When did you start following the Saints and why

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkellerm
Club Player

I moved over from NZ (as alot do) back in '79 and I was only 12 at the time. When I saw the game on TV...I thought what the. It was called aerial ping pong back then. Everyone I knew was telling me go for this team, go for that team...My best friend was North Melbourne, so I sort of thought okay. My favourite sports which I played back then was basketball and the team that we went for was St Kilda so then we decided to go for St Kilda Saints. My first game was a miserable wet, rainy cold game St Kilda vs Cartlon at Waverley (typical weather), with my older brother and his friends, but I didn't look at the game I think we got flogged but I was more looking at the people, they were so into it...even the old ladies, i thought they were the worse...which made me laugh and a bit unbelievable. Anyway we didn't live far from Moorabbin so I would go just about every home game because I looked young I could get in for a $1 (plus wearing my cap) and I would take my 2 or 3 younger brothers with me and we would go really early to watch the reserves plus to get a seat on the boundary. My mum made me a red, white and black flag, which I took to every home game. I loved the atmosphere, banging on the fence and loved watching Lockett, Winmar, Harvey, Burkie, Cunningham, Frawley. When we won it was like we won the premiership..it was the best. I was in the cheer squad for a little while, had to go around with the blanket at half time, or take a bucket up to the grandstand and collect money. I am still the hardcore Saints fan in our family, although just about everyone in our family supports them and always want to know if they winning, my youngest brother changed to Collingwood...which is a sore spot for me! I love my brother..but gee why oh why. I even game him a ticket (which he paid) for last years GF replay but I made sure he wasn't sitting next to me (had to have him in the opposite side to me) just in case we lost. It pained me but I did buy him a collingwood t-shirt for christmas that had premiers on it. Anyway have been a SC member for 12 years and even raked in my hubby to sort of turn to the saints, but him being a swan was hard. This year at the finals Saints vs Swans game, I walked out...just went to the toilet...but it looked like i left, because I didn't tell, just had to move 5 or 6 rows back from him when I returned, plus the swan supporter next to me was on the phone during the game saying the rapist has got it..so they annoyed the hell out of me...Anyway love the Saints and haven't looked back. I just love most sports and its funny when we get together with the family...all the girls are not watching sports except me, I will be with the guys watching the sports on telly. I get it from my dad he is a passionate All Blacks supporter (like the rest of us) and I use to hear him down the street yelling at the TV when the rugby was on in my younger days.

This year I am looking forward to see alot of our players improving and with no pressure to perform as alot will say new coach...it will take time...we will surprise alot of teams this year. Here's hoping for a big 2012.

GO SAINTS!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

My choice to follow St Kilda was completely random. I was shopping with my family one Friday night around 1976. We were in Myer and I had to choose a VFL jumper. The store was closing and I had to pick one quickly. I looked up and saw the Saints jumper on the mannequin and liked the colours.

Windy Hill was a 10 min from where I grew up so that would have been handy. My poor dad had to drive me to Linton Street. I tried to switch to the Hawks in the 1980s but I couldn't do it. I wouldn't change a thing as it’s big part of who I am.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

My parents weren't interested in football, although, if the Swans stayed in South Melbourne, there was a small chance I could have ended up a Swans supporter for my grandpa followed them. However, I didn't like the idea of following a team that was based interstate and also I never liked the idea of clubs with bird mascots.

Like SaintPav, my fate in ending up as a Saints supporter was a little random. I asked my mother for a footy jumper at the age of 5. It just so happened the only guernseys they had in the sports store she went to were St.Kilda ones. I wasn't fussed in the least, for I also liked the colours. Not only that, one of my best friends at primary school was a Saints supporter. There were only three of us Sainters in the same year and we had to stick tight. Being in a minority as a St.Kilda supporter seemed to make my loyalty for the club only grow stronger.

Even if a lot of the experiences from being a Sainter have been harrowing, I just couldn't imagine supporting any other club. It has definitely been character building. I'll always love the Saints, no matter what. I also believe that sooner or later it will bring upon great rewards. I can sense a Premiership in the not so distant future. I think our club is good hands right now.

