Callum Wilson Delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Callum Wilson Delisted

Callum wilson has been delisted by wce. is he worth a look at. young full forward who topped the wafl goal kicking last year. had a terrible year this year.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Don't know much about him but delisted means damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. Then again, the WCE forward line would be a tough one to crack.

So what is he like?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Don't know much about him but delisted means damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. Then again, the WCE forward line would be a tough one to crack.

So what is he like?
Jason Heatley was delisted by the WCE at the end of 1996 :wink: :D

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Actually, yes. He's still young and the talent is there. He has actually played well in his few appearances at senior level, but with many ahead of him t west coast he struggled to get a game. He need KP forwards badly now that Walsh and lynch are gone. He's still young too, has good junior form a d has proven capable at senior level.

Worth a shot IMO. Also, if we don't pick him up I think someone else will- no doubtin his talent.

Also, from memory, I don't think he was the hardest worker, hence his lack of opportunities. That said, would b hard to get motivated when u have Kennedy, lynch, Darling and Naitanui all ahead of u

defacto
Club Player

thirty-seven!? wrote:Actually, yes. He's still young and the talent is there. He has actually played well in his few appearances at senior level, but with many ahead of him t west coast he struggled to get a game. He need KP forwards badly now that Walsh and lynch are gone. He's still young too, has good junior form a d has proven capable at senior level.

Worth a shot IMO. Also, if we don't pick him up I think someone else will- no doubtin his talent.

Also, from memory, I don't think he was the hardest worker, hence his lack of opportunities. That said, would b hard to get motivated when u have Kennedy, lynch, Darling and Naitanui all ahead of u
i cant help but agree. delist cahill, bring in wilson. he could play full back!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sounds perfect for us. We now have 36 delisted players and 6 of our own.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

:roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote::roll:
The funny thing is some who mention these delisted players are the ones who criticize RL for getting to many GOPS from other clubs and not developing our own.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Sounds perfect for us. We now have 36 delisted players and 6 of our own.
I get what you're saying, but honestly, Wilson would be one of only two delisted players I would consider. And i would rookie him.

Simply, we have no KPP forwards between 22 and 25 and none developing. This draft is poor as far as forwards are concerned so I think we could do much worse. Don't care if we don't get him, but would b open to it. He is at least still young and simply starved of opportunity rather than ability. Still 50/50 whether he'd make it, but would b a decent prospect if taken very late or rookied.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
St Ick wrote:Don't know much about him but delisted means damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. Then again, the WCE forward line would be a tough one to crack.

So what is he like?
Jason Heatley was delisted by the WCE at the end of 1996 :wink: :D
I have a good feeling we'll draft someon like we did back then with Heatley to fill the FF spot.

Plugger may scoff at the idea, but I can't see why this kid isn't worth looking into.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Sounds perfect for us. We now have 36 delisted players and 6 of our own.
I get what you're saying, but honestly, Wilson would be one of only two delisted players I would consider. And i would rookie him.

Simply, we have no KPP forwards between 22 and 25 and none developing. This draft is poor as far as forwards are concerned so I think we could do much worse. Don't care if we don't get him, but would b open to it. He is at least still young and simply starved of opportunity rather than ability. Still 50/50 whether he'd make it, but would b a decent prospect if taken very late or rookied.
44 goals in 21 games this year in the WAFL doesnt do a lot for me as the footy isnt great and he seems to play close to goals. Also 7 games in 3 years suggests he wasnt really thought about much at WCE.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:

44 goals in 21 games this year in the WAFL doesnt do a lot for me as the footy isnt great and he seems to play close to goals. Also 7 games in 3 years suggests he wasnt really thought about much at WCE.
Yeah, it's a fair call. Honestly, I'm more basing my assessment on his time in the AFL. But it has been said that he went backwards this year.

His average goals per game in the WAFL has slowly diminished over the past 3 years.

2011: 46.23 from 21 games
2010: 43.30 from 17 games
2009: 46.30 from 14 games

But going back to his AFL form, he played the last 3 games of the 2010 series (in the team on bottom of the ladder at the time) and booted 8.9, including 4.3 against North Melbourne and 3.4 against Geelong. He also averaged 12 disposals and 6 marks per game.

So I don't mind him. I totally get the rub on him, although I personally like his potential. Could be a 'new club, new environment, new outlook' sorta guy. But then again I could be wrong. I don't expect him to be a world-beater, but I'm personally a little concerned about who will play FF for us this year if we have an injury to Kosi or Roo. I know we all like Stanley, but what if he doesnt progress, or breaks down again??

Not all definites, but I can see a mature-sized body given a chance on the rookie list. I like Wilson for this role.

http://www.footytragic.com/player/view/ ... n/2010.php

gringo
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:

Yeah, it's a fair call. Honestly, I'm more basing my assessment on his time in the AFL. But it has been said that he went backwards this year.

His average goals per game in the WAFL has slowly diminished over the past 3 years.

But going back to his AFL form, he played the last 3 games of the 2010 series (in the team on bottom of the ladder at the time) and booted 8.9, including 4.3 against North Melbourne and 3.4 against Geelong. He also averaged 12 disposals and 6 marks per game.

