Dean Polo - can he go up another level?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:he's 25 years of age...just approaching his prime and was originally a top 20 selection...yes he can get better...and he will under a better coach..... :wink: 8-)
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

got something to say clown??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ross Lyon was a crap coach wasnt he?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:no i couldn't...because they are mainly duds...none of them as good as polo....how about you not giving me advice about what i can and cannot post..or say...ffs...it's just my opinion....and you have yours.....
touchy, big fella? you don't like it, argue with me about it. i wasn't telling you what to post, i was just saying you were wrong, and judging from your reaction you acknowledge that.
stinger wrote:ps...it's really only your last sentence that queered your post for me.....
thanks, that's very gracious of you. it's just the entire tone of your post that queered it for me. we're all wrong sometimes. maybe consider the possibility that you might have been rather than getting defensive.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the feeling is that Watters will take players as individuals and tailor programs and build confidence to improve their football. Ross was more of the tough love type, perform or go.

At collingwood Watters has been credited with developing his backline players and instilling self belief. polo looks like the type that might need someone to give him some belief.

If you saw his first game he looked like the next Judd.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:no i couldn't...because they are mainly duds...none of them as good as polo....how about you not giving me advice about what i can and cannot post..or say...ffs...it's just my opinion....and you have yours.....
touchy, big fella? you don't like it, argue with me about it. i wasn't telling you what to post, i was just saying you were wrong, and judging from your reaction you acknowledge that.
stinger wrote:ps...it's really only your last sentence that queered your post for me.....
thanks, that's very gracious of you. it's just the entire tone of your post that queered it for me. we're all wrong sometimes. maybe consider the possibility that you might have been rather than getting defensive.
:wink: :wink: ...me get something wrong?????not f****** likely...but...i thought your post had some merit in that all the guys you mentioned were high draft picks but duds nevertheless....polo is certainly not a dud....

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

check out his answer to the last question

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
crippa2sipa
Club Player

Good point.
The person who inspires Polo is Lenny Hayes. To coin a Big Martian phrase, "a real Ross Lyon Type".

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

He has had 7 years in the 'system' to improve to a level whereby most wouldn't chuckle at his output and his overall ability.

Nothing has changed.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:he's 25 years of age...just approaching his prime and was originally a top 20 selection...yes he can get better...and he will under a better coach..... :wink: 8-)

got something to say clown??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Just where exactly did he say that Lyon was a crap coach?????

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dud
imo

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

Just where did i say he did?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

thanks mate...you make a good point...i never have.....called him a lot of other things though... :wink: :wink: 8-) 8-)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

thanks mate...you make a good point...i never have.....called him a lot of other things though... :wink: :wink: 8-) 8-)
Why don't we just say "Polo may get better under a different coach" and all live happily ever after? 8-)
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Mon 28 Nov 2011 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richter
SS Life Member

hungry for a premiership wrote:I see Polo as in a similar vein to Clint Jones. Not blessed with great skill, but a hard nut who wins the ball.

Of course, Jones has been a consistent performer for a number of years and has had games where he has dominated. Polo could potentially get to around this level if the planets align for him.
1st choice mids: Lenny, Dal, BJ, Joey, Armo, Steven, Peake, Ray

Back-up: Jones, Dempster, Polo

Youth: Cripps, Ledger, Winmar, Ross

----------------------------

With Lenny coming back, can't really see a role for Polo. I expect Armo to play more through the middle this year, and with Lenny, Armo, Steven, Dal, Jones as inside mids ahead of him, I reckon that Polo is up against it to find himself a spot this year.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He is strong for a mid, a pretty good endurance runner, he can find the ball...uses it well by hand

His skill level by foot is woeful by afl standards, he is not quick...and an average decision maker - mainly due to his limitations

He has no outstanding qualities IMO and is handy for depth, but should not be in the seniors in front of a talented kid - cripps, ledger, even Ross now
Agree with you for once BM. Think he needs to get 100% out of himself, all of the time, to even be considered. If he is fully committed he will always be on the fringe and a respectable replacement. If he drops his guard by a few % he wont get a game IMO.

For mine it's if he can get the panic out of his game.

He can actually drill a goal quite nicely when he is on, it's just those blind bombs when he throws them on his boot and they usually end up nearly hitting the roof.

Composure is what he needs.

gurubob101
Club Player

We took Dean Polo at pick #103 in the draft. For that he's been extremely good value IMO. After Lenny went down he performed admirably as an in an under midfielder this season. Sure he's never going to be Nathan Buckley but I can't imagine why anyone would see him as anything other than an absolute bargain pick up after his efforts in 2011.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Can be used to protect younger bodies from the midfield battering. Handy back-up, but would need to take a quantum leap to be one of our top midfielders.

Kicking is third rate.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The problem with these 'insurance' players is that they inevitably take games away from youngsters, they're really only useful if you are challenging for a flag otherwise I think it just denies the younger guy valuable experience, which slows down overall development.

Like Gamble ahead of Walsh, Lynch and Siposs at times this year…

Polo did a good job this year, but I would really like to see some young guns trialled more next year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Can be used to protect younger bodies from the midfield battering. Handy back-up, but would need to take a quantum leap to be one of our top midfielders.

Kicking is third rate.

If he could just make a leap to be a handy running back to fill in for Gwilt and play to a standard similar Farren I'd be happy. would be worth holding onto.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

He needs to be replaced with someone who has better footskills. Skill errors equal turnovers equal goals against. This loses games. His upside does not outweigh his downside. I'd rather magner, marigliani or Horsley given a go in preference as they may still develop whereas I don't see Polo getting better at his game.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:I know blokes at my local club who are tough.....that alone wont cut the mustard....but I do see your point

He is an honest trier.....needs to get rid of the glove (I am serious)
Yep it really effected Cloke this year.
Ah the Cloke effect again, you forgot the Q Stick this time. I agree get rid of the glove.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:He needs to be replaced with someone who has better footskills. Skill errors equal turnovers equal goals against. This loses games. His upside does not outweigh his downside. I'd rather magner, marigliani or Horsley given a go in preference as they may still develop whereas I don't see Polo getting better at his game.
I'm not so sure he is such a bad kick, more suffers under pressure, that can be worked on and goes as they play more games and confidence grows.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Who will pressure Polo for a spot? We have a bunch of young players who haven't really shown a huge amount apart from a bit of promise so far. I am looking forward to the pre-season just to see who is taking the next step.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Reckon he can and he will need to be part of the team going forward after this year 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
killa_gram
Club Player

I reckon he's OK and will only get better. Played some good games for the Tiges (I think he won the Dreamtime medal twice?). Just needs a chance to become a settled member of the team. One to watch.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!