Here's to a bright future 8-)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

The short answer - having grown up in a non sport following family my reason also is random. I follow them because Molly Meldrum was always going on about them, lol. Saw my first game in about 75 v Bulldogs at Footscray and we lost by 3 points.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Schillaci
Club Player

Dad, Uncle and Grandfather all Sainters. Mum was not really a footy follower and so the brainwashing was easy. No flags in my 40 years but no regrets either.

Schillaci
Club Player

saintkellerm wrote:I moved over from NZ (as alot do) back in '79 and I was only 12 at the time. When I saw the game on TV...I thought what the. It was called aerial ping pong back then.
It's still called aerial ping pong over here by those neanderthal inter breeding Kiwis who follow Rugby.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My dad was born and bred in St.Kilda. played cricket for them, and played footy for St.Kilda City. I was born and bred in the Northern suburbs, but we used to catch a tram or bus to Clifton Hill, then the Point Ormond bus to the Junction oval every Saturday that we were playing cricket or footy at home. I apparently went to my first games in my pram. Footy crowds must have been a lot different in them days. My mum was also a staunch Saints supporter. Her favourite was Neil Roberts of course. My early favourites we Keith Rosewarne and Jim Ross. My father was a drinking mate of Bill Bray, Harold's brother, and used to meet him every Saturday after the game for a quick few pots. We used to sit or stand in the same spot each week, between the grandstand and the players race. I remember we even travelled to Kardinia Park one year. Super keen that was us.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My dad was born and bred in St.Kilda. played cricket for them, and played footy for St.Kilda City. I was born and bred in the Northern suburbs, but we used to catch a tram or bus to Clifton Hill, then the Point Ormond bus to the Junction oval every Saturday that we were playing cricket or footy at home. I apparently went to my first games in my pram. Footy crowds must have been a lot different in them days. My mum was also a staunch Saints supporter. Her favourite was Neil Roberts of course. My early favourites we Keith Rosewarne and Jim Ross. My father was a drinking mate of Bill Bray, Harold's brother, and used to meet him every Saturday after the game for a quick few pots. We used to sit or stand in the same spot each week, between the grandstand and the players race. I remember we even travelled to Kardinia Park one year. Super keen that was us.

loris
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote: I remember we even travelled to Kardinia Park one year. Super keen that was us.
Yep them were the days"borderbarry" when the highway to Geelong was just a two lane road................... boy it used to take hours to get there.

It used to take about an hour for Dad to drive across the city. We lived out Waverley/Chadstone way. He had to pass a couple of pubs on the way and have a drink :shock: :shock: Then about another couple of hours on the Geelong road. Seemed to take even longer coming home after a beating by the Cats............... and we usually lost a star player through injury. :( :( :(

Dad had this old Willies Overland truck, with no sides on it. Us four kids would sit on the back tray, usually freeze, Dad would give us an old smelly tarp to throw over us if it was raining. Ah we kids were tough in those days.............. How we never fell off because we liked standing up and looking over the top of the driving cabin. Parents weren't very precious with their children then that's for sure. And folks/ young 'uns we lived to tell the tales :P :P :P

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
borderbarry wrote:   I remember we even travelled to Kardinia Park one year.  Super keen that was us.
Yep them were the days"borderbarry" when the highway to Geelong was just a two lane road................... boy it used to take hours to get there.

It used to take about an hour for Dad to drive across the city.  We lived out Waverley/Chadstone way.  He had to pass a couple of pubs on the way and have a drink :shock:  :shock:  Then about another couple of hours on the Geelong road.  Seemed to take even longer coming home after a beating by the Cats............... and we usually lost a star player through injury. :(  :(  :( 

Dad had this old Willies Overland truck, with no sides on it.  Us four kids would sit on the back tray, usually freeze, Dad would give us an old smelly tarp to throw over us if it was raining.   Ah we kids were tough in those days.............. How we never fell off because we liked standing up and looking over the top of the driving cabin.  Parents weren't very precious with their children then that's for sure.  And folks/ young 'uns we lived to tell the tales :P  :P  :P
It was also a bit hairy getting your license and then driving from Moorabbin to Geelong and back in one of these ;-)

loris
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
loris wrote:
borderbarry wrote:   I remember we even travelled to Kardinia Park one year.  Super keen that was us.

