Jack Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Sainter
Club Player

Jack Steven?

After seeing most of St Kilda's games this season I thought he could finish as high as perhaps top 6 in our B&F. Yes, I may be a poor judge but unlike Jones he doesn't butcher the ball straight up in the air nearly every time he kicks it, also he is a reliable kick at goal plus he showed a hardness at the contest which is sadly lacking in Gram's style of play. Well done to Fisher and Dal Santo, both have been fine players for us for many years.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Enough with the CJ hate FFS. Jack had a good first full season but wasn't our 6th best player this year. He will be a star, I really rate him and he is pretty much the future of our club when our big stars retire. But please can we just stop putting him on a pedestal and let him be. CJ plays his role as well as anyone in the league and congrats to him for his great finish in the B&F

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't "hate" CJ, just felt Steven was worthy of some praise on his year.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

At 70%, Jack's disposal efficieny is only marginally better than CJ's who has a 67% efficiency rate. Jack can butcher it at times.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Sainter
Club Player

I don't think I said I hated Jones, certainly admire the way he never shirks a contest, always going in very hard in packs and he has been great for us but whether you like it or not his disposal is very ordinary which stops him being a top player as it also does with Gilbert. Surely both have been long enough with us now for our so called skilled coaches to help them improve their kicking but no one could ever fault their hardness.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Enough with the CJ hate FFS. Jack had a good first full season but wasn't our 6th best player this year. He will be a star, I really rate him and he is pretty much the future of our club when our big stars retire. But please can we just stop putting him on a pedestal and let him be. CJ plays his role as well as anyone in the league and congrats to him for his great finish in the B&F
Totally agree, CJ after a slow start took on extra responsibilities and played his heart out. He has his deficiencies but he gives more than enough to cover any shortfalls. Jack had a few great games and was never terrible but that's not what you get votes for.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:At 70%, Jack's disposal efficieny is only marginally better than CJ's who has a 67% efficiency rate. Jack can butcher it at times.
i would be interested to compare their kicking efficiency as jones handballs a lot.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:At 70%, Jack's disposal efficieny is only marginally better than CJ's who has a 67% efficiency rate. Jack can butcher it at times.
i would be interested to compare their kicking efficiency as jones handballs a lot.
Don't know. He's kicking isn't fantastic but people get confused with the way it looks and actual efficiency.

Jonsey had a good year once he got over some pretty heavy collisions early in the year. Daisy also smacked him in the gob.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack has to work on his kicking on the run.....it is quite poor...

He was not in our top ten this year.....but was one of the more improved players which is why he was noticed more....

hayes66
Club Player

agree that stevens kicking isnt always super clean but he is a far better kick than jonesy regardless of efficiency stats. jonesy knows his limitations and doesnt try to spear pass's meaning he only does short chips which limits his effectiveness as a player. His most common effective kick is the short sideways pass. Jacky steven tries for lace out pass's on the run which sometimes i think his very good at but he can grub it a little but when it works he is far more productive than jonesys kick. Bit like i think zac dawsons efficiency was the highest in the league a few years back and goddard wasnt that high in terms of efficency percentage. Goddard is a far better kick but this means he tries for harder but more damaging kicks.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think we should hire the best kicking coach money can buy- he would be flat out with some of our players though.