Dawson ready to repay faith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Team Tommy wrote:
Moccha wrote:In all fairness, he is not a good fullback whether St.Kilda needed him or not. A good full back is Scarlett, actually he is great and Dawson is light years away in ability. It's got nothing to do with Dawson's character but a lot to do with his inability as a footballer, he is actually a crap fullback. I'm glad we can develop someone else there.
He certainly would be one of the less talented players for fullback that the club has had in my time of following the club.
yeah, and apart from Max, we have had so many wonderful fullbacks.

Max, Danny and Zac were all very similar types.
Max was able to curb his jump into the back of his opponent by the end but for a long time his skill was to crash into the forward and chop arms. It is a different game these days.

For me Scarlett is a better player than SOS because he had a much tougher set of rules governing his position.

It is getting harder to fill the full back role than ever before. You need reach, timing, leap, closing speed, body strength and an ability to run close to the edge of the rules with out breaking them. Hope Wilkes has most of them.

Team Tommy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Team Tommy wrote:
Moccha wrote:In all fairness, he is not a good fullback whether St.Kilda needed him or not. A good full back is Scarlett, actually he is great and Dawson is light years away in ability. It's got nothing to do with Dawson's character but a lot to do with his inability as a footballer, he is actually a crap fullback. I'm glad we can develop someone else there.
He certainly would be one of the less talented players for fullback that the club has had in my time of following the club.

I was thinking about Trevor Barker, Verdun Howell and Bob Murray actually.

bergsone
SS Life Member

What did we get fo Dawson anyway?

Megsie
Club Player

Zac is ok just DUMB. Only had to listen to his interview on the chnl 10 news!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Team Tommy wrote:

Max was able to curb his jump into the back of his opponent by the end but for a long time his skill was to crash into the forward and chop arms. It is a different game these days.

For me Scarlett is a better player than SOS because he had a much tougher set of rules governing his position. It is getting harder to fill the full back role than ever before. You need reach, timing, leap, closing speed, body strength and an ability to run close to the edge of the rules with out breaking them. Hope Wilkes has most of them.
I don't agree with your comparison.
The rules today are far different today than they were when SOS was playing.
BUT in those days SOS always went to the 'gun' forward.

When was the last time Scarlett played on the best or even the second best key forward?
Geelong want him playing on the least effective key forward so that they can utilize his offensive game.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:What did we get fo Dawson anyway?
nothing
he walked the wanker

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
nothing
he walked the wanker
How does someone "walk the wanker"?

Is it the same as Lyon's strut? :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

my bad
he walked, the wanker 8-)
hope kozi puts a big knee into the back of his head and takes a screamer.

Furphy
Club Player

Not sorry to see the back of him, Dawson & Lyin deserve each other.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:Not sorry to see the back of him, Dawson & Lyin deserve each other.
Why would actually want to lose Dawson?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

He is a loss definitely. He was voted equal best player in our final series last year. The fact so many on here reckon he was hopeless tells 1 of 3 things,

1) they spend too much time listening to what the wider footy public think, instead of watching games themselves and making up their own minds

2) they are only interested in the offensive side of the game, and fail to appreciate that a backman's first job is to keep their opponent quiet,

3) that we often judge players on how they look, portray themselves out on the ground. Zac was an insipid character to look at, and I reckon plenty had decided he was a spud before he started playing.

Zac has great athletic ability for his height. What great full back isn't covered by the rest of the back line? Zac wasn't a great full back, but he wasn't terrible either, and will be dam hard to replace. The fact we got nothing for him means he's, a big loss.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
matrix wrote:
nothing
he walked the wanker
How does someone "walk the wanker"?

Is it the same as Lyon's strut? :wink:
For others it's like walking the planker but as Zac is such a wanker he does it differently

Another opportunity awaits!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Why the hate for Dawson?

He played in a back six that was almost inpenetratable in 09 and again excellent in 2010.

He did his job week in week out.

Was not the most talented player but did what was asked of him.

Walked when offered about $100k more than the Saints could offer.

Many hailed Ball as being a professional for walking for more money, why not Dawson?

Fair Dinkum, fickle supporters :roll:

Hope he goes crap for Freo, but thats just because I want everyone but the Saints to go crap.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Why the hate for Dawson?

He played in a back six that was almost inpenetratable in 09 and again excellent in 2010.

Many hailed Ball as being a professional for walking for more money, why not Dawson?

Hope he goes crap for Freo, but thats just because I want everyone but the Saints to go crap.
I was fine with him going.

He just didn't have to make the crap up about being away, and found he was delisted before he knew it, came as a surprise blah blah.