It used to take about an hour for Dad to drive across the city.  We lived out Waverley/Chadstone way.  He had to pass a couple of pubs on the way and have a drink :shock:  :shock:  Then about another couple of hours on the Geelong road.  Seemed to take even longer coming home after a beating by the Cats............... and we usually lost a star player through injury. :(  :(  :( 

Dad had this old Willies Overland truck, with no sides on it.  Us four kids would sit on the back tray, usually freeze, Dad would give us an old smelly tarp to throw over us if it was raining.   Ah we kids were tough in those days.............. How we never fell off because we liked standing up and looking over the top of the driving cabin.  Parents weren't very precious with their children then that's for sure.  And folks/ young 'uns we lived to tell the tales :P  :P  :P
It was also a bit hairy getting your license and then driving from Moorabbin to Geelong and back in one of these ;-)

Aaaah now you are bringing back memories for me Spacey.

My first boyfriend had a Vanguard............... it was commonly referred to as a "pregnant pastie".

Gee he was cool dude this beau of mine. He would drive around the small streets in the inner suburbs, turn the ignition off an and on and make the car backfire. It really made a huge noise. He would pick out times when a little old lady (usually ethnic as they lived in inner city areas) was walking down the street struggling with all her shopping. :shock:

Wow these days he would be called a hoon :evil: :evil:

And I was so impressed with such behaviour :oops: :oops: Just shows that love makes one blind.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

came to Australia in the late 60s from Wales. I was 7 years old when we moved to Mitcham

A kid down the street was wearing this jumper and I thought it looked fantastic. I wanted one for myself, so I asked him where I could get one. That red white and black looked spectacular. Then he told me all about the saints. Well, my mum refused to buy me one of those jumpers, but from that moment I became a Saints fan. Bought my first jumper about 5 years later, and I've still got it. Sadlly, I started going to games on a regular basis in 1979, the moment the horrible slide began and I watched wooden spoon after wooden spoon for 11 years. But I LOVED those 11 years and they are in some ways my fondest memories of being a Saints fan. There was much mirth at Moorabbin during games in those days. Some truly hysterical moments within the animal enclosure and beyond.

By the way, I still remember the kid's name - David Marshall.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

born in St Kilda family on both sides, only found out in my grandfather's later days, that his father , my great gf, played 2 games for the Saints in 1910 - 1911
turned out he was scab labor during players strikes

will always remember the exploration (could never see the football) out on the back hill of the far outer, making ring pull chains and beer can stilts with other abandoned Saints fans kids running amok

sitting with my Grandfather watching Robbie Muir snot Dennis Collins in 1978
and hoping Geelong would lose so we could make the finals

Got really fanatical from 11-12 onwards, duffle coats, catching trains into the city and then out again, only to wind up getting flogged at Arden Street or the Western Oval - defiance!!! loved it, no matter what the outcome

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Highway to Geelong.. We had no car. It was the train for us.

sydney saint
Club Player

Mine is unusual . I'm from Sydney & brought up on Rugby League. I started following the Saints in 1965. A guy Frank Bird on TV on Channel 7 in Sydney did the Horse Racing & always mentioned the Saints at the start of the bulletin. Ironically my dad liked the Bombers who the Saints met in the 65 grand final. First game I saw the Saints was against Geelong at Moorabbin where Larry Donoghue kicked a bagful for the Cats. It was at Easter when we came down to visit friends. Cowboy Neale & Ross Smith were playing. Now living in the US & watch the Saints on the internet.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Migrated from the UK with my parents and younger brother in late 1965.

We stayed in St Kilda and East St Kilda for about 6 weeks before buying our own house.

Started school here in Year 7 and it quickly became apparent that I had to choose a team to barrack for. Chose St Kilda on the basis of those first 6 weeks.

Followed the Saints results throughout the 1966 season but couldn't really understand the game. My first Saints game was the Grand Final!

So, effectively, I was brought up on Baldock, Stewart, Davis, Mynott, Payze, Smith, Griffiths, Murray, Ditterich etc.

