Are we really worse off going into 2012?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

beartalbot
Club Player

Are we really worse off going into 2012?

Is there anyone out there who agrees with me that everyones fears that we are far worse off leading into 2012 are nothing but a myth?
This is the way that I see the Club starting 2012 season.
Losses:
Coach Ross Lyon 2 Grand Finals in 4 years - 2 losses
Players Tom Lynch 6 games performance average
Tom Walsh o games (24 y.o) possibly servicable future player
Draft Pick 20
Gains:
Coach Scott Watters - Subiaco 3 Grand Finals in 3 years - 2 wins 1 loss
- Ass. Collingwood 2 Grand Finals - 1 win 1 loss
Draft Terry Milera & Ahmed Saad - 2 speedy mature aged players with good references.
Draft Picks 25 & 35
Returning players missing 2011 - Lenny Hayes & James Gwilt

Personally I am looking forward to see what youngsters we will pick up with six picks between 25 and 68.
Perhaps we could also use picks 78 and 96 on delisted players as security,at a minimum base rate.
I also just heard SEN's Perth correspondent on radio state that he had spoken to Scott Watters today, who stated that some players were considering reducing their contracts so that all senior players could be retained on our list.
So as you can see, I don't think the need to panic is necessary just yet.
Last edited by beartalbot on Thu 20 Oct 2011 6:12am, edited 2 times in total.

BEAR
Joffa 5
Club Player

Don't let facts get in the way of a good dummy spit :P

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

The question mark (for me) is not so much with the younger or new players, it is whether the older players retain their form.

Was Riewoldts year an aberration, or is that his new standard? Will Kosi, Milne, Hayes form be affected by being a year older?

If they don't drop off significantly in form then I don't see why we can't make the eight.

St Loxton
Club Player

Lenny is a true pro and will not be affected by being a year older, reckon he will be training up a storm for a real crack for the next couple of years.
Milney will back up his form from this year and be even a more wiser player, he may have lost some speed but small fwds with smart football brains are very valued in a team.

Yeah not happy about the loss of TW, but after a couple of days to get over it im OVER IT.

Yes we still have a gun team, looking forward to 2012!!

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I actually think that we'll hit next season in better shape. The physical and emotional problems of losing grand finals two years in a row, along with all those ridiculous off-season off-field problems will be in the distant past.

The boys have had ops, rehabs, a rest (physically and mentally), and will be ready to go on a solid pre-season. A lot of the new young blokes were out of action from mid-season so should be recovered and ready to go.

New coach, refreshed team....we are in much better shape for 2012. Can't see why anyone would argue differently.

Getting our off-field support staff possibly the only issue. Assistant coaches and fitness people. But am sure that will be worked out.

skfc17
Club Player

Im looking 4d to cn cripps winmar sipposs Steven
Armo gram and stanley after a gd pre
Season.really
Hanging out to watch sipposs.I love watching him
Kick I get excited Wen I c him get the ball like
Wen dal gets it.mcevoy will get even better

Carn the mighty Sainters
BakesFan
SS Life Member

'skfc17', you're not being charged by the letter here..Saintsational is not a mobile service provider.....

..... if you could help some of us older folk by spelling out words in full please....

.....I'm embarrassed to say it took me a little while to work out that '4d' is 'forward', 'cn' is 'seeing'..... 'c' is 'see'... and 'wen' is 'when'.......

...don't what to be pedantic, mate... but there are quite a few of us that struggle with 'text-speak'. Cheers! :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:'skfc17', you're not being charged by the letter here..Saintsational is not a mobile service provider.....

..... if you could help some of us older folk by spelling out words in full please....

.....I'm embarrassed to say it took me a little while to work out that '4d' is 'forward', 'cn' is 'seeing'..... 'c' is 'see'... and 'wen' is 'when'.......

...don't what to be pedantic, mate... but there's quite a few of us that struggle with 'text-speak'. Cheers! :D
And yet, ironically, he/she puts an extra "p" in Siposs :shock: :P

BakesFan
SS Life Member

:D ...... missed that whilst trying to decipher the rest.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Our side does look a hell of a lot better with lendog in it.....

If we can get 1,2,3 kids to step up, we certainly won't go backwards. Most of our stars are still in there prime.
We need a lot to go right,but contending again isn't the craziest thought ever(of course if we did, we'd lose the big one in heartbreaking fashion)

Bring back the Lockett era
noreason41
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:'skfc17', you're not being charged by the letter here..Saintsational is not a mobile service provider.....

