Swans pushing for walsh hard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:I am hearing it from a mate at Sydney -
Your credibility is at a low ebb with me. Just saying.
At what point of the ebb is my credibility now?

Do you think I just make s*** up?

Had this story for what 3 days prior to the age???
I thought only 2 coaches were in the running? Me thinks people who try and big note are trying to hard. A couple of days a go you said that a couple of young blokes were happy RL had left. You had a source. I am pretty sure you mentioned Lynch and Walsh. Doesnt look like Lynch is to happy he left because he left and now Walsh may do the same. Is it BBQ?
that same post clearly stated lynch was gawne
i have been told numerous times it is down to hinkley and watters - if there are 3 i am happy to be wrong but not what i was told
i was told sydney were after walsh 3 days ago. he is happy, but not happy enough fr a 70% increase in pay offered

get a fkn life dipsh1t
So the Saints lied yesterday when they had a press release that Richardson was still in the mix and a few days a go you said Lynch was happy RL had left. There was no mention then that he would leave. If you are going to sprout things than fine but if it turns out to be incorrect then I will mention it. Ny the way I said Watters will get the job 3 weeks a go. Had no inside knowledge but if he gets it I may claim it.
You should. Everyone else does.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Buckets wrote:If he doesn't want to play with us then as sad as it is we need to try and get the best deal for us. :(

I just hope we get an announcement on a coach this weekend and that he sits down with Tom and discuss what he thinks Toms future at the club will be. I want him at the club next year even if it's a 1 year deal. If he still feels that there are better offers out there then move on.

Lyon has a lot to answer for with how he has dealt with the younger kids and rookies.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!

goodie
Club Player

Swans can go to hell

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Swans can go to hell
THIS ALSO!!!!!

silvertop

So, if we want to keep Tommy it's going to come down to letting someone like Ray go to free up some cash? That's going to be a tough call.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Sydney, Collingwood, Hawks, Cats, West Coast etc.. have passed us performance wise and we're on the decline- so I can't see why our players should be maxing out the salary cap - they don't deserve it (apart from say 3 or 4 that have performed at their very best).

I'd be guilty as a Saint player if I didn't give at least 5% of my salary back to the club - as we're around the half way mark on the ladder and slipping.
5% of a salary = 2.5% after tax ... big deal !!

We should be in a position to secure our Walsh and a couple of good players from Sydney - not the other way around.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 15 Oct 2011 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Sydney, Collingwood, Hawks, Cats, West Coast etc.. have passed us performance wise and we're on the decline- so I can't see why our players should be maxing out the salary cap - they don't deserve it (apart from say 3 or 4 that have performed at their very best).

I'd be guilty as a Saint player if I didn't give at least 5% of my salary back to the club - as we're around the half way mark on the ladder and slipping.

We should be in a position to secure our Walsh and a couple of good players from Sydney - not the other way around.
The Swans managed to hold on to O'Keefe when he wanted to return to Melbourne so time to give them a bit of their own medicine :P

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

You said that he had signed.
Fine you won't hear anything more from me then

You can both quietly f*** off

#1 Ryder fan
Richter
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote: that same post clearly stated lynch was gawne
i have been told numerous times it is down to hinkley and watters - if there are 3 i am happy to be wrong but not what i was told
i was told sydney were after walsh 3 days ago. he is happy, but not happy enough fr a 70% increase in pay offered

get a fkn life dipsh1t
Your info is appreciated by me MC G. If the above is correct then we are faced with trying to free up an extra 50-70k to keep Tommy on board next year.

For mine, even if that means delisting a Polo, Gamble, or at a pinch, even Ray.... well I would take that.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Richter wrote:

get a fkn life dipsh1t
Your info is appreciated by me MC G. If the above is correct then we are faced with trying to free up an extra 50-70k to keep Tommy on board next year.

For mine, even if that means delisting a Polo, Gamble, or at a pinch, even Ray.... well I would take that.
not Ray for mine.. but the other 2 yes !

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:

get a fkn life dipsh1t

For mine we wouldn't have to match the offer just get a bit closer.

We have loyalty, the issue of relocation and starting again and the higher cost of living in Sydney in our favour.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

F**k this ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!

Lockett, Hall, Everitt and now Walsh. I am sick of those pilfering spivs north of the Murray.