My parents and brother adopted St Kilda too. Now all my kids, my brother's kids, and my mother's sister, all follow St Kilda.

Richter
SS Life Member

Like many others, I am a UK migrant... though I came over much more recently than most... 2004.
I have lived in St Kilda or Elwood for all the time that I have been over here (bar a 2 month sojourn in Fitzroy a couple of years ago).

I followed the British tradition of following the club of where you live... hence in the UK it was Doncaster Rovers, though I also go for Man Utd in the premier league... incidentally both of those teams have red and white in their strips too; Man Utd, red white AND black....

The males in my family have always been big sport lovers of all varieties - both playing and watching - so it was inevitable that I would pick up Aussie Rules pretty quickly... became a member after watching the boys whip the Cats in the Wizard Cup final of 2004.... we all thought it was going to be the start of GT's famed 'decade of success'.....

... and in a few short months, we will have another male addition to the family, as my wife is pregnant - handily she is due on the 'spare' weekend date that is between the pre-season comp. and the start of the season proper!! Not sure what the record for the youngest Sainter is, but I reckon he'll hold it for a little while at least!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
loris wrote:

Holy moly Spaceman, what was that car? I liked my Valiants when I first got my license and thought they were old school. That looks like it came out of Lenningrad, that's a pretty different unit.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

This thread has been a great read.

.knew i was a saint when i found myself arguing with pops assertion that 0 goals lots of behinds was bad football by st kilda.

.i did sunday dinners with nan , pop and the parish priest, afl footy replay in b&w started at 12 , dinner at 1 , cribbage @ twenty cents a corner with beer at 2.

.the trade union rep in me went and stood shoulderto shoulder with my fellow saints
.the catholic priest to be , felt at home with the halo
.there was no other.

.beside the (local) seagulls (sandy bay in the tfl)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bushy

I grew up in Berrigan, just inside the NSW border and the local team were the Saints so it came quite naturally. One of my earliest memories was the 66 GF at age 6. Funnily enough, save for my aunt, most of my relations followed other teams (Dad and Carlton for reasons he's never articulated) though in mitigation it was then part of the old South Melbourne zone. I'll never regret being a Sainter - what doesn't hurt us makes us strong!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Image
Holy moly Spaceman, what was that car? I liked my Valiants when I first got my license and thought they were old school. That looks like it came out of Lenningrad, that's a pretty different unit.
It's a Standard Vanguard gringo.

My old man got his for a few hundred dollars not long after I got my license, mainly so I wouldn't keep pinching his EJ Station Wagon (which itself was about 15 years old). For a couple of years there I drove it to Uni and to the footy.

On one occasion at a Waverley game I parked it just off Wellington Road and returned to find a card had been left under the wiper blade. It was from someone from the Vanguard Car Club enquiring about this "interesting vehicle".

Was a lot of fun for a while there though you eventually get over average performance, handling and brakes :)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Average performance , handling and brakes !
Did i marry a Vangaurd ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:

My old man got his for a few hundred dollars not long after I got my license, mainly so I wouldn't keep pinching his EJ Station Wagon (which itself was about 15 years old). For a couple of years there I drove it to Uni and to the footy.

On one occasion at a Waverley game I parked it just off Wellington Road and returned to find a card had been left under the wiper blade. It was from someone from the Vanguard Car Club enquiring about this "interesting vehicle".

Was a lot of fun for a while there though you eventually get over average performance, handling and brakes :)
Were they English? It's kind of cool in a toaster on wheels kind of way. A bit like ironic bow ties.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:

Were they English? It's kind of cool in a toaster on wheels kind of way. A bit like ironic bow ties.
Yep they were English.

Heres a wiki link :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Vanguard

VODM
Club Player

Early 60's. My Mum was Captain Coach of a netball team in Sale called the Saints. Dad worked all w/ends so we kids all went to the netball. Just got used to barracking for a team called the Saints and it carried over. We used to watch the replay at night on the B&W with Dad when he got home and we would bet halfpennies on who would win. Couldn't tell what colors they were but us kids all picked the Saints, same name as Mum's team.