Tonights reaction

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

New recruits for the New acadamy!

Too early to really say anything accept fingers and toes are crossed that the new kids just start excelling as a tight ly knit unit under the guidence of our new guru 'Watters'.

Along with Cripps, Winmar and Siposs the club has a decent number of potential hopefuls that reflect that moment in Saints history that blends the Lyon /Watters drafting philosophies and marks the beginning of St.Kilda's serious commitment to its own 'Development academy'.

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Im not impressed. Ross would want to be worth it because his selectuon threw it all out.

We took him at 25, one ahead of Elton, who is the ideal choice for us. Ross would have gone to Essendon at pick 31. Instead they had to change and selected Merrett, who was linked to Geelong. Selecting the next best kid they get Kersten.

IMO we could have easily picked up Elton, Kersten and Markworth. Tall timber problem solved. Shattered missing out on Grigg by one spot and passed on Lockyer, we'll see how the Tassie kid goes. Furious at Wilkes' selection, why do we have to keep picking up delisted players???
Last edited by St Ick on Thu 24 Nov 2011 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Sainter93
Club Player

Watters was looking to draft the "best available" and not always the players we so much need. Maybe Ross is for the long term as a replacement for Hayes?

elizabethr
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:I will fall into the category that I will make no assumption of any new draftee's until they have done a 4 year apprenticeship.

:wink:
This guy is seriously good :) A real Ross Lyon man!!

nothing to say
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Grigg at 37 would have been a bit of Lenny replacement yeah? Im disappointed but time will tell if Elton, Kersten and Grigg turn out to be stars. I said it last year with Darling but time will tell. They are saints boys now but i'll definitely keep an eye on those three.

Strength through Loyalty
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Any of these players could end up as guns. All or none.

Luck, opportunity, character, development and mentoring will all have a part to play in the story.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Im not impressed. Ross would want to be worth it because his selectuon threw it all out.

We took him at 25, one ahead of Elton, who is the ideal choice for us. Ross would have gone to Essendon at pick 31. Instead they had to change and selected Merrett, who was linked to Geelong. Selecting the next best kid they get Kersten.

IMO we could have easily picked up Elton, Kersten and Markworth. Tall timber problem solved. Shattered missing out on Grigg by one spot and passed on Lockyer, we'll see how the Tassie kid goes. Furious at Wilkes' selection, why do we have to keep picking up delisted players???
Ross left in September. Move on :lol: :wink:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
St Ick wrote:Im not impressed. Ross would want to be worth it because his selectuon threw it all out.

Ross left in September. Move on :lol: :wink:
Haha I'll give ya that one...

Strength through Loyalty
santazzi
Club Player

I sit here, watch us let drift by names the punters rated highly, then we pick players never in my or most punters radar..........I scratch my head....I try to understand.......I search for words/reason to describe our selection... only one word keep on drifting in to my mind: CUTE...................

May the footy gods vindicate the selectors..........amen.......

TwoTowers
Club Player

I sit here, watch us let drift by names the punters rated highly, then we pick players never in my or most punters radar..........I scratch my head....I try to understand.......I search for words/reason to describe our selection... only one word keep on drifting in to my mind: CUTE...................
Well I didn't do a hell of a lot of prep on this draft but I was delighted to see that we snared 2 of shifter's top 30 and he is someone I do rate as a player analyst. Apart from that the boys look good on paper and happy with Wilkes who has to be a great chance to come straight in to the side at fullback.

santazzi
Club Player

TwoTowers wrote:
Well I didn't do a hell of a lot of prep on this draft but I was delighted to see that we snared 2 of shifter's top 30 and he is someone I do rate as a player analyst. Apart from that the boys look good on paper and happy with Wilkes who has to be a great chance to come straight in to the side at fullback.
Thanks TT your thoughts are comforting...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

A couple of "in my opinions" wouldnt have gone astray there...Elton IS the IDEAL choice for us? Categorically IS?? ..and youve had exactly how many years of AFL Draft experience to make such a definitive call?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:

A couple of "in my opinions" wouldnt have gone astray there...Elton IS the IDEAL choice for us? Categorically IS?? ..and youve had exactly how many years of AFL Draft experience to make such a definitive call?
'Who was considered, in my opinion, allegedly', maybe I could have said 'obvious' instead of 'ideal', blah blah... why bother with so many bloody disclaimers, its an opinion based forum of course its was my opinion directly after the draft. No Im not an afl recruiter but I took an interest in it and they weren't my choices... obviously thats my initial reaction and Ive since taken a backward step and im looking forward to seeing to kids we got grow... only if thats ok with you (I can pm you all of my comments so you can first proof read them)? What a crock of a criticism post... while u are at it did I miss any full stops, commas or capital letters?

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:37am, edited 2 times in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:33am, edited 4 times in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Last edited by St Ick on Fri 25 Nov 2011 10:16am, edited 3 times in total.

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Strength through Loyalty
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:We took him at 25, one ahead of Elton, who is the ideal choice for us.
i'm pretty happy we didn't get elton. we've already got a couple of mercurial talls who haven't quite fulfilled their potential in kosi and stanley. how many more do we need?

defacto
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
St Ick wrote:We took him at 25, one ahead of Elton, who is the ideal choice for us.
i'm pretty happy we didn't get elton. we've already got a couple of mercurial talls who haven't quite fulfilled their potential in kosi and stanley. how many more do we need?
i totally agree. we got slaughtered in clearances last year. its only going to get worse as hayes and dal santo get older.

steven has some injury concerns i am guessing.

a midfield of mcevoy, ross, ledger, steven/armitage/cripps is pretty damn exciting

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

defacto wrote:
bergholt wrote:
i totally agree. we got slaughtered in clearances last year. its only going to get worse as hayes and dal santo get older.

steven has some injury concerns i am guessing.

a midfield of mcevoy, ross, ledger, steven/armitage/cripps is pretty damn exciting
Page 125 in todays H-Sun mirrors my view from last night. My thoughts were Kosi is nearly 30, Stanley yet to produce results despite obvious talent. We picked up Lever who in hindsight could work out just as well as Elton will, but his drafting means we probably did have a need to add that type of player to our list for years to come.

I dont think Jack has injury concerns, I think he is just a very awkward runner but a natural footballer. Could be wrong though...

In what was considered a very shallow draft we did alright. Agree we needed to continue to plan for life without Lenny.

Hopefully this posts just once...

Strength through Loyalty