So I don't mind him. I totally get the rub on him, although I personally like his potential. Could be a 'new club, new environment, new outlook' sorta guy. But then again I could be wrong. I don't expect him to be a world-beater, but I'm personally a little concerned about who will play FF for us this year if we have an injury to Kosi or Roo. I know we all like Stanley, but what if he doesnt progress, or breaks down again??

Not all definites, but I can see a mature-sized body given a chance on the rookie list. I like Wilson for this role.

Before he was delisted earlier this year someone mentioned trading for him. He sounded like he was going ok in the wafl at the time. I trust the club to do due diligence on any player they look at, hopefully if we get him it's because he has a huge potential.

defacto
Club Player

gringo wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:

Before he was delisted earlier this year someone mentioned trading for him. He sounded like he was going ok in the wafl at the time. I trust the club to do due diligence on any player they look at, hopefully if we get him it's because he has a huge potential.
if dawson goes he's a certainty to be drafted by us.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Definitely worth a shout. Leads and marks strongly, and is confident with his goal-kicking ability.

The Saints are coming!
saintkev
Club Player

He had a blinder of a year playing for South Fremantle a couple of years ago in their premiership year, but can be ordinary.

He's a strong mark, good on the lead, sharp in front of goal and can kick a country mile. He's built for AFL....

......BUT...he'd need to develop some intensity and aggression at the ball to succeed. As has been mentioned it's all about his attitude.

If Watters and co can rev him up. He'd be excellent value. Scott knows him well from WAFL days and would be the best person to make a call on him.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

They better draft 2 players over 193cm or we'll end up a team of midgets...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Callum Wilson may be ok, seeing as Watters rates WAFL players.
If they draft a delisted tall, I would rather James Sellar, can play tall forward/ruck. 196 / 95 22 year old

Hold your ground :shock:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Callum Wilson may be ok, seeing as Watters rates WAFL players.
If they draft a delisted tall, I would rather James Sellar, can play tall forward/ruck. 196 / 95 22 year old
what the f%$# are the crows delisting him for? he was going to be a top 4 draft pick I thought -then he was a potential gun now they delist him? Then they get others first round stuff ups to replace him???? I think he went about 14 in the draft and they get Lynch and johnson who were around that too. They are weird in those parts.

some good delistings this year, heaps will be rookied you would think. Urquart from North has been dumped after they signed him on $300000 a year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
what the f%$# are the crows delisting him for? he was going to be a top 4 draft pick I thought -then he was a potential gun now they delist him? Then they get others first round stuff ups to replace him???? I think he went about 14 in the draft and they get Lynch and johnson who were around that too. They are weird in those parts.

some good delistings this year, heaps will be rookied you would think. Urquart from North has been dumped after they signed him on $300000 a year?
So they should have kept him because he was a high pick even if he isnt good enough. Yep you have a handle on it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

So they should have kept him because he was a high pick even if he isnt good enough. Yep you have a handle on it.
I'm not saying anything, they have dumped a guy who had potential that didn't fire for 2 guys that have potential that haven't fired and the have Tambling. The talk out of Adelaide for a few years has been that sellar is going to be good, probably like Rhys Stanley for us.

by the way you are so crap at running any kind of coherent argument, you misconstrue points, take things out of context and paraphrase in an alarmist way. No wonder your an Andrew bolt fan. You have your hand on your handle at least.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
what the hell are the crows delisting him for? he was going to be a top 4 draft pick I thought -then he was a potential gun now they delist him? Then they get others first round stuff ups to replace him???? I think he went about 14 in the draft and they get Lynch and johnson who were around that too. They are weird in those parts.

Yes Sellar was taken at 14. With Jacobs, Tippett, McKernon and now they traded in Jenkins, guess there was no room for him as ruck/KPF
I still reckon he can play good senior footy. (if Tippett had gone to BL, I reckon no way would they have tipped out Sellar)

There will be heaps of delistings this year who can play - just a matter of sorting out which ones will help the clubs who draft them.
Also Watters may draft or rookie 1 or 2 mature age WAFL players.

Hold your ground :shock:
busso mick
Club Player

I found this from a few years ago when Watters was coach of Subiaco talking about Blake Broadhurst. He is will be 26 in a few months but he looks like he could slot in like Heatley did some time ago. He is not huge at 190cm but is mobile, strong and knows where the goals are. His last 4 years have returned 73, 56, 43 and 49 goals so he is consistent.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/br ... 1115903399

defacto
Club Player

busso mick wrote:I found this from a few years ago when Watters was coach of Subiaco talking about Blake Broadhurst. He is will be 26 in a few months but he looks like he could slot in like Heatley did some time ago. He is not huge at 190cm but is mobile, strong and knows where the goals are. His last 4 years have returned 73, 56, 43 and 49 goals so he is consistent.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/br ... 1115903399
he is but towards the end of season he wasnt playing due to concussion. if he gets a clear medical i am happy to have him!! would be a great get!!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dont get too caught up in the Watters loves WAFL players a lot of that is media speculation after he answered a direct question about drafting from the WAFL by Perth media ... He and the drafting team would be looking at VFL SANFL &QAFL players just as much as th WA guys ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/