I expect a fierce response from the St Kilda FC, lock in Walsh and go after some of their players.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Cases like this seem to be seen almost every year around the trade period - a player wants out, the club wants him, and even though he is uncontracted, the club refuses to trade him. The hope is then that they can convince him to stay within that one month window between the end of trade period and the draft.

We saw this with Ball (and failed), but in some better recent examples, both Brad Green and Ryan O'Keefe requested trades from their clubs before re-commiting prior to the draft.

By the sounds of things - going by what is being said in the media - Tom is considering leaving, or has even requested to leave, but Pelchan is digging his heals in. He has refused to trade him, obviously at the risk we could lose him for zilch.

Obviously, with no coach around this week to sit down with players, the job of keeping players will be made much harder. Perhaps Lynch would have stayed had Watters/Richardson/Hinkley been able to sit down with him and convince him that he was a wanted member of the Saints moving forward. Unfortunately, Adelaide was able to do this, and the likes of Pelchan and Bains are not in the position to have this conversation. So he walked. And fair enough too. Lynch would have known that if he wanted to walk after a sit down with the Saints coach (and therefore after trade deadline), that his goal of getting to Adelaide would have had many obstacles.

Walsh will be in a similar boat to Lynch. But by the sounds of things, whilst Pelchan was happy to accommodate a trade for Lynch, he isnt being quite so forthcoming for Walsh. To me this suggests a confidence in being able to retain him, or perhaps just a much higher belief on his worth to the club.

So I think that if we can get through trade week without trading out Walsh, we are in a pretty strong position. Our new coach will have the opportunity to sit him down and discuss his role for the future, answer his questions and hopefully convince him to stay. Unfortunately, whilst we have survived well without a coach so far, this is a job that NEEDS to be done by the head coach - not a list manager, football director, or even the temporary coach in Robert Harvey. We will at least have a month between now and the draft to convince him that St.Kilda is his home.

My gut feel is that he will stay, but I would be devastated to see him leave. Whilst he may not prove to be the 'great white hope' we want him to be, I would at least like to see him attempt to be whilst wearing the Red, White and Black.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How much did we fork out to Ricky Nixon's Irish scouting agency to land him - 100K?

What a joke.

Our list management is a complete disgrace, how can you get to the stage where you can't even afford to hold onto a promising rookie?

Imagine if Winmar, Walsh, Lynch, Heyne & Smith had actually played more footy - they'd all be asking for another 100K per year. Wonder what percentage of the cap is going to our top 6 players?

We've got to look to the future - Love Blake and all but at this point I'd rather allocate his wage to some promising sub 25 year-olds…

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seems like if you're a Walsh fan you are instantly pegged as someone who thinks he's "The Messiah".

Why can't you just think he's got a lot of potential and that he should be given a chance? He's already on the list and we've already put 2 years work into him.

I don't think he's "The Messiah" at all. But I think he could eventually prove as potent up forward as someone like Dawes. 

And from previous comments on this site it seems a few people would be happy to throw half a million a year and our first draft pick and/or a star to land that big lump.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

You said that he had signed.
Fine you won't hear anything more from me then

You can both quietly f*** off
So you deny posting that Walsh had already signed?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:

get a fkn life dipsh1t

my view also.

its about our list next 3-7yrs with Walsh.
Blake Id also add to that list....

“Yeah….nah””
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Tommy is worth some effort to retain in my view. Several Clubs have been chasing him, so let's hope that we can get the job done - first job for the new Coach on Monday (?), I think.

gurubob101
Club Player

All premiership contenders subsequently face salary cap pressure. Our tragedy is that we came up empty handed after having a serious tilt at a flag. Hard choices need to be made... now... and regardless of whether he is 'The Messiah' or a white elephant with a bad hair cut Walsh shows an enormous amount of potential....which is why other clubs are chasing him. The club put an awful lot of effort into getting him over and given the improvement he has made already it is looking like a smart move. It would be a downright disgrace if we allow him to get poached by another club. Forget about being sad to lose Farren Ray, Ryan Gamble or Jason Blake... the club is at a crossroads here. We slide slowly into oblivion for 10 years like Carlton in the late nineties or we clean out and rebuild around our core group over a couple of years. For the love of God Saints! Make room for him in the salary cap and give him a go.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah i thought he had signed
wtf is going on

i will be farking dark if we lose this bloke
real farking dark

i see the usual are in here sprouting the exact opp and being complete twats
give it a rest, its kind of boring now after a year or two