...don't what to be pedantic, mate... but there are quite a few of us that struggle with 'text-speak'. Cheers! :D
Trust me, it's not just the older folk that struggle reading that sentence.

May as well be written in Mandarin.

How much harder and longer is it to write 'see' , 'when' ...

It's not text-speak, it's bogan-speak

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Gee, to me it seems blindingly obvious that we are clearly in MUCH BETTER SHAPE than we were going into 2011.

Going into this season, we were absolute sitting ducks:

Emotional scars from lost grand finals, a late start to summer training, the pre-season from hell, then we lose Lenny in round two, BJ never finds full form, Roo has his worst ever season, and we now know we had a coach who had virtually given up on us.

Next season the boys will be going in with a fresh attitude and (hopefully) a strong, solid pre-season. That alone will hold us in good stead. Add to that (hopefully) no injuries to gun players, and some quality youth coming through, a new coach who is hungry to prove himself, and make no mistake about it, we will be a better side in 2012 than we were in 2011.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

skfc17 wrote:Im looking 4d to cn cripps winmar sipposs Steven
Armo gram and stanley after a gd pre
Season.really
Hanging out to watch sipposs.I love watching him
Kick I get excited Wen I c him get the ball like
Wen dal gets it.mcevoy will get even better
More letters, less Avatar.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Thomas
Club Player

Thank you BakesFan for deciphering the post,I would have still be here getting a headacke trying. :)

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
saint6
Club Player

Thomas wrote:Thank you BakesFan for deciphering the post,I would have still be here getting a headacke trying. :)
Sorry I read the first few words and gave up. Don't they teach proper english in school any more??

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:
Thomas wrote:Thank you BakesFan for deciphering the post,I would have still be here getting a headacke trying. :)
Sorry I read the first few words and gave up. Don't they teach proper english in school any more??
The funny thing is that there is an automatic spell checker that underlines any incorrect words.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Our core is older and slower and Riewoldt has ruined knees.

Hayes coming back from a shocking injury.

Yes we will be worse off. We may not have the preseason from hell this year (crosses fingers) but our list is simply not good enough.

But finishing outside the 8 doesn't immediately mean misery. I'm keen to see some of the next generation.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
SaintSimmo
Club Player

we will finish top 6

Sainter for life.
skfc17
Club Player

I originally wrote that post using my phone, hence my use of abbreviated words. i will spell my posts correctly in the future.if you ever get confused with 'text speak'.think back to when you learnt to read and you were told to sound out the word. terribly sorry for spelling Siposs incorrectly.

Carn the mighty Sainters
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:we will finish top 6
No doubt...a lot will depend on the natural improvement of Steven and Armo as they become more experienced. I expect Lenny and NDS to spend a bit more time in the forward line. Cripps looks ready to go straight into the seniors, presuming he is fit and injury-free, though Siposs would need to show a bit more improvment in the pre-season, but he has the skills we need. The core of a top eight team is still in place and if we can get Stanley up and about as an extra tall, that would be a bonus too.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Premiership wont be coming next year or for the next 5-7 years. Thats how it is. Im just glad that i can see it so i dont get so upset when the season starts.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
micthomas1

Well I am an optimist for 2012 and I think a top 4 finish is within reach, the cats did it and there's no reason we can not. Just need a little luck with injuries and a few of the kids to step up to the plate.

S.A Saint
Club Player

micthomas1 wrote:Well I am an optimist for 2012 and I think a top 4 finish is within reach, the cats did it and there's no reason we can not. Just need a little luck with injuries and a few of the kids to step up to the plate.
+1 if we can get roo, gilbert and goddard to fire then we are deff a chance.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

micthomas1 wrote:Well I am an optimist for 2012 and I think a top 4 finish is within reach, the cats did it and there's no reason we can not. Just need a little luck with injuries and a few of the kids to step up to the plate.
The cats are/were a much better team then us though. Our best wasnt good enough to win the premiership, i doubt we can get much better then our best in 09-10

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
micthomas1

Clarky-449
What's the difference between Geelong 2010 and 2011?
A new young coach, one mature age forward and a sprinkling of kids, the core is the same and so is ours.