Just say I walked for the $

Not hard to do surely.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Dawson..Ball..Lyon..=..Return for the saints=NIL

Common thread LYON

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

It's common knowledge he was given the arse because of his inability to apply a condom to a flacide penis with any level of competence.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:

He just didn't have to make the crap up about being away, and found he was delisted before he knew it, came as a surprise blah blah.

Not hard to do surely.
"Made-up crap"???? It seems to me that you are the one making up crap by assuming that Dawson lied or that he walked for the $ only when he said there were other factors too.

There is not a shred of evidence to indicate that the club did not change its mind about Dawson while he was away - a change that may have been reflected not just in $ terms but in terms of the length of contract offered and other things that Pelchen or Nettlefold may have said to him that neither you nor I were privy to.

Just as a person may be constructively dismissed despite the appearance of a contract of employment continuing formally to be in effect, so some contracts are offered with the intention that they be rejected. There are plenty of reason for doing this - not least the fact that from a public relations standpoint, it looks better for the club if Dawson is made to look like the one who walked.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Lyon's lap dog.

No big loss.

Good kick, tries hard - questionable concentration, small frame, extremely worrying 1-on-1 under a long ball.

Cya Zac.

Glad you could salvage an AFL career at St Kilda though and move onto a much more inglorious one with the Heave Hoes.

All the best glad I won't be so stressed with long kicks forward (reserves right to say every new inclusion into the backline is/will be a gun/AA)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

There's no hatred for Dawson just a bit of banter.

Not much talent and we'll be OK without him

Fair Dinkum :roll:

Another opportunity awaits!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:No big loss IMO. I tend to think some of our fans overrate him. I can tell you now the general football public do not. He's seen as a hack and for good reason. The only issue is we don't know if we have an equal replacement. Time will tell.
So he is a hack but we dont have a hack to replace him. If he is a hack why didnt he get multiple goals kicked on him even if we did play a team defence?
You raise solid points however for the 35352135213th time he was the main beneficiary of a superb team defence under Rossco the Bossco.

I am sure Wilkes/Simpkin/God Knows/Reincarnated will get the same assistance that Dawson received as we do what we do pretty well.

At times Dawson and his worst was plain awful and it clouds judgement of some on here. Much in the same vein of Kosi's 4 awesome games in 05 - people see only that and hold out hope in their eyes. So be it though.

I for one think he is a sub-standard footballer and he will be somewhat protected with McPharlin, Grover and Silvagni around. All three (at different stages of their careers) are above average players at worst so life will be a little easier.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:

There's no hatred for Dawson just a bit of banter.

Not much talent and we'll be OK without him

Fair Dinkum :roll:
Ball is a gun player and looks like a solid bloke. The way he conducted himself in 2010 both before and after the Woods' win was nothing short of first-class and admirable.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Not hard to do surely.
"Made-up crap"???? It seems to me that you are the one making up crap by assuming that Dawson lied or that he walked for the $ only when he said there were other factors too.

There is not a shred of evidence to indicate that the club did not change its mind about Dawson while he was away - a change that may have been reflected not just in $ terms but in terms of the length of contract offered and other things that Pelchen or Nettlefold may have said to him that neither you nor I were privy to.

Just as a person may be constructively dismissed despite the appearance of a contract of employment continuing formally to be in effect, so some contracts are offered with the intention that they be rejected. There are plenty of reason for doing this - not least the fact that from a public relations standpoint, it looks better for the club if Dawson is made to look like the one who walked.
Why the angst?

He can have whatever reasons he wants, however he chose publicly to show mock surprise at his delisting. I fail to see how his delisting could come as a surprise when he didn't sign a contract (that had been on the table since mid year) and went on holidays.

I'll back the club on this one, over a guy at his third club by 25.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully we can string this thread out to 18 pages like the last Dawson one :shock:

We don't need Zuckerberg anymore, good luck* to him

*except against us

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Dawson's a total spud. There's one person in the football world that rates him. Ross Lyon. Dawson will be a failure at the Shockers just like he was with us and the Dawks. His comments in the artilce in the OP are an insult. The guy's a clownshoes of the highest order.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Dawson's a total spud. There's one person in the football world that rates him. Ross Lyon. Dawson will be a failure at the Shockers just like he was with us and the Dawks. His comments in the artilce in the OP are an insult. The guy's a clownshoes of the highest order.
Massive failure, holding down full-back in one of the tightest backlines in the history of the game…

From a rookie to 350K in a couple of years…

If that is failure, please let me fail too…