PJ
SS Life Member

gurubob101 wrote:All premiership contenders subsequently face salary cap pressure. Our tragedy is that we came up empty handed after having a serious tilt at a flag. Hard choices need to be made... now... and regardless of whether he is 'The Messiah' or a white elephant with a bad hair cut Walsh shows an enormous amount of potential....which is why other clubs are chasing him. The club put an awful lot of effort into getting him over and given the improvement he has made already it is looking like a smart move. It would be a downright disgrace if we allow him to get poached by another club. Forget about being sad to lose Farren Ray, Ryan Gamble or Jason Blake... the club is at a crossroads here. We slide slowly into oblivion for 10 years like Carlton in the late nineties or we clean out and rebuild around our core group over a couple of years. For the love of God Saints! Make room for him in the salary cap and give him a go.
I agree with what you're saying but generally we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Bains and Pelchen would appear to be the men that need to be over this and hopefully pelchan isn't too preoccupied with the coach position to focus on this. I'm sure they're in contact with Tommy and are trying to sort this otherwise they wouldn't have made the "no trade" statement. I think it's more the Salary Cap issues.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It is embarrassing we are even in this position

I mean, what clubs have problems keeping their rookies....most just upgrade them....

Even other clubs realise he could be a player and are making a play for him.....yet we wouldnt give the boy a shot.....with a dysfunctional fwd line...

belies belief.....the management and development of;
Walsh, Lynch, Armitage, Stanley, Heyne, Johnson, Smith and Geary has been disgraceful in the 2008-2011 period....they have almost gone backwards as players....and they really have been starved of opportunity and little belief in them has been appharant....great for confidence

Collingwoods use of their 18-22 yo players is in complete contrast...

whilst scott showed confidence in 0-40 gamers

Hawthorn trusted kids

we went with tried and true GOP's

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Sydney gave up a second round pick for Mumford. We should be demanding at least the same for Walsh. The only way Walsh gets through to them at a draft is if they're willing to use their first pick on him at the ND. Much easier to just give their second and be done with it.

Personally, I didn't see him as a better defender than Simpkin. I didn't see his epic 6-goal haul at the end of the year, but I don't buy that he was going to play forward anyway. Too big to play small and no big spots available. He's going to be 24 by the time the season starts. If we don't have a real need for him and someone else does, let him go.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
PJ
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:Sydney gave up a second round pick for Mumford. We should be demanding at least the same for Walsh. The only way Walsh gets through to them at a draft is if they're willing to use their first pick on him at the ND. Much easier to just give their second and be done with it.

Personally, I didn't see him as a better defender than Simpkin. I didn't see his epic 6-goal haul at the end of the year, but I don't buy that he was going to play forward anyway. Too big to play small and no big spots available. He's going to be 24 by the time the season starts. If we don't have a real need for him and someone else does, let him go.
The only thing I would say about that is that Kosi needs to go from the forward line - it doesn't work. We are still going to need targets

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gurubob101
Club Player

PJ wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:All premiership contenders subsequently face salary cap pressure. Our tragedy is that we came up empty handed after having a serious tilt at a flag. Hard choices need to be made... now... and regardless of whether he is 'The Messiah' or a white elephant with a bad hair cut Walsh shows an enormous amount of potential....which is why other clubs are chasing him. The club put an awful lot of effort into getting him over and given the improvement he has made already it is looking like a smart move. It would be a downright disgrace if we allow him to get poached by another club. Forget about being sad to lose Farren Ray, Ryan Gamble or Jason Blake... the club is at a crossroads here. We slide slowly into oblivion for 10 years like Carlton in the late nineties or we clean out and rebuild around our core group over a couple of years. For the love of God Saints! Make room for him in the salary cap and give him a go.
I agree with what you're saying but generally we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Bains and Pelchen would appear to be the men that need to be over this and hopefully pelchan isn't too preoccupied with the coach position to focus on this. I'm sure they're in contact with Tommy and are trying to sort this otherwise they wouldn't have made the "no trade" statement. I think it's more the Salary Cap issues.
My hope is that Pelchen and Bain have been collecting draft picks to package up for a couple of big last minute wins at the trade table. Kosi + 25 for Zac Clarke or Ray plus 37 for Pearce. And that they take a punt on Tommy Walsh by offering him a 2-3 year contract on decent money even if we lose a couple of fringe players to make it happen..
Last edited by gurubob101 on Sat 15 Oct 2011 11:35am, edited 1 time in total.