towards women is very negative.